dcsimg

extension rings

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  wbembrid 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Why on earth do they even make these in metal? My electrician put a few in that were plastic which makes sense. I found 3 that he missed so I figured I would do it. The box stores only had metal. I wrapped the outlets in tape but still……its a zap waiting to happen.

Or did I use the wrong thing for this application?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

What do you mean by an extension ring? A mud ring?

Attachments:

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

No these from Lowes

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Lowe’s carries the plastic extension rings. I believe they come in a two pack and can be used side by side for two gang boxes.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

Anonymous

Ha, I had one of those plastic ones in my hand today at HD

Doobie

I’m not certain. but they may be illegal here in Canada. I know that those blue plastic retrofit boxes were removed 10 or so years ago. Not sure why. I wouldn’t doubt those same plastic blue plastic extensions may have been removed as well as i can’t recall seeing any of that blue stuff at HD in a long time.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’m not certain. but they may be illegal here in Canada. I know that those blue plastic retrofit boxes were removed 10 or so years ago. Not sure why. I wouldn’t doubt those same plastic blue plastic extensions may have been removed as well as i can’t recall seeing any of that blue stuff at HD in a long time.

You can still buy the plastic ones at HD. I contemplated using them in my last reno but opted for what I was use to using.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

No these from Lowes

Got it…never seen that type in plastic before actually. Apparently they make them though. I’ve always thought that metal boxes didn’t make any sense as well.

Jon P.
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Lowe’s carries the plastic extension rings. I believe they come in a two pack and can be used side by side for two gang boxes.

Those would be much safer but I didnt see them and I looked like crazy for anything other than metal.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

So does Ace Hardware.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Do you just cut the plastic to fit then? Depending on the wall, I’ve needed extensions from 1/2 inch to a whole inch.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Do you just cut the plastic to fit then? Depending on the wall, I’ve needed extensions from 1/2 inch to a whole inch.

They make different thickness of those extensions . Just pick the right one for your needs . I can get them at local box store and supply house .

Always willing to learn .

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

The plastic ones insert into the box to allow depth adjustment. Oddly enough I had to disconnect one on another project today.

The blue plastic may only work with blue boxes. IDK
    My electrician had white plastic and we had metal boxes.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

So does Ace Hardware.

I think those are a good idea, I usually just use the extended metal box’s but I can see these coming in handy in some instances.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

So does Ace Hardware.

I think those are a good idea, I usually just use the extended metal box’s but I can see these coming in handy in some instances.

They do come in very handy at times.

They slide inside of the blue boxes. No cutting required.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

For tile applications, these are better.

Attachments:

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So does Ace Hardware.

They do come in very handy at times.

They slide inside of the blue boxes. No cutting required.

Thank you, I haven’t seen these before, or maybe I have and never paid attention to them.

……or these. Great idea!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never knew these existed. Thank you for the info

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Hopefully there is flex in the electric line when installed . Other then that it’s prefect for tile and wainscoting thickness Knowing before hand .

Always willing to learn .

I think the metal ones might be more common because they get used more in commercial work?? I had to use them in my basement after I added the hat channel and double 5/8″ drywall.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.574 seconds