dcsimg

Festool hose +power cord+ sleeve

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    yellaD
    Pro

Hey all, obv. we have seen the new Festool hose that’s got a sock on it…has anyone made one of these for themselves? What material did use and how well did it work out? i.e/ Did it help with the ribs catching on edge? Also is there a worry about heat build-up and/or losing the AS quality of hose? I was told by a rep at LV that using a Dust Deputy would short the circuit and void your Festool warranty. I realize Oneida + Festool have teamed up recently, but I mean the old separate Oneida. I was thinking of using rubber hose tube (for swimming pool) or buying a sock for central vaccuum hose. Anyone have experience?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’d think the material used on the sock wouldn’t generate static. I’ve heard that the circuitry on the CT vacs can be damaged by blasts of static electricity.

As for helping with the hose snagging on things, my initial thought is that it would need to be fairly thick or it wouldn’t help much.

Will Festool be selling these as a stand alone items for hoses people already own?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Will Festool be selling these as a stand alone items for hoses people already own?

I have seen that there is a 3.5M and 10M version for sale with systainer. I have not seen them offering a diy sock for your existing cord and hose. Warning – Sticker shock!!

yellaD
    Pro

I have not seen it by itself, just as a 3.5m with systainer for $$$$ and a 10m without the systainer. The pool rubber hose (https://www.lowes.ca/lowesca-promo-clearance-outdoor/aqua-ez-1-12-in-x-50-ft-backwash-hose_g1435835.html?searchTerm=pool-hose )is thick enough to help with snagging, the central vac sock is sketchy (I can’t find the link online, but seen it in the store). It’s about the same thickness as a sport sock but different material and looser weave fabric.

Doobie

Hey all, obv. we have seen the new Festool hose that’s got a sock on it…has anyone made one of these for themselves? What material did use and how well did it work out? i.e/ Did it help with the ribs catching on edge? Also is there a worry about heat build-up and/or losing the AS quality of hose?

Yes, I did this years ago to both of my 27mm and 35mm hoses using this stuff.

http://www.techflex.com/prod_pet.asp

Works great. Only needed one roll of the same size of wrap for both diameter hoses.

No snags. No static disabling. You could even add the power cord inside sandwhiched betwen the vac hose and wrap which I didn’t bother doing myself but have seen others do just fine.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Hey all, obv. we have seen the new Festool hose that’s got a sock on it…has anyone made one of these for themselves? What material did use and how well did it work out? i.e/ Did it help with the ribs catching on edge? Also is there a worry about heat build-up and/or losing the AS quality of hose?

Works great. Only needed one roll of the same size of wrap for both diameter hoses.

No snags. No static disabling. You could even add the power cord inside sandwhiched betwen the vac hose and wrap which I didn’t bother doing myself but have seen others do just fine.

Interesting, and where did you pick this up and what was the price? I could use this on my big dust collector as well since that thing catches on everything.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Warning – Sticker shock!!

Sticker shock is right. But it does come with a Systainer.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That looks like a great alternative. Thanks for posting the link Doobie. I am going to check this out.

yellaD
    Pro

Yes @Doobie, that is a great link. Which style did you buy and how much did you spend? There are so many good looking options, esp. some of the heavy duty application ones. R-ice, u want to share an order?

Doobie

You have to either burn/melt the cut ends, or tape it down otherwise it frays apart.

I used high friction self sticking silicone tape for most of my hose ends as it leaves no sticky residue.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

yellaD
    Pro

Hey @doobie, I see that you got the 1.5″ PET…
    1) Does it fit both cord + hose inside?
    2) For 27mm hose, would u recommend a smaller diameter sock, because it is flex?
    3) Would you order a different style next time (wrap around, etc) or same?

Thanks

Doobie

1) Does it fit both cord + hose inside?

It can easily accommodate the cord inside for either the 27 or the 35mm vac hose.

2) For 27mm hose, would u recommend a smaller diameter sock, because it is flex?

Nope. But if it’s the only hose you will need it for, I’d probably go 1 inch instead.

I went with a roll of it and did two hoses. I have enough left for another hose and a half length down the road.

I did it about 4-5 years ago and the stuff lasts a long time obviously. It doesn’t get snagged easy on sharp pointy things.

3) Would you order a different style next time (wrap around, etc) or same?

What do you mean by a different style? What alternative? (Link please.)

yellaD
    Pro
    yellaD
    Pro

A guy came into Lowe’s today and he bought a length of clear plastic braided tubing for bundling wires. He needed it to be see through, co he chose the clear plastic. We starting talking and he mentioned that he went to a firehall and asked for a length of hose. They have to cut up and dispose of “old” hoses on a schedule so he got 15ft for free. He used that for his vacuum hose protection. What a good idea!

Doobie

A guy came into Lowe’s today and he bought a length of clear plastic braided tubing for bundling wires. He needed it to be see through, co he chose the clear plastic. We starting talking and he mentioned that he went to a firehall and asked for a length of hose. They have to cut up and dispose of “old” hoses on a schedule so he got 15ft for free. He used that for his vacuum hose protection. What a good idea!

I would imagine fire hose is heavy. The Flexto stuff weighs nothing practically.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I would imagine fire hose is heavy. The Flexto stuff weighs nothing practically.

so did you end up getting the techflix stuff off the website or is there a physical store we an go in and buy a roll.

@yellad
    I’ll look at it and see what we can get, i’ll split a roll for my festool tube and i’ll have to get another one that is 5 inches for my onieda mini gorilla.

Doobie

so did you end up getting the techflix stuff off the website or is there a physical store we an go in and buy a roll.

I got it off a US website. Don’t recall where. It was years ago.

Doobie

I got it off a US website. Don’t recall where. It was years ago.

Found it. Look in this thread for a lot more details about my experience with the hose sock.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?37513-Where-can-I-buy-vac-hose-socks

yellaD
    Pro

I just checked out the link to cabletiesandmore.ca site and I think I might do same as you. I looked at the PET wrap and it’s quite a bit more expensive, so probably won’t go that route. I think I’m get the 1″ for my 27mm + cord inside, should fit?

Doobie

I just checked out the link to cabletiesandmore.ca site and I think I might do same as you. I looked at the PET wrap and it’s quite a bit more expensive, so probably won’t go that route. I think I’m get the 1″ for my 27mm + cord inside, should fit?

It’ll fit. The stuff stretches a decent amount.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.572 seconds