dcsimg

Estimating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author

I just use pen and paper for my estimates, but mine are not as complex as most of yours. I don crime and trauma scene cleaning in western Washington. http://www.biodeconsolutions.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I just use pen and paper for my estimates, but mine are not as complex as most of yours. I don crime and trauma scene cleaning in western Washington. http://www.biodeconsolutions.com

That is a tough gig. When I worked in the insurance restoration field the company I PM’d for did some crime scene cleanup. The crime scenes were always put up to volunteer – none of the field guys wanted to do them so the supervisors and PM’s always got stuck with them. Not my cup of tea…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Robert, it seems that if you figure all of the items like the crappy access and poor conditions you read to much into the job and some guy who is not smart enough to do that gets the job.

We typically aren’t working with price shoppers, quite often we are the higher bid anyways (and it’s still not enough). But people know our reputation and I’ll show them in progress projects to prove that we do the highest quality work.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I agree that you need to cover all of your costs, we sell our services as a complete price with all things considered. There are to many out there that will bid low and look for change orders later.

About half of our projects are to price sensitive shoppers andvthe rest are those looking for a fair price and quality work.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Now there is a job. Welcome Scott.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

…quite often we are the higher bid anyways (and it’s still not enough)…

Funny, I don’t think that I’m the cheapest, but I do the job right the first time. I can show many examples of what others have done in the past.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

During my apprenticeship years I worked for a guy that was the low bidder on a 12 Million dollar project. When we finished the job there were over 14 million dollars in change orders.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Does that mean that the total job was 26 Million? How did that work out? My brother is getting ready to start on a 34 Million dollar job in a couple of months.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have seen jubs where things keep getting added and unforseen conditions pop up where the fimal cost is more than double the original

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I don’t do estimates for myself, but I work out pricing to compare to what contractors want to charge us. I use spreadsheets for all my accounting work.
    I have a hard-copy pricing book that’s my go-to for when I’m not sure of the numbers. It’s always dead-on with what it recommends. So, just for fun I recently downloaded their student edition of the software. Haven’t used it yet, though.

Pat

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

NIce bird Pat.
    Yes Sven, it was 26 Million.
    I found out the guy always under bid the other contractors to get the job and he had a full time staff that would examine the flaws in the prints and start writing, legal, change orders immediately on any job they took.
    The owner would go ahead with the changes “one bite at a time” thinking,’ well they are already on site and it keeps things moving’.
    Never realizing what it would turn into.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is crazy Rob. Seems like one of those, just the way it is things. I know if I had a bid on something and the price went up (as a customer), I would be a bit upset.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Shortly afterward, I started my own business and determined that I would do everything I could to give a complete ‘total cost’ contract to all my clients.
    That has worked great for me and my clients also.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We do the same Rob, when people ask about contingency’s for overages, we typically run in the 2 to 5 % range and 90% of that is based on customer changes. Out customers talk about friends who have 10 to 20% in overruns. any overrun charges we initiate are based on unforseen conditions such as poor soils and rotten areas that we find.

We do our best to match allowances with the customers desires to keep realistic numbers for them and give them a true picture.

Many Homes and projects have no overruns.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I use Excel (well, Open Office’s version).

Does anyone do any formulating?

Resident Sign Guy

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have my estimate set up in sheet 1 of excell then it pulls totals and allowances to sheet 2 to create the proposal. All of the allowances are then pulled to sheet 3 to track them so when I enter one item it follows through to 3 forms.

RSG
    Pro
    Niles, OH

Just started using the Joist App for iPad. Really nice IMO once you get it set up the way you need it

I have my estimate set up in sheet 1 of excell then it pulls totals and allowances to sheet 2 to create the proposal. All of the allowances are then pulled to sheet 3 to track them so when I enter one item it follows through to 3 forms.

I do something almost exactly the same. My last sheet is formatted similar to my proposal sheet but allows me to enter and track actual job cost so I can see how the two compare at the end of a job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Just started using the Joist App for iPad. Really nice IMO once you get it set up the way you need it

I looked into joist but their Android app is notnas good as the apple so I did not use it.

I use a combination of pen/paper, Quickbooks, and subs to derive my quotes. For our work, no two projects are ever the same, so unified pricing just doesnt work. It is very tedious to compile an accurate, complete price.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.396 seconds