dcsimg

feeling like a big guy today!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

So! Today was my first venture into the world of contractor-hood.

I did the estimate, material run, the work and everything my self. Placed bid, she accepted. Ok… so I had my labourer. But still, good day and a learning experience.

I built this deck and stairs over the winter with my regular company. The owner wanted an enclosure built under it, but company was too busy and asked if I wanted to look at it for weekend work.

Went very well! I am happy with the turn out. Labourer went balls to the wall with speed, but that’s probably due to me filling him with ice coffee (his favourite thing to drink) and telling him ‘‘it’s Saturday. You’re getting paid full day whether we work until 5 or 2.”

We skipped lunch and only stopped for 5 minutes for a coffee around 1030. We finished at 1:20

We also did a few things inside for her, since the house goes on the market later this week. Towel bars, mirrors and the like.

Carpenter-Hockey Fan-Cheap Beer Connoisseur

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Congrats. It might sound easy but that’s a BIG step! Good luck on many more!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

redwood
    Pro

Well, the big question, did you turn a reasonable profit, above and beyond your normal wage.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Well, the big question, did you turn a reasonable profit, above and beyond your normal wage.

Yes. Almost double my regular wage.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

That’s great Brutus! Sounds like you handled yourself very well and also treated your hired help very well! Great stuff to hear.

A Working Pro since 2004

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Congrats and good luck with your business

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Congratulations. Your ascent upward continues. It is nice your regular job passed this on to you as a weekend project. They are probably seeing how you reacted to it and will back check the work and customer satisfaction. Trying to see if you have management potential.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Congrats on the successful side job! It is nice to make some extra cash with the blessing of your current employer. Just remember that double you actual wage isn’t accurate since you didn’t have any true business expenses coming out of that money. Not bashing you, just food for thought as you move forward and continue to do more of this work on your own.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Good for you. Glad the day went well. Everything is a learning experience if you’re not afraid to open doors.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Congrats Brutus. Hopefully you can also pick up some referral work from the HO too.

Congrats. Sounds like a fantastic way to start.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Congrats! It’s nice to see guys who care about their trade do well. Kudos on the nice work and to what is hopefully the first of many projects you do on your own.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

just two years ago you were my labour on that composite decking warrenty job i did

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Looks good…

Way to go Brutus. Congrats on this big step. I am sure more opportunities will follow. Remember that it may not always go as smooth as this one.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great job B. Some cash flow is always nice.
    We call the go home when the works done and get paid a full day,,,HukiPau

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Nice work, you’ve cut your fair share of stairs I see.

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

@Calidecks64

I’ve cut thousands of stringers haha. Townhouse production framing will do that to ÿa

And I picked up payment this morning…..then went and bought a 16g gun. Woo!

Oh!, and she asked if I wanted to do some more work in the fall for her. I’ll have to find a new labourer, since my guy is leaving this week.

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Congrats on the successful side job! It is nice to make some extra cash with the blessing of your current employer. Just remember that double you actual wage isn’t accurate since you didn’t have any true business expenses coming out of that money. Not bashing you, just food for thought as you move forward and continue to do more of this work on your own.

Yea, other than gas and disposables, I didn’t really have expenses. When going to get coffee, I told the labourer not to cut anything off, haha.

Kirk, it’s weird. 9 months ago, I wouldn’t know what to do. This new job has been awesome for learning. Think, I used a table saw maybe 10 times up until this past year…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.454 seconds