dcsimg

Fast way to clean up metal shavings?

This topic contains 40 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author

I know you could do a magnet + bag for most metals, but do you guys do anything else to pick up metal shavings?

What about aluminum? Any way to cheat and do something quick and easy instead of broom?

I still feel like I missed a ton of little pieces after trying to sweep a couple of times.

John S

Anonymous

Vacuum them up is how I do it

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I try to have my dust collector running while my machine is running so it catches the bulk of it.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Broom and vacuum for me too, usually just sweep and dustpan, i haven’t found any shortcuts!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How about walking around in your socks,,, that should get them all??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Broom and Vacuum are next to a magnet.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

For roofing we used a magnet on wheels that you rolled around. All the old roofing nails would stick to it. Grass, pavement etc.

Sorry, you said without a magnet. 😕

A Working Pro since 2004

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I usually don’t have enough for sweeping to be a problem. I never use my vac though… It’s dedicated to saw dust and chips.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

There is no good way other that a magnet to get them all. aluminum is another story. Sweeping a lot or cutting over paper or cardboard is the best way to minimize cleanup. Vac also will work fairly well clean up the big stuff first.

I usually don’t have enough for sweeping to be a problem. I never use my vac though… It’s dedicated to saw dust and chips.

John, any reason only sawdust and chips, do you reuse them for something. When we are planning clean lumber one of the guys that works for me will take the shavings for his chickens.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Lmao, sounds silly but I have used an old swifer, funny but all the alu shaving sticks to the fiber pretty good. Almost like walking around in your socks lol.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I never thought about it before but I do the same thing. Metal shavings go through the shop vac; the DC is for wood only.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Walking barefoot will get all the sharp ones.
    Magnet in a bag for iron, everything else I sweep. I don’t want to run metal into the DC or vac.

I never thought about it before but I do the same thing. Metal shavings go through the shop vac; the DC is for wood only.

My dust collector came with a bold warning to not run metal through as it could cause a spark striking the impeller and thus set off a dust explosion. I use a small portable vac if I am not just sweeping it up with a broom.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Walking barefoot will get all the sharp ones.
    Magnet in a bag for iron, everything else I sweep. I don’t want to run metal into the DC or vac.

I will try to find some information, but here in the shop, we banned using shop vacs, because we would use if for aluminum and steel , plus sometimes fiber glass, no no we had one blow up right when the employee turned the vacuum on, he got huge pretty back, it has to do with the static from certain metals and the plastics, be careful guys. I will try to find the exact information and post it up later.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

My dust collector came with a bold warning to not run metal through as it could cause a spark striking the impeller and thus set off a dust explosion. I use a small portable vac if I am not just sweeping it up with a broom.

Where there is an impeller involved I’ve heard of never doing that. But a regular shop vac, I’m not so sure if there is any issue.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I just use a cordless vac and a brush. Whatever the vac misses in the first pass I use the brush to sweep it toward the nozzle and it gets sucked up. Never had an issue and it always gets all the chips.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Like others have said the vacuum works the best . I have the hose next to the drilling to get the shaving from the start .

Always willing to learn .

I will try to find some information, but here in the shop, we banned using shop vacs, because we would use if for aluminum and steel , plus sometimes fiber glass, no no we had one blow up right when the employee turned the vacuum on, he got huge pretty back, it has to do with the static from certain metals and the plastics, be careful guys. I will try to find the exact information and post it up later.

Wow, that’s some interesting information. For me the shavings I produce is minimal so should not be a problem for me using a vacuum. I usually just sweep them up for steel or aluminum but sometimes use my shop vac if there are a lot. Can’t believe how quickly steel rusts so I try to get them all if I can.

I also clean out my vac after each use so I’m hoping it exploding won’t be a problem.

Where there is an impeller involved I’ve heard of never doing that. But a regular shop vac, I’m not so sure if there is any issue.

That was my concern, but it sounds like I can use my Ridgid shop vac on it. I was hesitant to use it.

Sweeping a lot or cutting over paper or cardboard is the best way to minimize cleanup.

Doh, should have put something down first. Good idea!

John S

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Like others have said the vacuum works the best . I have the hose next to the drilling to get the shaving from the start .

That’s what I’ve done at my drill press having a dedicated vac integrated on it’s baseplate and using a semi-articulating hose I bought at LV. Works like a charm picking up wood/metal shavings as they are generated at source.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=58751&cat=1,42401,62597,62604&ap=1

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.851 seconds