dcsimg

Fasteners for concrete board

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 3 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Well, I picked up 7 sheets (5′ x 32″ x 1/2″) of concrete board today to start the skirting on my home. I am wondering what is the recommended fastener to use (screws). I have on hand screws that are rated for ACQ pressure treated lumber (ceramic coated). Will these be OK? The bracing that I am screwing in to is pressure treated.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

There are screws made for concrete board. Bugle head like drywall screws but they are coated to resist corrosion and have sufficient strength to support the board. The heads are larger than deck screws or drywall screws, too.

Rona, HD, HH will all have them.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

There are screws made for concrete board. Bugle head like drywall screws but they are coated to resist corrosion and have sufficient strength to support the board. The heads are larger than deck screws or drywall screws, too.

Rona, HD, HH will all have them.

Got a link? Are they rated for ACQ lumber?

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

It sounds like he is talking about backerboard screws for installing Durock or hardie backer cement boards. I suppose they would do the job, but the heads are rather large, and unsightly for something left exposed. I would also be worried about blowouts near edges and corners, because of the big bugle head unless you plan on pre-drilling at seams. Typically exterior cement board is installed with a siding nailer and 2″-2.5″ ring shank nails. If you’re stuck on using screws I would reach first for some GRK cabinet head (if I was able to hide the fasteners with battens or trim), otherwise maybe a #8 head coated exterior screw. You’re still probably going to want to pre-drill at the seams using any screw

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

Yes, it is a backer board that I am using. My concern is for the corrosive nature of the ACQ pressure treated wood along with any concerns I don’t know about with the concrete board. I am not overly concerned about the looks, I don’t mind seeing the heads of a typical deck screw. I am planning on pre-drilling the concrete board. My thoughts are that if the ceramic coating on the ACQ rated screws is good enough for the wood preservative, is it OK for anything I am not thinking of in the concrete board? Is there a corrosive nature to the concrete board? Will putting the screw through the concrete board strip off the ceramic coating and make it more vulnerable to the ACQ?

Am I over thinking this? (I do that sometimes).

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

Oh I see… I was thinking of fiber cement siding panels. Yeah, if you don’t care about the appearance, those are definitely the screws to use for backerboard. I don’t know about their use with treated lumber though. Maybe a little construction adhesive in addition for peace of mind, or just use some GRK screws.
    I often see the coating come off of your typical green or tan coated deck screw just screwing wood to wood. I’ve tried to get away from them and use strictly GRK brand, much better screw and coating imo.

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

Quick look at the spec sheet and no, backerboard screws are not acq rated
    But oddly the “rock-on” ones are

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

the backer board screws have a fairly substantial coating on them I would not worry about then in ACQ. The reformulation of the treating chemicals has reduced the cohesiveness of the lumber, not eliminated it but reduced it.

the backer board screws have a fairly substantial coating on them I would not worry about then in ACQ. The reformulation of the treating chemicals has reduced the cohesiveness of the lumber, not eliminated it but reduced it.

I am hoping to go the other way as I have ACQ rated deck screws on hand and that would mean less cost outlay.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I wouldn’t hesitate to use standard cement board screws if you could find them in a decent length. If I recall, the longest I’ve used is 1 5/8″, which might be shorter than you would want for your particular use.

As Keegan mentioned, GRK screws are as good as you’ll find and they will certainly do the job too.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’d go with the Rock-On screws or SS GRKs.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I am hoping to go the other way as I have ACQ rated deck screws on hand and that would mean less cost outlay.

I think the deck screws would do the job very well. My only concern would be that the abrasive action of the backer board on the coating would compromise the coating and the screw. Run a few trial screws through the board and see what they look like. Bottom line; what’s the worst that could happen?

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

After a lot of searching and a lot of reading, it seems that the ceramic coated screws will work. Not the regular zinc plated deck screws, only the ceramic coated ones……..which I have. Thanks for all the information and guidance folks. It really helped in narrowing down my search. Sometimes it is hard to find something that is compatible with 2 different products.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING.

I hope it’s not the case for you Jim, but as I’ve been debating for myself whether to use sunken cement board panels for my own shed build for skirting and critter control, I’ve been asking a host of other pros and such in my travels over the last few months whether doing such is a good idea, (without pre-prodding my own thoughts/concerns of its viabilaty insofar as sub-grade degenegrating and breakage from frost heave,) and pretty all consulted have sited the same concerns.

While nobody I have asked have any real life trial doing a sub grade cement skirting such as you’ve done, all half dozen or so I’ve seeked comment on this technique have universally said that constant moisture exposure of cement board is likely gonna turn is too break down in due time. One guy I asked in my pursuit is construction engineer.

I’m not likely gonna skirt my shed and other structures on piers I’m still to build for maybe even a few years, but I would like to use your solution if it in fact works Jim. Please chime in how it fares over time as to how it is working out.

Thanks in advance!

@jimdaddyo

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

OLD THREAD WARNING.

I hope it’s not the case for you Jim, but as I’ve been debating for myself whether to use sunken cement board panels for my own shed build for skirting and critter control, I’ve been asking a host of other pros and such in my travels over the last few months whether doing such is a good idea, (without pre-prodding my own thoughts/concerns of its viabilaty insofar as sub-grade degenegrating and breakage from frost heave,) and pretty all consulted have sited the same concerns.

While nobody I have asked have any real life trial doing a sub grade cement skirting such as you’ve done, all half dozen or so I’ve seeked comment on this technique have universally said that constant moisture exposure of cement board is likely gonna turn is too break down in due time. One guy I asked in my pursuit is construction engineer.

I’m not likely gonna skirt my shed and other structures on piers I’m still to build for maybe even a few years, but I would like to use your solution if it in fact works Jim. Please chime in how it fares over time as to how it is working out.

Thanks in advance!

@jimdaddyo

My thoughts on moisture contact were the same, but the manufacturer claims it is OK for skirting. I upped the odds in my favour a bit by adding all the 3/4″ crush gravel so the water drains away from the board instead of being held against it. I did want pea stone, but my supplier could not get it then, but I imagine anything without sand in it to bond it will work in help keeping it as dry as possible.

So is the concrete board bare to the elements or it has some sort of covering .

Always willing to learn .

So is the concrete board bare to the elements or it has some sort of covering .

I didn’t put any coating on it at all. I did a section on the back of the home 3 or 4 years ago and it has not shown any sign of going bad at all.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.671 seconds