dcsimg

Fast way to clean up metal shavings?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Author

<P>I will try to find some information, but here in the shop, we banned using shop vacs, because we would use if for aluminum and steel , plus sometimes fiber glass, no no we had one blow up right when the employee turned the vacuum on, he got huge pretty back, it has to do with the static from certain metals and the plastics, be careful guys. I will try to find the exact information and post it up later. </P>

<P>Wow, that’s some interesting information. For me the shavings I produce is minimal so should not be a problem for me using a vacuum. I usually just sweep them up for steel or aluminum but sometimes use my shop vac if there are a lot. Can’t believe how quickly steel rusts so I try to get them all if I can. </P>
    <P>I also clean out my vac after each use so I’m hoping it exploding won’t be a problem.</P>

yeah it was pretty scary , i saw the video from our security cameras, the poor guy got knocked down on his butt, as he turned the vaccum back on the top just blew right off upwards, hit him on the right side of his face /head, thank god he did not loose his sight, thank god for safety glasses.. I will try to find the csst paper work stating that on the shop vacs.

Doobie

<P>I will try to find some information, but here in the shop, we banned using shop vacs, because we would use if for aluminum and steel , plus sometimes fiber glass, no no we had one blow up right when the employee turned the vacuum on, he got huge pretty back, it has to do with the static from certain metals and the plastics, be careful guys. I will try to find the exact information and post it up later. </P>

<P>Wow, that’s some interesting information. For me the shavings I produce is minimal so should not be a problem for me using a vacuum. I usually just sweep them up for steel or aluminum but sometimes use my shop vac if there are a lot. Can’t believe how quickly steel rusts so I try to get them all if I can. </P>
    <P>I also clean out my vac after each use so I’m hoping it exploding won’t be a problem.</P>

yeah it was pretty scary , i saw the video from our security cameras, the poor guy got knocked down on his butt, as he turned the vaccum back on the top just blew right off upwards, hit him on the right side of his face /head, thank god he did not loose his sight, thank god for safety glasses.. I will try to find the csst paper work stating that on the shop vacs.

What can be even worse is a spark being caused by a metal hitting the impeller starting a slow smoldering fire in your debris container that goes undetected for hours and eventually turns into a full blown fire after you’ve left for the day.

That’s why I’ve also got a fire alarm in my shop interconnected to the whole house and alarm company as my shop is in my garage. Of course, I try to make sure I never collect anything metal with my DC system, but mistakes can happen and you don’t even know it til its too late.

What can be even worse is a spark being caused by a metal hitting the impeller starting a slow smoldering fire in your debris container that goes undetected for hours and eventually turns into a full blown fire after you’ve left for the day.

That’s why I’ve also got a fire alarm in my shop interconnected to the whole house and alarm company as my shop is in my garage. Of course, I try to make sure I never collect anything metal with my DC system, but mistakes can happen and you don’t even know it til its too late.

That’s a good idea with the alarms. I just have two smoke detectors and a big fire extinguisher. Like you my garage is attached to the house.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Exploding shop vac, damn, now I have to watch what I use mine on.

For shavings I usually use a cordless hand vac.

Just asked our shop rep. He told me that we have the explosion proof vacuums, one for aluminum, and another for metal, before being able to get access, you have to sign for the vacuum and, then it is your responsibility.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Explosion proof vacs, plastic impeller?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like others have said the vacuum works the best . I have the hose next to the drilling to get the shaving from the start .

That’s what I’ve done at my drill press having a dedicated vac integrated on it’s baseplate and using a semi-articulating hose I bought at LV. Works like a charm picking up wood/metal shavings as they are generated at source.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=58751&cat=1,42401,62597,62604&ap=1

Nice set-up, Especially for wood. I wouldn’t do it with metal though, I’d worry about hot chips melting the hose, filter or plastic vac itself. I always wait a little while before sucking up metal chips, But I’ve always sucked em up with a shop vac and never considered it could explode

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

vacuum for me too

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I find metal drill cuttings are the biggest pita to clean up, those little twisties get stuck in the broom, brush, whatever you’re trying to pick them up with, not to mention the few that get stuck in your clothes and work their way through, or imbedded in a rag and you don’t notice till it leaves a huge scratch on something!

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Try paper towel for those you can’t suck with vacuum, seems to get enough of them and no problem with embedded swarf.

Doobie

I

I am cautious when I do metal. I doubt that LV articulated hose would be an issue as it’s a very hard plastic, but you’re right about the vac vessel being a potential concern in certain situations especially since there are in my case a pile of wood chips in there already. Sometimes with metal I will just extract afterwards it is a leftover left to sit for a while around a drilling just to mitigate such a problem.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Wow that is kinda scary, so I guess empty the bins as soon as you are done and only do one material at a time.

Tyler88
    Pro

I have asked this same question to a metals – professional who provides me with precision sheet metal parts. They advised on using either the magnet or the vacuum. I find vacuuming better. One other option is that you could use a plain rubber sheet or any other sheet for that instance, that will help you collect the clutter and then sort them out.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have asked this same question to a Bayview metals – professional service who provided me with precision sheet metal parts. They advised on using either the magnet or the vacuum. I find vacuuming better. One other option is that you could use a plain rubber sheet or any other sheet for that instance, that will help you collect the clutter and then sort them out.

That’s nice but dropping a link on your first post is a bit much… don’t you think??
    Welcome to the post.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I have asked this same question to a Bayview metals – professional service who provided me with precision sheet metal parts. They advised on using either the magnet or the vacuum. I find vacuuming better. One other option is that you could use a plain rubber sheet or any other sheet for that instance, that will help you collect the clutter and then sort them out.

That’s nice but dropping a link on your first post is a bit much… don’t you think??
    Welcome to the post.

A little suspicious isn’t it. I’m thinking spam. But will have to see what else is posted in the coming days.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Welcome to the post.

A little suspicious isn’t it. I’m thinking spam. But will have to see what else is posted in the coming days.

Smelled like Spam to me….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Welcome to the post.

Smelled like Spam to me….

since he hasn’t said anything more, i assume so. Usually when you are on the forum you post and reply to a few then go off to do what you need to do till you have time again.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

If it is, he sure put in a lot more effort than the usual spammers.

Dude I totally have this problem every day!

I do eavestrough primarily, but soffit fascia too, and it’s always a pain when you have to clean up all those shavings! It sucks!
    But honestly dude I think a broom or vacuum is the best way. There’s no other real way around it, since it’s not magnetic.
    besides that, all I can say is try to do it outside, all at once, and in the same place.

Hope this helps!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I do eavestrough primarily,

Dude,,, do you ever do rain gutters??
    So I look up this eavestrough and find it’s a northern US and canada thing.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.538 seconds