dcsimg

fence fix

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Okay, what do you guys think about this, clean the tops up, they look pretty good except for the one that woody has been pecking at, but for the others, I was thinking clear the top, P L premium Coated or pitch or something to protect the top. Then I was going to use cedar for the caps, then stained,
    Should give the fence a couple of more years,

That’s something like you guys have been saying

The only one that I will have to change is the one that is really bad, it’s about 1/4 way down the post.

PL premium tend to bubble as it cures if there’s no pressure holding it down, maybe try some sort of polyurethane caulking?

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Have got a woodpecker here at my home that seems to be confused. He sits on top of the power pole and let’s the cable junction box have it…sounds like a round of ammo going off

Oh it’s intentional, it’s their mating/territorial call. When they are actually looking for bugs you rarely hear it.

Doobie

Okay, what do you guys think about this, clean the tops up, they look pretty good except for the one that woody has been pecking at, but for the others, I was thinking clear the top, P L premium Coated or pitch or something to protect the top. Then I was going to use cedar for the caps, then stained,
    Should give the fence a couple of more years,

That’s something like you guys have been saying

The only one that I will have to change is the one that is really bad, it’s about 1/4 way down the post.

Back to my earlier recommendation of West Systems G-Flex Epoxy.

Replaced one cap today, to protect the bare post sealed the post top

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I used the same setup on my clothline pole, but I silicone caulked the bottom gap and painted the whole thing to make sure no water gets in.

Doobie

What did you seal the top with Brian?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks good! What did you use to seal the top of the post?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

good job -its coming along

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks better than before. I would slant the top of the cap a bit so the water will naturally drain off.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Looks better than before. I would slant the top of the cap a bit so the water will naturally drain off.

That’s always more desirable but I’m guessing he didn’t want to redo them all and just wanted them to look consistent for now.

That’s always more desirable but I’m guessing he didn’t want to redo them all and just wanted them to look consistent for now.

Thanks again, actually I used the plane on the tops, seeing how they are 6×6 I’m guessing the person who put up the posts cut them with a circ saw and finished with a recip saw, after I removed the old crap cap, I evened out the top, with a slight slant, then used P L and a small trowel to make an even coat, pre drilled the caps, then installed them, the P L squeezed out the sides, and made a nice seal, and of course made sure how the crown was facing the right way to help with the water run off. Only 37 more to do 🙂

Doobie

Thanks again, actually I used the plane on the tops, seeing how they are 6×6 I’m guessing the person who put up the posts cut them with a circ saw and finished with a recip saw, after I removed the old crap cap, I evened out the top, with a slight slant, then used P L and a small trowel to make an even coat, pre drilled the caps, then installed them, the P L squeezed out the sides, and made a nice seal, and of class made sure how the crown was facing the right way to help with the water run off. Only 37 more to do :)

You may have created another problem though. The wood cap is tight to the post over a large area of its bottom and as the new cap expands and contracts, it may cause excessive splitting of the cap. That’s why I was recommending a recessed bottom of the cap and only glue the center more or less.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks again, actually I used the plane on the tops, seeing how they are 6×6 I’m guessing the person who put up the posts cut them with a circ saw and finished with a recip saw, after I removed the old crap cap, I evened out the top, with a slight slant, then used P L and a small trowel to make an even coat, pre drilled the caps, then installed them, the P L squeezed out the sides, and made a nice seal, and of class made sure how the crown was facing the right way to help with the water run off. Only 37 more to do :)

Looking good, Brian. That fix should give you the extra years you are looking for.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Only 37 more to do

Looking good. Glad you put a slant on it. 37 more, hope you get a production line going.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Do you plan to paint it? If not maybe slap some thompson’s water seal on top to keep water from soaking in.

Doobie

I do hope it works for the long run. That PL is a bugger to remove if you have to address it again.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Personally I think it will do the same as the other caps. I needs more pitch like a roof .

Do you plan to paint it? If not maybe slap some thompson’s water seal on top to keep water from soaking in.

I will probably do like you said, just Thompson water seal this year, next year I have to find the time to restain the entire fence,

@smallerstick
    thanks, I think your right I should get a few more years out of the fence.

@theamcguy
    thanks Bill, it was a good suggestion. Hope I can finish the other ones off this weekend.

@Doobie
    I think it should be good, it will definitely give me extra life time on the fence. Besides the old ones were just P T and not Cedar, and if I have to replace them I can always trim a inch off the posts 😉 or even cut them flush and add a flat 2×6 running on the tops of the fence.

Doobie

Personally I think it will do the same as the other caps. I needs more pitch like a roof .

Hate to say it, but I agree as well. 🙁

I would have avoided drilling screws thru the top as well. 🙁 🙁

Hate to say it, but I agree as well. :(

I would have avoided drilling screws thru the top as well. :( :(

So out of curiosity how would you of attached the caps then. Might have a better solution before I do the others.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.340 seconds