dcsimg

Felt or Rosin paper under wood floors

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I found this and thought we had discussed it previously but could not find it in the flooring section so I thought I would share it.

http://www.jlconline.com/flooring/q-a–felt-or-rosin-paper-under-strip-flooring-.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=jump&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JLCNL_022714&day=2014-02-27

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

If you choosing a paper for a vapor retarder then felt paper is far preferable to red rosin. I was always taught that if you are laying wood floors on a first floor then you use felt paper, if you are laying on a second floor then you could use red rosin if you wanted.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jpro
    Pro

By Rosin Paper, I assume you mean this stuff?http://www.plasticover.com/protector/red-rosin-paper.html

I think the concern is with the dye bleeding, but I’ve used the above and never had that happen. Might depend on the source I guess.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’m not a fan of the rosin paper, it helps installation, but nothing else imo. The felt would be my go to 100% especially if you’re Coastal. We’re pretty dry here, a lot of guys go right on the subfloor – no felt or paper.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I just did a nail on engineered in my home and I used felt for a moisture barrier. I don’t think Rosen paper is water proof. As a matter of fact I know it’s not.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have to agree with the others. Felt is the better for moisture control. Its what I try to use.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I also stick with the felt most of the time. I have also heard the second floor rosin, first floor felt rule. I think its better just to use felt 100% of the time nothing wrong with a little extra barrier.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

I would have to agree..I always go with felt. Any kind of moisture protection is good in my book

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

Ive worked for guys in the past who have used both. In my experience the paper was slightly easier to work with but I won’t ever use it on my own projects.

Felt gets the nod if I have to choose between the two, but I usually use a product like thishttp://www.amazon.com/Roberts-70-190-Super-Premium-Underlayment/dp/B0049VIQCK

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Ive worked for guys in the past who have used both. In my experience the paper was slightly easier to work with but I won’t ever use it on my own projects.

Felt gets the nod if I have to choose between the two, but I usually use a product like thishttp://www.amazon.com/Roberts-70-190-Super-Premium-Underlayment/dp/B0049VIQCK

That stuff looks nice, I imagine it would really help with noise. I haven’t seen anything that robust used around here.

That stuff looks nice, I imagine it would really help with noise. I haven’t seen anything that robust used around here.

Its not too much money for the added benefits it provides. I quote it right off the bat and not as an up charge, explain its value and usually don’t get much argument.

keko
    Pro

felt paper is not only a vapor barrier but it also stops floor squeeks

That is nice looking stuff @iFixHomes! I will have to remember that.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I haven’t dealt with much flooring, but I really like this stuff:

http://www.fortifiber.com/aquabar_b.html

It’s a ” asphalt laminated duplex type kraft paper “, and I like it a lot.
    Cheap too…I got 500’sq. for a little under $25 CDN.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I’ve only seen felt used around here.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

i have only used rosin paper i rely don’t under stand the need for the under lament.

If you choosing a paper for a vapor retarder then felt paper is far preferable to red rosin. I was always taught that if you are laying wood floors on a first floor then you use felt paper, if you are laying on a second floor then you could use red rosin if you wanted.

I agree with you .

Always willing to learn .

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

If you choosing a paper for a vapor retarder then felt paper is far preferable to red rosin. I was always taught that if you are laying wood floors on a first floor then you use felt paper, if you are laying on a second floor then you could use red rosin if you wanted

I agree with that,
    damp basement, poly for 1st floor..

Has anybody used the white roll of some sort of material that is almost slippery? Our flooring distributor said it’s better than felt because it won’t leave marks on the walls, it’s lighter, and it’s still a vapor barrier unlike the rosin paper.

I’m not really sure what it is though… lol.

Prior to using this new stuff, we always use felt under hardwood and engineered and sometimes if the client will pay for it/wants it we use the cushioned stuff like ifixhomes mentioned.

soup51
    Pro

Always use felt, keeps the floor quieter

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.352 seconds