dcsimg

Favorite Brand Router Bits?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Author

It is interesting the regional variances. In stores. HD here is mainly Freud diabolo and lows is Bosch.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I would have to order them online if I wanted to try one which I may do at some point. Same goes for a broader selection of Bosch jigsaw blades, they carry all the basics locally but not the more specialized ones.

Dan

danpattison.com

FLAUER
    Pro
    MENOMONEE FALLS, WI

I typically get Freud if I want them to last the longest. I have also found good ones from Woodworkers Supply, I think they are Woodtech?

I would suspect that they are trying to target various users and price points by varying quality. Also, brand loyalty is held by many of us, so do they sell more due to loyalty especially when most do not know Bosch owns Skil for example.

We have Menard’s stores all over our area. They are similar to Home Depot, just not as many stores. Menard’s has a large selection of Bosch router bits as their high-end line. I prefer Freud cutters, especially the Quadra cut models but have a number from CMT, Whiteside, and Porter Cable.

The Freud Quadra cut bids are great…very smooth cuts on end grain.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I’ve been curious about the quadra cut bits but haven’t tried one yet. So you guys find they are worth it?

Dan

danpattison.com

Yes, I believe they work as advertised. Good clean cuts with less tear-out.

woodman_412

I’m thinking about getting a new ogee bit so I might give one of the quadra bits a try then. I suppose they would be slightly more expensive to sharpen but should last longer between sharpenings in theory.

Dan

danpattison.com

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I picked up the Bosch 15/64″ two flute router bit for 1/4″ plywood this week. Much to my dismay it left the dado loose when I insterted the plywood. I am thinking of trying the Freud 7/32″ bit since its a hair smaller. Do you guys have any preference on your plywood bits?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have had the best luck with CMT plywood bits. They are a top notch bit.

Much to my dismay it left the dado loose when I insterted the plywood. I am thinking of trying the Freud 7/32″ bit since its a hair smaller.

Plywood is usually undersized from what it is called. Probably best to measure the plywood first with a caliper and then use the appropriate bit. It can vary in thickness in the same sheet so watch out for that also.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Good point Lon, unfortunately I don’t have a plethora of bits yet but I am working on it. I did end up getting the Freud bit and I hope between that and the Bosch I should be covered for most 1/4″ ply if not it looks like I get to keep expanding my collection.

At least those size bits are not the most expensive. 🙂 Remember, you can always cut thin and move your guide a fraction to trim a little more until you get the fit you want.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Lon I would definitely do that but I don’t have any really small straight bits I will for sure do this technique for large dados.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

i have PC, Freud, Bosch, Rockler and some generics. The name brands do well but the generics will work and are great for use on rough lumber.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Are Infinity bits good to go? I have seen some in their catalog a few times I want just have not pulled the trigger. I am working on increasing my capabilities with the router

I believe the Infinity bits and blades have received good reviews. When you look at them, I swear they are made by Whiteside. Here is a blurb from their website:

Infinity Tools is a worldwide distributor of high quality router bits and router bit sets with headquarters in Tampa, Florida. We offer a large assortment of premium quality router bits and router bit sets backed by a 100% quality guarantee, a knowledgeable customer service staff and same day shipping on in-stock router bits and router bit sets. We design and engineer premium quality router bits for the professional as well as the weekend woodworker. Infinity Tools is your direct source for over 2000 professional quality router bits and router bit sets that are in stock and ready to ship today. All of our router bits and router bit sets are guaranteed for life against defect and priced competitively.

staker
    Pro

I just got some whitesides in and still have to try them, hear a lot of good praises about them. Mostly have CMT I find them quite good. Soon to redeame for some bosch .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I just got some whitesides in and still have to try them, hear a lot of good praises about them. Mostly have CMT I find them quite good. Soon to redeame for some bosch .

I have a bunch of Bosch and CMT bits. They both cut really well, but it seems like the CMT break more often. I’ve had two straight bits crack off the top ear of the cutting edge. One of the bits still looked new, the other was nearing the point of sharpening, but it still shouldn’t have broken like it did.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Looking forward to trying out the plywood bits from bosch so I can use in that dado jig. I havent heard anything yet, I have never redeemed anything yet so I hope I placed the request properly.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.408 seconds