dcsimg

Expandable garden hoses

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

OK I REALLY LIKE those expandable garden hoses that shrinks to 8′ or so in length and expands to 25′ 50′ when pressurized.

I REALLY HATE that they last about a month or two the most under the hot Florida sun.

YES I do know they come with a container and you are suppose to disconnect and store them in a cool room after each use. BUT I DON’T.

I have tried several variations of those expandable hoses from standard to heavy to extra heavy duty to “triply” leak and rupture proof versions and they are all the same.

Are there any brand of these out there that work and long lasting?

My wife loves them too. They are light for dragging around the yard for watering her flowers. We have tried a couple of brands. They get drained after each use and hung in the shade. I don’t think any of them last more than a couple of years. The silicone core goes the same way the silicone bands on sling shots go. They dry up and crack.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve never tried those collapsible hoses, so I can’t help here Sami. Seems it’s what I’ve always suspected, they just don’t last very long. Prefer nice quality thick rubber hoses myself. Especially ones I don’t need to assure they are fully drained for the winter and can handle freezing.

Yesterday we bought another 50′ of X-hose. Yeah, I know, but the wife loves them and they’re “improved” now (yeah, OK). Now she can reach all of her gardens for watering without having to hook up the heavy one. She has trouble dragging that around.

On the plus side, they have a ball valve on the end of them. Every hose should have them.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

In addition to light weight and kink free, the number one feature I like about them is once you turn off the bibb they shrink back to say 8′ to 10′ and that makes it unnecessary to keep coiling a long hose back on the rack which is what I hate to do.

You say your last a couple of years? I would be satisfied with that as mine last around 30 days or less 😂.

Doobie
    Pro

Pretty well any product where I see them selling on TV with extradonary claims with a loudmouth over exhited announcer is a clear sign the item in question is actually a POS waste of money.

But I’ve been suckered before. Those ceramic cookware pans. Bought a couple of them before finding the non-stick doesn’t last if they get overheated just once. Trashed all of them within a year and went and spent double on some decent higher end line T-Fal instead. Not unusual. Pay twice as much, but it’ll last 10 times or more longer.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Pretty well any product where I see them selling on TV with extradonary claims with a loudmouth over exhited announcer is a clear sign the item in question is actually a POS waste of money.

But I’ve been suckered before. Those ceramic cookware pans. Bought a couple of them before finding the non-stick doesn’t last if they get overheated just once. Trashed all of them within a year and went and spent double on some decent higher end line T-Fal instead. Not unusual. Pay twice as much, but it’ll last 10 times or more longer.

We just trashed a bunch of our T-Fal. Been using mostly SS or the new copper ceramic. So far both the wife and I really like the copper ceramic

Doobie
    Pro

We just trashed a bunch of our T-Fal. Been using mostly SS or the new copper ceramic. So far both the wife and I really like the copper ceramic

We didn’t have the copper ceramic, but the grey ceramic, although I suspect they are both the same, just the new stuff is copper coloured. Just don’t overheat it. Do it once, it’s junk. The non-stick starts sticking.

Not all T-Fal are long lasting. Their higher end stuff lasts decades. Their Walmart stuff a lot less. Like a few years at best. I still have some T-Fal my parents bought me from Eatons over 30 years ago that still gets used regularly.

The key with any T-Fal is largely to never use metal utensils in them. Took me a good 10 years to get wifey on board with this when we first got married. She finally came around to realizing it though, just a stubborn bad habit she needed to break.

You mean you don’t own a Slap-Chop, or a Sham-Wow?….lol

Doobie
    Pro

You mean you don’t own a Slap-Chop, or a Sham-Wow?….lol

Nope. But I’ve gotta say though, we’ve got a few StarFrit items that have served us well. I originally thought that StarFrit would heve been junkie stuff as they advertise a lot leading into Christmas and some of their stuff frankly seems gimmicky, but a can opener we have of theirs has been a ‘Star’ performer in the kitchen for many years now.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie Eaton’s ha I haven’t heard that name for years , my dad was a manager at the downtown store ,
    I grew up with things from Eaton’s
    My God our old appliances were Viking
    My dad retired about a decade before they started going downhill ,

What type of hose do you buy
    I’ve been buying the average hose not more than 30 bucks , as they tend to only last around 5 years

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve been buying the average hose not more than 30 bucks , as they tend to only last around 5 years

They sell a big black hose that is made by Swan at HD that can handle freezing. I like all black as it doesn’t look ugly dirty in due time like other hoses. LV sells some higher end hoses also, but they’re pricier.

I also bought a 15 footer at LV made from Flexilla that seems pretty good also just a week ago. I have some Flexilla air hoses and I like them. I needed a new line from my spigot to one of my hose reel carts as the older ones look like they were about to burst.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=71934&cat=2,2280,33160

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

They sell a big black hose that is made by Swan at HD that can handle freezing. I like all black as it doesn’t look ugly dirty in due time like other hoses. LV sells some higher end hoses also, but they’re pricier.

I also bought a 15 footer at LV made from Flexilla that seems pretty good also just a week ago. I have some Flexilla air hoses and I like them. I needed a new line from my spigot to one of my hose reel carts as the older ones look like they were about to burst.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=71934&cat=2,2280,33160

Thanks for the info Kevin , I’ll have to check it out.

Doobie
    Pro

Went to LV today to check out their in-store clearance sale they started earlier this week and return a few items. I wanted to buy a second BT water timer but they were out of stock and will just ship it for free from Ottawa. But I did find a good clearance deal on a wall mountable quality hose reel I’m gonna need. It was the last one left.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

well, Flex Seal actually work pretty good, despite the infomercial.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That’s that spray sealing in the can right , I always wondered about that.
    What did you use it for.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

That’s that spray sealing in the can right , I always wondered about that.
    What did you use it for.

I had some pin hole leaks on the bottom side of a 2″ copper drain probably from tenants having used acidic drain cleaning products over the years (when being told not to). I needed to replace that drain but I didn’t have time to do it at that moment. I was debating between using a coat of epoxy on the underside of the pipe – but epoxy would have required the pipe to be completely dry before application (it was dripping very slowly and may drip for hours), and epoxy would need time to cure and the tenant wasn’t happy to not being able to use the kitchen drain for 48 hours. I didn’t really think this stupid Flex Seal spray can could do what it claimed, and the only reason I tried it was because if it doesn’t work, I’ll just remove it no harm done. I sprayed the entire underside of the copper drain, two coats and it held for a month until I set aside some time to replace the pipe. Now it’s drain pipe, not supply line. I don’t think I’ll trust it for pressurized pipes but the ad says NO PROBLEM, so may be…it sealed two halves of a fiberglass boat together in the commercial.

Doobie
    Pro

I don’t think I’ll trust it for pressurized pipes but the ad says NO PROBLEM,

I watched a bunch of videos on it not long ago and pressurized applications do not fare well.

…it sealed two halves of a fiberglass boat together in the commercial.

Gilligan would have been proud….til he ended up on another island. Guess he would call that one FlexSeal Island. Lol

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.450 seconds