dcsimg

Fall Protection

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kzcarp
    Pro

I have begun using a harness and tie-off for any work above a certain height. I bought one of the all in one kits: harness, anchor, line and lanyard. For a cheap Harness it’s not at all uncomfortable, but obviously could be better. I’ve already added additional anchors, and have plans for other changes.
    What does everybody else use ?

kevin

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

We rarely used them but when we did commercial jobs we just rented them from a rental store .

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Does anyone wear fall protection when working on their own roof? I am interested to see if people will wear it on the job but not at home.

kzcarp
    Pro

Jason, if I had been in the habit of using them when I roofed my house I would have used one, the main roof was a 12/12 pitch. The only aspect of being tied off that is taking getting used to is the power and air lines getting underfoot and tangled in with the life line. This might help out some though:

http://www.superanchor.com/maxXLine.php

kevin

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I am scared of heights so if fall protection is called for, it is too high for me to be up there. My biggest problem with falling is missing the last rung on the 8 ft ladder on the way down. Usually land on my backside and roll a time or two.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It amazes me how hard it is to get framers and roofers to mm use fall mm protection. You never see in on jobs.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

That is a good point, I see countless jobs where guys will be on really steep pitches and no fall protection. I am really risk adverse so if my house was bigger than a ranch and didn’t have such a soft pitch I would wear it.

kzcarp
    Pro

It’s a pain in the @&* to wear, that’s why. It requires some accommodation to your gear and to some extent how you work. Also some harnesses are very hard to clip on and off line without a buddy there to help. But I feel safer and can concentrate on the task at hand, and my wife isn’t worrying about me all day long.

kevin

redwood
    Pro

I’ve never used one and rarely do I ever see them being used.

I’m like Jerry, not a big fan of heights anymore. I was fine when I was younger, but being legally blind in one eye now, it’s thrown everything a little off. No depth perception, I miss that last wrung on the ladder about 50% of the time, it’s a little embarrasing

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I am starting a roof on Tuesday and will make my guys wear fall protection. I would rather have the roof take us a few hours longer, then have to worry about someone getting hurt. I have done roofs by myself without any fall protection, which is a stupid idea, but at least I am the only one to blame if there is a issue.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Fall protection is a necessity any more, xbut it is amazing how little it is used.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

True its a pain in the neck but necessary.

mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

I don’t use fall protection, and hopefully, never have to. Being a framer myself, I can’t even comprehend how anyone could put decking on a roof with that harness tied off. That would cause a lot of colorful language.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I have seen guys fall of the roof with a sheet of decking, that generating lots of colorful language also.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a uku pile of fall protection and use it when it’s mandatory. Most of the roofs here are low pitch.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t use fall protection, and hopefully, never have to. Being a framer myself, I can’t even comprehend how anyone could put decking on a roof with that harness tied off. That would cause a lot of colorful language.

Here where I’m at it’s illegal to not use fall protection on the roof.

kzcarp
    Pro

I bet getting cited for not being tied-off would generate even more colorful language.

kevin

kzcarp
    Pro

Two home owners near me, putting on a roof, fell and one of them is dead.

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/2-fall-from-rooftop-in-Schuyler-1-dead-223760721.html

kevin

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Damnit, that is terrible news. I think people feel way to comfortable when they are working on their own properties.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A home owner doesn’t need to be tied off. You only need tied off if you are working on a job.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.306 seconds