dcsimg

Fancy Deluxe 'Over The Top' Combo Table

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve mentioned this combo table a few times in the past and after giving my shop a cleaning and reorganizing this past week I was able to dig this out of a corner, It’s been under a pile of junk for years. Isn’t she a beautiful piece? LOL

It’s got to be 35-40ish years old, I got it from my dads stuff about 15 years ago so I will admit it has some heavy sentimental value but it’s gotta go, Sorry dad. He was into building RC airplanes and I can see where it might be ok for that, I’ve used it a few times and even cut some full sheets of ply on it LOL.

It has three plates for it to mount either a circ saw, Router or jigsaw. Kind of a neat idea but very funky quality, Did ya see the fence? LOL. I think I’ll keep the jiggy and router mounting plates for now though, They might workout for on my table saw insert like Brad did. Yep, It’s ‘Over The Top’ baby 🙂

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That’s a great design actually. Quality doesn’t look great but when it was new I bet that was revolutionary!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

I always enjoy seeing older tools. Thanks for sharing @Dabbs!

Bert

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I found this about the company LOL, It says a blade guard came with the table starting in 1983. Well I didn’t have a blade guard so my guess of it’s age is pretty close LOL
    —————————————————————
    Central Quality Industries Provided Blade Guards For Saw Tables
    Note: Firm is out of business. Please destroy or discard this product.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Originally issued February 24, 1984, Revised August 18, 2003
    Release # 84-012

Washington, D.C.– Central Quality Industries, Polo, Illinois, in cooperation with the U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, announced a program to provide free blade guards to owners of Central Quality Industries and Pow-R-Tool saw tables. These tables did not previously have a blade guard to help prevent finger and hand injuries. Saw tables sold after June 20, 1983, contained a blade guard. The firm has received 6 injury complaints, including 4 reports of finger amputation and 2 reports of finger lacerations associated with the use and operation of the saw tables without the blade guards.

The saw tables are designed to hold a portable circular saw, sabre saw, and routers so that it can be used as a table saw. Approximately 166,304 saw tables have been distributed by the firm since the late 1950’s under the brand name of “Central Quality Industries” and “Pow-R-Tool Table”, which appears on the table top.

The product has been sold nationwide and is available with a metal or plastic top, with or without legs, and retailed between $49.95 and $89.95.

The firm is out of business and the remedy is no longer available. Please discard or destroy this product.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The firm is out of business and the remedy is no longer available. Please discard or destroy this product.

hahaha That’s classic right there!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

You should be able to repurpose that, it’s a basic work table as is. Fab up a new top and go from there.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hahaha That’s classic right there!

Classic right there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should be able to repurpose that, it’s a basic work table as is. Fab up a new top and go from there.

Yeah I thought about it but I just don’t think it’s worth the room it takes up in my shop, I’m thinking I will reuse it though up at camp for a mini fridge stand. I’ll cut off the legs to whatever height then bring the shelf up for the liquor 🙂

redwood
    Pro

The fact that they sold 166K+ of these is pretty impressive. I wonder how many are still in existance. It might be a collectors item.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

lol I am loving the name @dabbs – pretty neat idea – definitely tried to get a lot of functionality out of the design which is really impressive!

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man over the Top is right. that thing was very innovative for it’s day.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I bet that was one nice table at the time. I think I remember using one of these tables back in the 80’s, I believe that my dad had one.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

looks like something my grandfather put together. One day i went into his basement to gather up some tools he didn’t want anymore and found a makeshift table with a circular saw mounted under it: they didn’t belong together but he somehow made it work by cutting a box hole in the center and attaching mounting hardware underneath.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Doesn’t festool make something similar now?? For like $2K??

--Steve

Doesn’t festool make something similar now?? For like $2K??

if by similar you mean modular, then yes…. but there is also a big difference between the type of material used and the way festool has engineered the whole system… but on one level, that is true… pretty interesting

John S

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.271 seconds