dcsimg

Festool durability?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

It seems most people love festool and will spend a lot of money on some tools just because they are green. This isn’t to slam festool at all I just want other people’s experience. Like today we were using the company ts55 to rip some birch plywood an it blew up on us. It’s about a year and a half old. Also the guy I work with had a trion jig saw that had to be rebuilt a couple times. Is it just me or should the tools hold up a little better for the price you pay.

It happens to all tools no matter the make and cost . If it runs by a mechanical movement it should break down .

Always willing to learn .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

That’s true I was going g to say something like that but I have heard of a lot of cases of featools burning up. The track saw was not that old. I have used plenty other saws, not track saws just cordless, way more than the festool off multiple brands and they never burnt up. I just feal that I have to be more delicate using the green tools.

That’s true I was going g to say something like that but I have heard of a lot of cases of featools burning up. The track saw was not that old. I have used plenty other saws, not track saws just cordless, way more than the festool off multiple brands and they never burnt up. I just feal that I have to be more delicate using the green tools.

One thing I will say is I wish the motor was a higher amperage . I sometimes slow down when cutting with my TS55 Req .

Clev08
    Pro

I don’t know many people who own festool tools around here, one guy has a track saw that has been working well. But I do agree, if you pay that much for a tool you expect it to last longer than 1 1/2 years

redwood
    Pro

My Kapex died after about 3 years, just out of warranty. I wasn’t happy about that.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I think with the amount of drama that occurs on the Festool Owners Group forum over the Kapex and then the various other issues with the TS55REQ, there’s enough to indicate that something’s going on and it might not be all happy green kool aid. That and the original P400 Carvex.

All that being said, Festool seems to have a few core tools (Historic or current) that are effectively problem free and just do exactly what they do and very well.

Maybe the problems are related to the rumors I read that Festool expanded too quickly.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

The most expensive things we own need major money sometimes. Houses, cars, and trucks. Those are pretty expensive things. They need a lot of maintenance. Tools are no different. Luck of the draw really.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I don’t own any festool, nor do I plan on buying any however I have to side with @crpntrfeak on this one, and say it’s the luck of the draw.

I’ve got a good friend who had a 2013 f150 ecoboost that was towed more then it was driven, now he just got a 2016 ecoboost and at 7500km it’s been towed to the shop as well. But every other person I know with that engine loves it and have had no issues. Pure bs luck for the most part.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

festools are expensive and they do have good technology, they should last a little longer but heck if you want better, go for mafell. I like the ts55 that i have and i would get the domino system in time but thats about all i want from festool.

festools are expensive and they do have good technology, they should last a little longer but heck if you want better, go for mafell. I like the ts55 that i have and i would get the domino system in time but thats about all i want from festool.

I am eagerly awaiting the day other manufacturers start making domino type tools… one day the patent will be up, or someone at Festool will agree to licence the tech.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I am in the same boat. I plan on buying my own track saw and when I do it will be a mafell. With the domino it is a great tool so yeah it will also be the only festool that I buy as well.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I am eagerly awaiting the day other manufacturers start making domino type tools… one day the patent will be up, or someone at Festool will agree to licence the tech.

If I recall,that won’t happen for quite a few years. What’s the life of a patent in the tool world?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

If I recall,that won’t happen for quite a few years. What’s the life of a patent in the tool world?

When that happens, you’ll know. I remember when the Honda 90 patent was up. Holy cow! There were copies everywhere you looked.

Remember guys that festool has a greater market share over the last 5 years now in US . So herein that people have a problem shouldn’t be news . Laws of average start to kick in. It’s the system you are also buying into with the dust control and storage which pretty awesome

Doobie

I have a lot of Festool. Without counting, easily over 20K of their stuff. It’s a system that works well for me and I love my nice light Kapex and am truly a devotee of my two Dominos. It’s the system accesories that can really add up.

But they are ridiculously expensive beyond their higher than average quality. I don’t buy a type of tool just because Festool makes it. I bought a Mirka Deros last year because I thought it was better than the Festool equivalent and I still wish I never bought their Trion jigsaw over getting the Bosch barrel grip model. But I do like my two CT vacs over wanting the Bosch ones still even after a detailed analysis of the Bosch offerings.

Overall, I like Festool, but I’m not stupid about them like some others are.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I had a Fesstool vac go down, i think it is the switch. the switch was about $130 and i have to send it to indiana too have it fixed. My guess is i would have over $250 into repairing a $500 Vac. I do not think I had 50 hours on the Vac, probably less than 25

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I had a Fesstool vac go down, i think it is the switch. the switch was about $130 and i have to send it to indiana too have it fixed. My guess is i would have over $250 into repairing a $500 Vac. I do not think I had 50 hours on the Vac, probably less than 25

was it not under warranty? could you not have just brought to a regular vac technician ?

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Tools break down, that is just a fact of life. I think you are paying for professional results. If the tool happens to also be durable, that would be a plus. I bought a TS55 used about 2 years ago. We don’t use it all that much, but it has held up really well.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

was it not under warranty? could you not have just brought to a regular vac technician ?

It was out of warranty. I probably could fix it myself but I still would have 130 in parts just for a switch. Crazy when the whole vac is 500.

I had a compressor where the pressure regulator was a part of a manifold, the compressor was about $149 new and the regulator and manifold that you had to buy complete was $119 I ended up building a new maniford and reworking the shroud a little to get it back working. I know tools will break, but it is frustrating that replacement parts are so expensive, crazy in my book.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.419 seconds