dcsimg

Festool OF1010 and Edging Plate

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I like my Bosch Colt router and use it for lots of trimming and small edge treatments. But, when it comes to trimming 3/4 inch or thicker banding I really like using Festool’s OF1010 router and edging plate accessory. This set-up makes quick work of trimming with little risk of damaging the sheet goods with the router bit. The set-up helps minimize risk of tipping and you can dial it in for a perfectly flush cut. Here is a quick video I took of this set-up in action:

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that Festool makes some sweet tools. I love em and if I had any money they would get a lot of it? Is that edge banding ready for finish sanding?

Doobie

I’ve never seen that accessory for the 1010 router before. Do you know how long it has been around?

I have the MFK700 for doing that stuff but I’ve wanted a 1010 for many years. Just never pulled the trigger.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The set-up helps minimize risk of tipping

This would be the only reason I would use an accessory like this…otherwise a good flush trim but would do the job.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I think Fastcap put out something that works in a similar way but it uses flush trim router bits on a trim router. It’s just a rod/cylinder that screws into the base of a trim router.

Thanks for the video Scot. That add-on and method is a new one on me. Works nice. A friend has a Virutex Lipping Plane that does the same thing. For what it sells for you would have to do a lot of that flush trimming to pay for itself. This would be a reasonably priced way to go.

Doobie

The set-up helps minimize risk of tipping

This would be the only reason I would use an accessory like this…otherwise a good flush trim but would do the job.

Have you ever tried trimming that wide on the face side that way Jon? That is an impossible balancing/alignment job unless you have robotic-like steadiness abilities.

That’s incredible for keeping that edge straight . Makes for sure a fast process on doing those frames .

Always willing to learn .

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Very nice, I haven’t tried a Festool router yet but nice attachments like that make it tempting. The only thing I’ve wished for before seeing this was the better dust collection.

Thanks, guys. It is a good accessory and cheaper than the MFK700 set-up. It is a versatile router for sure if you go that route. Of course the accessories can add up quickly too.

Is that edge banding ready for finish sanding?

Yep — ready for finish or a very light swipe with sandpaper. I think I used some 320 over the entire piece before applying some finish.

Do you know how long it has been around?

Kevin – I think it has been around for as long as the have sold the 1010 in North America. They also have a bearing feeler kit you can use if trimming curved edging. If I did this kind of work all day, then the MFK is a better option. But for my use the 1010 is perfect. Lots of overlap with the MFK, but not limited to 5/8 or less edge banding.

Orange County, CA

. A friend has a Virutex Lipping Plane that does the same thing. For what it sells for you would have to do a lot of that flush trimming to pay for itself.

Yes – those tools can add up. Makes sense if you do enough banding, but this is a much cheaper way to go.

BTW – I use this for creating sliding dovetails as well – perfect for cutting the male joint with a dovetail bit and again, no tipping which can happen on larger work pieces and a router table fence.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

Kevin – I think it has been around for as long as the have sold the 1010 in North America.

Never seen it before. And I thought I knew most things Festool. I guess that is truly impossible.

How well does it work for removing thin glue edge bands?

Lots of overlap with the MFK, but not limited to 5/8 or less edge banding.

I’ve not had an issue with that limitation. But I know that in advance, so I stay away from that problem in my design/work.

The offset half degree base attachment reaĺy makes a difference. It really makes a clean job for that kind of task. Never felt the need to buy the zero degree base.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.442 seconds