dcsimg

Favorite Brand Router Bits?

This topic contains 57 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Mine is Whiteside and Festool (because you can get them in 8mm shanks). I have some CMT and Freud bits too and a few other brands, but Whiteside has held up really well for me over the years.

What are your favorite brands?

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I have a mix of brands including Lee Valley, Freud, Dimar and some cheap ones. I haven’t had problems with any of them so I wouldn’t hesitate to choose any of those brands when getting a new bit.

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I also have a mix of brands, I have a lot of Bosch, some Freud, CMT and Rockler.

I have about a hundred extra bosch misc bits that I bought at an auction a few years ago for six bucks a bit. lots of rail and stile sets, panel cutters, coves and roundovers, I sell a few on craigslist once in a while. At this point what I have left is basically free.

kzcarp
    Pro

I have yellow ones, red ones, orange ones and white ones. All I am lacking are some green blue and violet ones and I will be able to make a rainbow of router bits. 🙂
    Oh wait, I do have some green ones. Almost there!

kevin

kzcarp
    Pro

I also have some black ones, cheap Skil bits bought to spare my better bits from torture of wet PT. They hold up well, for an inexpensive bit, until you drop them on concrete.

I don’t really have a favorite brand. There really isn’t an in-between. The bits are either good or they’re not. If they’re good you keep using it, if it’s crap it’s rebar.

kevin

redwood
    Pro

Bosch and Freud here. I will admit to having a backup case of Ryobi router bits, for emergencies.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Cool…folks using Bosch bits – sounds like they last well?

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I’ve never tried a Bosch router bit and I’ve never seen them for sale here either. How do you guys find they stack up with the other big brands?

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say they are a premium bit. Good quality carbide and hold an edge well. I am sure there are better bits out there, I thimk the Freud is a little better line of Bosch, I dont use them every day but they have held up well for me.

woodman_412

Didn’t someone say that Bosch owns Freud?

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Yes they do Dan

I had no idea that Bosch owned Freud…learn something new every day.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I think there is a whole list of companies that Bosch owns. I noticed the other day when I got a new Vermont American driver bit that it says Bosch on the back.

Dan

danpattison.com

Yeah…lots of consolidation in the market.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I wonder what the plan is marketing wise with a parent company that owns a few different brands like that. For example marketing Skil, Bosch and Dremel tools and they are all owned by Bosch. Is there one brand that they want to sell more than others.

Dan

danpattison.com

I would guess Bosch is what they push, but use the other brands for different segments — entry level, DIY, hobbiest and professional.

Orange County, CA

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I thing Vermont American came with the Skill Purchase.

I would guess they are the entrylevel bits, along with the Skil brand. the Freud would be their top bit I think and the Bosch in between. I have Both Bosch and Freud bits and dont really see a difference in quality. I dont have any issues with either one.

woodman_412

I’ve never seen any Bosch bits for sale here locally but I would be interested in trying one. Maybe we’ll see some added to the prize list at some point. I usually go with either Freud or Dimar since I can buy both of them locally. I like the Lee Valley bits that I have but I have to mail order them.

Dan

danpattison.com

That is one of the things I can buy readily at Lowes…

Orange County, CA

redwood
    Pro

Our HD carries Bosch router bits primarily.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.584 seconds