dcsimg

Festool Cordless Drill QUADRIVE PDC Review

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Festool is known for their super high quality made in Germany tools. They are also known for their higher prices too. Their hammer drill/driver is is of no exception either. So the biggest question I always hear with these tools is “Are they worth it?” Before answering that lets see some of the drills features and what it can do.

There are two ways to buy this drill, basic or set. With the basic you get the drill, side handle, plastic keyless chuck, and a centrotec quick chuck with a couple bits in a sys2 with an attic storage lid. All this for 350 bucks. The set comes with all this plus 2 batteries with bumpers, a charger and the right angle chuck for 660.

Quadrive means 4 speeds 400, 850, 1850 and 3800rpm’s. It also has an electronic clutch and hammer mode on the top. At the base of the drill is a pretty bright light that also will show the battery level when you cycle through the button. Also there are 2 flip out clips on both sides. The kit comes with 3 interchangeable chucks but there are about a half dozen other ones that can be purchased. They all go on pretty easily by sliding the back of the chuck forward in some way.

So how does the drill preform? First off even though its max torque is rated for 531 in-lbs it does have the power to do everything that i have asked it to do. One of the biggest things was a 6 3/8″ hole saw through 1/2″ plywood. I have also done a 4″ hole saw through 2″ of harderwood. The speed that this drill has on its forth setting is one of the best things about it. 3800 rmps is fast! When using it on something like a kreg jig is makes that pocket hole in wood so fast and smooth. For a lot of applications its even to fast. Most of the time the drill is on the 3rd setting. But on all of the settings the variable speed trigger works very very well. Its smooth and you are able to precisely get the speed you want. The whole drill is very smooth when running. So smooth that at its highest speed I almost thought it wasn’t working and not running at the speed it was because there is no vibration or runout. The hammer drill feature works exactly how it should work. This will never beat a rotary hammer and in my opinion is good for a hand full of holes in nothing harder than block or mortar. But its very convenient to have on the drill. The chucks are nice but 95% of the time the regular keyless chuck is what is used with it. I hardly ever use the centrotec chuck. One reason is besides the bit that came with it, that accepts any regular 1″ hex shank bit, you need festool propriety centrotec bits to use it. It makes it nice if you buy into those bits but they are like all other festool products, pricy. The right angle head is really nice though. It clicks into the drill at about a dozen different orientations. Then you can put in either a 1/4″ hex bit or another head like the regular chuck. It gets into tight spaces and makes the drill really versatile. The design of it to makes it really easy to get pressure on the head with using that attachment. The clutch works well on it and is highly sensitive on the lowest setting. Even on the highest setting it can be a little to sensitive. I wish the settings went higher for a little more versatility. But being an e clutch is cool. Instead of the motor still spinning and the clutch is slipping the drill beeps and shuts off completely even with the trigger still pressed.

The light at the bottom is very bright and shines right at the end of the drill with little shadowing. However there is a flaw with it in my opinion. The light only comes on when you push the button at the bottom. You push it once and it comes on and will stay on till you push the button again. It doesn’t come on when you pull the trigger. Not sure why they did it like this, it wouldv been easy to make one more cycle setting on the button to do that. When you do turn the light off it cycles to show how much battery is left which is indicated by a green light. The 2 hooks at the bottom are nice they flip out when you need them and flip out of the way when you dont so you wont catch them on your cloths.

This drill is very nice and the smoothest drill I have ever used. Its a little on the heavy and big side though. Even though its very powerful it still doesnt seem as powerful as some of the other top of the line drills that have over 1000in-lbs of torque. Its like the difference between a high reving smooth v12 engine and a big bore v8. The drill is good for the higher demanding jobs that you would have on a finish job that maybe a compact or 12v wouldn’t have.

So Back to the 660 dollar question. Is it worth it? No. I dont think it is. It cant do anything another top of the line drill can do. The different chucks are nice but for 30-40 dollars you can get a right angle attachment that will chuck into any other drill. Now if you are into the festool system and really just want it or money isnt an issue then go for it. The drill wont let you down. If this drill was the same price as most other drills, around 300 bucks for the kit then it would be a contender but even then I could see other options being better for rougher work. Bottom line great smooth drill for heavy duty finish work but not worth the price.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Did you hit the lottery or something? A lot of reviews here in the last few days.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@warren6810 haha no that would be great but if I did I would definitely have a ton more tools to review. Just picked up a new computer. I havent had one in a year or more. Thats why I havent been on here. Its to much of a pain to write a long review from my phone. These are all reviews that I had been thinking about writing for a little bit and I had some time.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

haha no that would be great but if I did I would definitely have a ton more tools to review. Just picked up a new computer. I havent had one in a year or more. Thats why I havent been on here. Its to much of a pain to write a long review from my phone. These are all reviews that I had been thinking about writing for a little bit and I had some time.

it would not even come into my mind to write a review on the phone. will be typing for days haha. great review tho austin

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I was thinking the same thing, you have been busy writing reviews! Keep up the good work of keeping us informed!

Thanks for a thorough review on this drill. I think you are spot on in your price analysis. Keep them coming!

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I really like my little CXS drill with all the attachments, but it was more reasonably priced in my opinion

Doobie

So Back to the 660 dollar question. Is it worth it? No. I dont think it is. It cant do anything another top of the line drill can do. The different chucks are nice but for 30-40 dollars you can get a right angle attachment that will chuck into any other drill. Now if you are into the festool system and really just want it or money isnt an issue then go for it. The drill wont let you down. If this drill was the same price as most other drills, around 300 bucks for the kit then it would be a contender but even then I could see other options being better for rougher work. Bottom line great smooth drill for heavy duty finish work but not worth the price.

Nice to see an honest opinion like this. Good review!👍

Nice to see an honest opinion like this. Good review!👍

Great review. Appreciate your view point. I actually think Festool drills are among the better ones out there, specifically because of the different chucks. I like that the PDC is really fast. For standard drilling, I like my Bosch just fine, but when you need to get into a weird, tight space, that is when the right angle chuck shines.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So Back to the 660 dollar question. Is it worth it? No.

Austin Thank you for the review, really enjoyed it. I came to the same conclusion many years ago on Festool.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.233 seconds