dcsimg

fence fix

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Hey , I have to fix my 6×6 treated fence posts , the fence is about 9 years old , some of the caps have rotted away, either by insects or just by water damage , even have some holes put in by wood peckers , what would you guys and gals do for filling any holes created by the woodpeckers , I will be buying the 2×8 treated wood and making new caps. but what would you use to plug holes from the wood peckers , , I will try to post some pictures when I get home later . thanks for the help.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Even if you fill the holes what is going to stop them from making new ones ? 🙂 Im surprised they would even peck at a PT fence in the first place .

Even if you fill the holes what is going to stop them from making new ones ? :-) Im surprised they would even peck at a PT fence in the first place .

Yes, I am surprised as well. I have a small wooded area behind our house, lots of wildlife. I think it is because of ants, could that be. I noticed some ants at some of his fence posts. I’m thinking Carpenter ants. I was going to ask them what they thought also lol.

The posts are still in good shape, don’t have to be replaced yet, just trying to keep them good for a few more years.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Maybe some plastic or metal caps?

--Steve

Maybe some plastic or metal caps?

Yes that a good idea it’s not only the caps, they picked away at the posts just under his caps. I have 38 caps to replace,

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

How big are the holes? maybe you could drill them and glue a plug in?

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I would fill the holes with Bondo.

Maybe a strip of hardware cloth around the tops.

Doobie

Carpenter ants pretty well only go for rotting wood. Unlike termites, they don’t eat the wood for food, they only burrow thru softens woods to make a home.

For the woodpecker holes, either make plugs and epoxy or glue them in or use bondo.

For caps, what about store bought metal ones?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’d replace the caps with PVC ones.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

When you make the caps , put a pitch on them to shed the water when it rains. From what I see that was a lot of the problem.
    I’m not sure about the bondo. There are a lot of temp changes there and bondo and wood expand and contract different. Ants like moisture and I’m sure it stayed moist under those flat caps. Maybe just me but at least the caps do not look like pt wood.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I would cut them all off flush and add a new 2×6 top plate to the top of the fence .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Brian,
    Go with a man made cap, once on you never have to worry about it.

Definitely water rot there, I can see why the woodpeckers are foraging for food.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

Okay, thanks for the tips so far, here are some pictures.

How are the necks? (Where the wood post is near the ground.) Are they rotting too maybe?

If you are going to make your own caps again, try to make the part that fits on the post top recessed so that capilary action doesn’t just cause the water to flow off the top of the cap and get into the top of the post but instead flows down the side of the post instead. You’l likely need to router that recess into the bottom of the cap.

With a cap design top so flat, you might want to build the top somehow so that water sheds off and doesn’t sit there also. Building stuff outdoors is all about water, sun and wood movement coupled with freeze thaw considerations in our climate up here.

If you end up using epoxy instead of Titebond III, the West Systems G-Flex is the one to use. It has a little bit of give in it that allows for wood movement issues.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

Attachments:
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would cut them all off flush and add a new 2×6 top plate to the top of the fence .

I would take this approach as well. Most of the remaining wood is rotten, so you won’t really be able to repair it properly. Cut it off, and put a top plate over the new stubs.

Oh, and give the neighborhood kids a few pellet guns! That should take care of the wood peckers!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

Assuming that the tops are all not as bad as the first pic, I would use bondo on the post and add a PVC or composite pyramid cap in Black.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Yep cut and replace the top section, the wood around woodpecker holes look rotten already.

Thanks for all the responses,
    I picked up a couple of pieces of Cedar, figured if I use that it would have more incest resistance, , and a couple of different caps, now the boss will decide what she prefers, and I will try to start replacing some this weekend, but yeah that post with the woodpecker uses, as some of you mentioned, I will cut out for top part and replace it.

Thanks again, actually on a few of the posts, it is not as bad once I removed the caps.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I picked up a couple of pieces of Cedar, figured if I use that it would have more incest resistance,

Autocorrect? 😀

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Like Ron said, putting a pitch on the caps would make a big difference, Doobies suggestion of making the cap fit over the post is also a good idea. I like the idea of the composite cap, that would eliminate any future cap rotting issues.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.391 seconds