dcsimg

Factory Reconditioned Tools….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Haven’t heard anything good about them. Most folks just say they’re overpriced used equipment.

Anyone have a good experience with them??

Goin' Down In Flames........

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I only had one experience; with a Dewalt 734 planer many years ago. I had no problems at all during the life of that tool. To be honest, I think it was a return in an opened package and not one that had been repaired.
    There would be no way of knowing whether you are getting a repair or a new/returned tool.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

To my understanding, they have the same warranty as the new ones.
    Is it true?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Is it true?

You’re right. I think it varies with different manufacturers but the majors will offer full warranties.

Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

All of the ones I’ve ever seen had a pretty truncated warranty, usually 90 days when the new had a 3 year type of thing.

If they had a full factory warranty, I wouldn’t hesitate.

Doobie

Is it true?

It’s a hodge podge in my experience, but never goes beyond a year.

Festool is one year. Makita 6 months, but I was verbally told by their service center manager recently that they typically will honor up to the one year mark. I don’t know specifics of other brands, but usually it’s a lot shorter. Makita will not honor US warranties up here. That was a surprise to me.

I’ve bought 4-5 Festool refurbed items around 10 years ago. Never a problem. Used them lots and most seemed pristine or in very good condition when bought.

Bostitch franing coil nailer. Got from HD 15 years ago, haven’t used it tons, but other than replacing the O rings last year, it has worked fine and has never jammed that I recall.

Bought a couple of Milwaukee refurbed drills that had issues and have since been trashed. But I’ve had bad luck with Milwaukee on just about everything I’ve ever bought of theirs and no longer buy that brand.

Haven’t heard anything good about them. Most folks just say they’re overpriced used equipment.
    Anyone have a good experience with them??

I have purchased some refurbished tools on occassion especially when I would not be using that tool on a regular basis. It saves some dollars. I have had no problem with the tools. I wouldn’t hesitate purchasing a refurbished tool from a top shelf brand.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Looks like I might be buying a new rotary laser.

I see some Bosch going for 300 or so as Recon, and 600 or so as new, but the Recon only has a 90 day warranty.

And I was told that the lasers can cost as much as 1/2 as much as new to repair. :blink:

I wonder how Bosch’s Recon program is? Hmm…..

What I really want is a brand new TopCon or Leica that’ll do grade. :thumbsup: Couple grand later.

CB
    Pro

20 years ago, Harbor Freight used to sell refurbished DeWalt tools. This was before Harbor Freight had their own hand power tool brands like Bauer, and a host of other new HF brand names whose names I can’t remember.

Back when the father was running the chain, there was only CenTech, Central Machinery, and Central Pnuematic. I’m not even sure if “Chicago Electric” had been coined yet. But since the son(s) took over HF, all kinds of brand names have sprung forth.

Yet back in the day, Harbor Freight actually sold refurbished versions of “American” brand names like DeWalt, and one other American brand (can’t remember that one either).

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have a few of my hand tools from HF in the dirty bucket. Those are hand tools I don’t mind getting super dirty, soiled or rusted, they all sit in a dirty bucket for whenever.

I don’t plan on reconditioning them LOL.

Delta I have bought recon tools and my experience has been OK, but a rotary laser with only a 90 day warranty I have to think twice. I don’t think so. I mean if it’s off for some reason then I’ll be in deep trouble, and so I would have to check, double check the work over and over again, which defeats having the convenience of a laser.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I see some Bosch going for 300 or so as Recon, and 600 or so as new, but the Recon only has a 90 day warranty.

And I was told that the lasers can cost as much as 1/2 as much as new to repair. :blink:

What I really want is a brand new TopCon or Leica that’ll do grade. :thumbsup: Couple grand later.

CPO has 120 day money back guarantee on Bosch refurbs. I have purchased refurb from them a few times. Cannot see any difference in the reburb from new and never had any issues with them.

Doobie

One thing one should keep in mind is that some refurbed tools from some companies are likely gonna be better overall than other brands simply because brands like Festool, Bosch, Makita, offer a 30 day satisfaction full money back return policy. A lot of their offerings would often be lightly used tools they would offer versus other brands that would be essentially selling as refurbs tools that came in for warranty issues, but were replaced instead and the busted tool gets fixed and put up for sale as a refurb.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

I think my biggest issue is the short warranty.

I’m looking at brand new TopCon lasers, and I’ll get a 5 year warranty.

For me, definitely worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Doobie

I think my biggest issue is the short warranty.

I’m looking at brand new TopCon lasers, and I’ll get a 5 year warranty.

For me, definitely worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

With something like an expensive laser, I’d be leaning that way also. Finicky internal mechanisms that require perfect calibration versus what would be a more robustly built power tool is a factor imo.

CB
    Pro

I’ve never invoked a warranty on a hand held tool power tool.

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I have had a few and the results are pretty good. All about the price though

CPO has 120 day money back guarantee on Bosch refurbs. I have purchased refurb from them a few times. Cannot see any difference in the reburb from new and never had any issues with them.

I have been buying refurbished tools for years , I have never had any issues with any of the tools I bought , actually it’s only been Bosch refurb , I bought a DLR130 laser measure , it’s been great
    I bought two older Bosch impacts the high torque and the old 2262? I forget what number it was , they have been great , sold those two a few years ago , just because I upgraded to the lithium , oh also the older 18 volt Bosch plane I still have it and works great.
    Oh even my Bosch corded variable speed 5 inch sander. Still working great

I bought lots of them from Tony tools
    Once they told me refurbished doesn’t only mean returned tools that have been overhauled. Some time it’s because the cardboard box has been damaged or the original box had been opened
    I definitely would buy again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have been buying refurbished tools for years , I have never had any issues with any of the tools I bought , actually it’s only been Bosch refurb , I bought a DLR130 laser measure , it’s been great
    I bought two older Bosch impacts the high torque and the old 2262? I forget what number it was , they have been great , sold those two a few years ago , just because I upgraded to the lithium , oh also the older 18 volt Bosch plane I still have it and works great.
    Oh even my Bosch corded variable speed 5 inch sander. Still working great

I bought lots of them from Tony tools
    Once they told me refurbished doesn’t only mean returned tools that have been overhauled. Some time it’s because the cardboard box has been damaged or the original box had been opened
    I definitely would buy again.

I recently just bought a bench grinder on Amazon that was being sold as used. The grinder was never used as it was never assembled. The box had been opened then the item was return. I have bought stuff that was being sold as used due the box being damaged.

Greg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.480 seconds