dcsimg

Fencing for yard?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Hi folks.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. Sorry about that!

I’m planning on redoing a few short sections of fence (about 25 ft and 50 ft) in my back yard. I am hoping for white picket style, maybe 3 or 4 feet tall. The smaller section needs a walking gate, and the larger section needs a gate that can be driven through (for tree work, septic pumping, etc).

I’m mostly wondering about sourcing for a quality fence that doesn’t look cheap. I don’t mind PVC and have done plenty of work with that material before. Is there an online site that is reputable and has quality product? Are the Home Depot/Lowe’s products worthwhile?

I don’t mind paying for something that is quality in terms of looks and durability. Will I get that going through a big box store? Any tips on sourcing fencing material are appreciated! I am about 30 mins West of Boston, if that is helpful for anyone.

Thanks so much!

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Do you have some pictures with that PVC fence that you want? I don’t remember seeing PVC fences in my neighborhood.

Do you have some pictures with that PVC fence that you want? I don’t remember seeing PVC fences in my neighborhood.

I’ve been calling a few places to replace my 6×6 posts , 🤯 most of them want to replace my wood fence for frost or PVC/ or composite 💵💵💵💵
    Looks like I’ll be replacing the posts myself slowly very slowly especially with this bum shoulder

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I’m not quite sure exactly.

Are PVC and vinyl fences the same thing? I have had cheapo vinyl fence (privacy fence rather than picket but still) that looked flimsy and cheap. I am looking for something a little nicer than base level vinyl, something that looks more like actual wood. Like an Azek product but picket fence specifically.

I can definitely make a trip to Home Depot to check out what they offer, but I’m finding it hard to justify going to browse during these times, even though I have time available right now to install. Just wondering if I’d be better off going through a specialty online fence store or if HD/Lowe’s has product that people on this site trust for their own homes. Tough to buy fencing online because you can’t feel it and know what the quality will be. I’m afraid I’ll end up with something I don’t exactly want then be stuck trying to deal with an online company for shipping, etc.

Thanks fellas for the responses.

Doobie

I bought and installed an Eon brand plastic fence I bought thru HD about 15 years ago for the 65 foot long fence at the rear of my backyard that butts onto a grassed greenbelt.

The problem I encountered was the kids who drive the big ride on mowers for cutting the lawn back there would smash into the posts bases which are basically sleeves that slip over 4X4’s. When i went to look into repairing/replacing them after a few years, I found out the company that made this fencing went belly up two years after I had bought their stuff and there was no leftover parts available to be had even going thru in speaking with the bankruptcy receiver. So much for the 25 year warranty it came with.

Food for thought for you. Wood will never go bankrupt.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Wood will never go bankrupt.

I had the same problem on some lifetime guarantee double pane windows. Company went belly up about the time some of the window seals gave out and the windows “fogged” up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I had the same problem on some lifetime guarantee double pane windows. Company went belly up about the time some of the window seals gave out and the windows “fogged” up.

Actually, that also happened to us. The windows that the previous owner of our house put in almost all were developing leaks long within the warranty period. Contacted the manufacturer Alcan, and was told their window division went belly up and there was nothing they could do.

@theamcguy yeah we won’t talk about companies that have gone belly up and Lost warranty , my LG from Sears , but we won’t get into that on this thread , sorry for detailing with my comment 🤷‍♂️🤫

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I bought and installed an Eon brand plastic fence I bought thru HD about 15 years ago for the 65 foot long fence at the rear of my backyard that butts onto a grassed greenbelt.

The problem I encountered was the kids who drive the big ride on mowers for cutting the lawn back there would smash into the posts bases which are basically sleeves that slip over 4X4’s. When i went to look into repairing/replacing them after a few years, I found out the company that made this fencing went belly up two years after I had bought their stuff and there was no leftover parts available to be had even going thru in speaking with the bankruptcy receiver. So much for the 25 year warranty it came with.

Food for thought for you. Wood will never go bankrupt.

Fair points. I am the one who is doing the mowing so I am not too worried about that. I am just looking for something low maintenance that looks good. Thanks everybody for the responses.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That’s the best choice.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

That’s the best choice.

I think I would have to agree.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

That’s the best choice.

Well, it will when our sun goes super nova in 3-4 billion years or so, but I’ll take my chances. Lol!

That’s the best choice.

I think I wood also agree 🤭🤫

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.351 seconds