dcsimg

EZSmart, Toronto Tool, vs. track saws – thoughts

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kamster
    Pro

Well look what just showed up at Lee Valley….EZ Smart stuff! Very odd considering they carry Festool in Canada.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?cat=1,240&p=73329

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73318&cat=51&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73323&cat=51&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73301&cat=51&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73304&cat=51&ap=1

Talk about timing… that certainly must be a new addition. I don’t remember seeing those on the Lee Valley web site nor getting an email notice about the product line.

Funny thing was that I emailed the EZ Smart manufacturer yesterday and I asked if they had a Canadian reseller and the owner replied that they didn’t. Everything was shipped to Canada via USPS

You can get aftermarket accessories so that you can use your router with various makes of track — including Micro-fence.

I am not sure about the EZ stuff – I think that some of it is pretty cool from an innovation standpoint, but some of it seems dangerous. The table is pretty pricey. But, there are lots of fans out there.

You can make cutting tables or buy them – I actually really like my Festool MFT/3’s – I bought them used so saved some money but they are amongst my most used tools. The OA table is a great design too for a cut table.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

Talk about timing… that certainly must be a new addition.

I had checked their “New Arrivals” yesterday/Sunday, and it waasn’t there. Suddenly today it shows up. No email notication either, but that i’ve often seen they come after the product is up on their site.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

This is very interesting, I’ve been looking around to see what systems I can do dado’s

Where do you need dados? If you get that Domino, you may noy be making as many dados as you think. Since i got mine, I rarely ever do them or rabbets any longer.

You might be right about that, i really gotta change my thinking around building once I get the domino in my hands. really is a game changer.

Doobie

This is very interesting, I’ve been looking around to see what systems I can do dado’s

Where do you need dados? If you get that Domino, you may noy be making as many dados as you think. Since i got mine, I rarely ever do them or rabbets any longer.

You might be right about that, i really gotta change my thinking around building once I get the domino in my hands. really is a game changer.

Another one that has seen little use since I got a Domino is my Leigh Dovetailer. Don’t mind the look on a drawer edge of thru Dominos and ot’s a lot faster than dovetailing them.

amulder
    Pro
    London, ON

Another one that has seen little use since I got a Domino is my Leigh Dovetailer. Don’t mind the look on a drawer edge of thru Dominos and ot’s a lot faster than dovetailing them.

Strangely enough I never really got into dovetailing… Now I have a finger-joint jig, which knocks them out really fast. But I’m going way off topic.

Yes, you’re right, when you get a game-changer in your hands like the domino (don’t got one of those yet, but I wish!) you really do need to rethink your methods.

www.wordsnwood.com

Strangely enough I never really got into dovetailing… Now I have a finger-joint jig, which knocks them out really fast. But I’m going way off topic.

Yes, you’re right, when you get a game-changer in your hands like the domino (don’t got one of those yet, but I wish!) you really do need to rethink your methods.

Yes – the Domino is a game changer as is a track saw, IMHO. I like how innovation has transformed certain tasks.

Orange County, CA

Kamster
    Pro

After thinking about what people have said about the various options, I can eliminate the Toronto Tool Pro-Cut 50. Its portable but doesn’t have a zero clearance insert option for the saw. I can’t figure out if it can be used like a jointer to straighten curved boards.

The EZSmart system looks like it will be as expensive or more expensive than a track saw system when configured the way that I think I want it. It won’t have the dust collection system that a track saw has and the clamping track saw system requires the EZ-One system + table.

Around here, the Makita track saw and the 55 inch track is only $100 less than the Dewalt saw + 55 inch track + 102 inch track. This makes the Dewalt a better value – it may be a better saw?. The Festool is easily going to be $500 more than the Makita set up if I get the TS55 and 55 inch track.

Doobie

Festool is a more expensive option if all you want to get is a track saw and start getting tracks. But if you want to go further with their ‘system’, it turns out to be a better value in a sense.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.313 seconds