dcsimg

Expansion foam application

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

One of the things I hate to do, and it’s because I don’t do it well, is dispensing expansion foam. You know, the GREAT STUFF.

I usually use the Windows and Doors version, because they do not expand to the point it will bend and bow stuff.

While I am fairly handy and crafty, I just don’t do a good job. I am good with straight lines, things that I can measure, mark, strike, measure again, and execute. But this expansion foam stuff requires something else, and it’s not uncommon for me to end up with it dripping and spilling, with the nozzle completely sticky and messy, and so when I insert it into a gap that I want to fill, it smears everywhere so it needs cleaning up. Or when I need to apply it all the way around a conduit, and I spray it and drag the “straw” all the way around, some spots I get too much, some spots I get not enough, some spots I hear air being blown which requires a shake and reinsert, then when I pull it out a whole string comes out dropping on my shoes, then I stepped on it accidentally…you know what I mean LOL.

It’s not once or twice I used this stuff, I have used it quite a bit over the years but just never get a good feel for it. I don’t know why. May be I need to just buy a few cans and just waste them on practice.

Do you have any tricks to share how I might improve doing it?

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Always try to work top to bottom, gravity s your friend and enemy. Keep the can as inverted as possible. Shake it every 30 seconds or so to keep it flowing nice.

Best of all, spend the $50 for the gun applicator. Keep the gun clean by running the cleaner through it occasionally.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Great stuff makes wipes also. they have a solvent in them that will clean up the foam easily if you get it before it sets up. They come in a container about like diaper wipes and work really well.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Great stuff makes wipes also. they have a solvent in them that will clean up the foam easily if you get it before it sets up. They come in a container about like diaper wipes and work really well.

That’s good to know Kurt. I have not seen the wipes.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That’s good to know Kurt. I have not seen the wipes.

I saw them at a trade show a while back. You may have to ask your supplier to order them. Not a lot of people know about them and they may not have went over well and have been discontinued. Otherwise keep a can of gun cleaner handy and a rag. you can spray the gun cleaner on the rag and it basically does the same thing.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

You can use acetone to remove unhardened stuff. Basically any organic solvent works.

I don’t use it all the time, small exterior gaps I typically use polyurethane sealant. The foam stuff requires waiting for it to “finish” off but sometimes larger gaps I need it.

I do caulk well.

I do paint well.

I do stucco, real plaster, rock well.

I do grout well.

Why can’t I do foam well LOL?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I usually use the Windows and Doors version, because they do not expand to the point it will bend and bow stuff.

Do you have any tricks to share how I might improve doing it?

Sometimes it expands and bow the door and/or the window.
    Thinner frame on the door, taller windows, lots of humidity, etc, everything plays a role in foam expansion.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I work my way from the bottom to the top.
    I used countless of foaming guns. From $70 CAD to $15 CAD. Spent a lot of money on them. The expensive ones I used to clean them once a week maybe. The other ones were disposable.
    Then I spent an eye and wallet watering 😀 – close to $200 CAD – for a Hilti gun. I can say without doubt that’s the best out there. I have it for a year, I baby it a lot. Never got clogged. Never needed to be cleaned.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I am not good with it either ! I usually have more on me that where I needed it! I also usually guess to much and it ozzes out all over.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I am not good with it either ! I usually have more on me that where I needed it! I also usually guess to much and it ozzes out all over.

It happens to ooze out.
    Let it dry and cut it.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I second (and third) the recommendations to get a proper foam installation gun. If you’re doing it often enough it’s a headache saver. Also, the tip about keeping the spray can of gun cleaner on hand is priceless.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.590 seconds