dcsimg

Festool Planex

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

I’m not discussing pricing here, but in what I think is a rare move for Festool, they are selling this item of 10% off for the month of Feb.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

It is certainly a rare move from the Green Monster. Do you have any experience using one? Seems like a no-brainer if you are dealing with sanding drywall often and are able to swing the cash.

John S

redwood
    Pro

No, but like all Festool, I’ve heard great things about it. One user even has a video out using it to sand a table, using multiple grits.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I wonder if it would work on a floor?

kzcarp
    Pro

I got that e-mail too. I’d pop for it if I could sell my P-C drywall sander. Got a kitchen maybe coming up, with nice tall ceilings…

kevin

I also read that it could be used to sand wood floors…would be easier than a floor sanding machine if it worked. Of course dry wall and removing popcorn ceilings would be a no brainer.

Orange County, CA

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I also read that it could be used to sand wood floors…would be easier than a floor sanding machine if it worked. Of course dry wall and removing popcorn ceilings would be a no brainer.

I always wondered about that, I bet it would make for a pretty clean job, those floor sanders make a hell of a mess. I don’t think I can justify it for the fence I need to repaint though:)

I think Festool are probably making a smart move, trying to get some more out into the market, the more drywall guys that see and try them the more they are going to move. I have my first ‘green’ order on the way, we’ll see how that cool aid tastes soon 🙂

I don’t think I can justify it for the fence I need to repaint though:)

I bet it would save you some time on your fence, but since I imagine you are sanding and painting it outside, it really wouldn’t make sense unless you are just itching to drop some cash on tools right now 🙂 Besides, aren’t you still on the fence about the Bosch vac? Seems like you would probably want a Festool vac if you did go the planex route…

John S

So far I think three BTP guys have bought their first Festools! Funny as I am now adding new Bosch tools to my shop

Orange County, CA

So far I think three BTP guys have bought their first Festools! Funny as I am now adding new Bosch tools to my shop

Matt R, myself, and who else?
    I still have to admit – I am still loyal to Bosch but if there is a tool by another company that truly beats the tar out of Bosch or Bosch doesn’t sell here (ie the track saw), I gotta do what I gotta do! 🙂

John S

redwood
    Pro

I honestly don’t think the Planex was designed for sanding floors, or they would include it in their marketing. I know that the guy sanding the table said that it was a bit unweildly. Floor sanders usually have some beef to them, so they don’t bounce and skip. The Planex has to be light enough to hold up and glide along walls and ceilings.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Matt R, myself, and who else?
    I still have to admit – I am still loyal to Bosch but if there is a tool by another company that truly beats the tar out of Bosch or Bosch doesn’t sell here (ie the track saw), I gotta do what I gotta do!

Got a Kapex, Dust collector and Domino. Scot is a very bad influence. LOL

I honestly don’t think the Planex was designed for sanding floors, or they would include it in their marketing. I know that the guy sanding the table said that it was a bit unweildly. Floor sanders usually have some beef to them, so they don’t bounce and skip. The Planex has to be light enough to hold up and glide along walls and ceilings.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/LdpA3j7e3CA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Yeah…do not think it was the intended purpose, but some guys on FOG have used it that way with good results. I never would have thought of leveling boards either but that video link you posted seemed like it did an ok job.

Orange County, CA

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I bet it would save you some time on your fence, but since I imagine you are sanding and painting it outside, it really wouldn’t make sense unless you are just itching to drop some cash on tools right now Besides, aren’t you still on the fence about the Bosch vac? Seems like you would probably want a Festool vac if you did go the planex route…

Ha, it would be the nicest fence in the neighbourhood but I think I would still need a stronger excuse to justify that purchase. I think the Bosch and Festool should be able to work pretty interchangeably according to the specs at least. In Canada the discount for the Festool packages is only 5% (don’t ask me why) so it made the decision to delay the dust collection a little bit easier, especially after I added up the extra bits I wanted for the track saw.

I still have to admit – I am still loyal to Bosch but if there is a tool by another company that truly beats the tar out of Bosch or Bosch doesn’t sell here (ie the track saw), I gotta do what I gotta do!

I’m in the same boat – with the track saw I had no option 🙂 It should arrive tomorrow! I am anxiously awaiting the Bosch vac, hoping it will make its way to Canada at the same time.

Yeah…do not think it was the intended purpose, but some guys on FOG have used it that way with good results. I never would have thought of leveling boards either but that video link you posted seemed like it did an ok job.

You’re right – it definitely wasn’t designed for that. I saw a thread today where they were talking about how if they bought the ROS125 and used it for their hardwood floor it would be cheaper then renting a unit…. those guys really are addicted 🙂 Now back to planex’ing my fence…..

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

For the price of the Planex you could probably hire a floor guy to sand it

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

For the price of the Planex you could probably hire a floor guy to sand it

Yep you’re probably right about that one. I might have to get mind sanded down, the dog has done them in. I think the Planex makes sense if you’ve got a big drywall job and you’re really worried about dust, or if you’re doing drywall all the time. I’ve seen a few of the good drywall guys using them around here – they’re actually some of the only Festools I see on jobsites here aside from the odd track saw.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Instead of a new thread I decided to bump this one just to keep continuity and searches easier. I have a couple of projects coming up where we will need to sand a lot of drywall to remove textures and smooth walls and ceilings. My options seem to be the Porter Cable 7800 or the Festool Planex. Is the Planex really a 2 1/2 times better tool for the money?

I know a few of you have one or both and am interested in the thoughts on one vs the other.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

We have both units on the job and they both work well. For remodel work where dust control is of utmost importance get the festool. For new work or where some escaping of dust wont hurt the PC will do well. Dont take my meaning that the PC wont take up dust, it does. I just find the planex a little better.

kzcarp
    Pro

From owning the PC and only having looked at the planex and seen it being demonstrated I think the big difference is the planex gets in closer to the corners. Both of them drop dust when you change from overhead to vertical on the walls. I still like my PC. There seem to be other sanding disc options for it now too.

kevin

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Yeah, have the PC and love it… It grabs over 95% of the dust I’d guess.

--Steve

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.866 seconds