dcsimg

Essential Router Bits

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Yes, I bought the whole bin at an auction for a company liquidating a lot of tools. There was over a couple thousand dollars of bits there but I paid a fraction of that. I put them on Craig’s list every once in a while and get rid of a few that way now and then.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

kurt, that photo i posted is actually 2 years old roughly, ive since switched those routers and bits over to being stored in a lboxx 2

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Yes, I bought the whole bin at an auction for a company liquidating a lot of tools. There was over a couple thousand dollars of bits there but I paid a fraction of that.

What a great find! I got a bunch of Porter Cable bits at extremely low prices a long time ago but have not had good fortune like that or yours since. That’s cool when you can find a deal like that and it sounds like you more than recovered your money.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i almost bought a bunch of hte pc bits from the dewalt factory service center a few years ago, they were clearing them out because pc was no longer making them.. i opted not to though because the bits i use most often were long gone

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think I am going to stick to the 10 essential list, or close to it. I looked at what I am using the most and it will give me some doubles (which I need) and it will replace some of the cheap bits I have.

Thanks for all your input! With my two router tables I am planning to use my routers even more.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I would bet you are going to want some fancier edge forming bits if you are making any kind of table top, etc.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I would bet you are going to want some fancier edge forming bits if you are making any kind of table top, etc.

I think your right. For now all my furniture has been the shaker/mission/craftsman so I haven’t done any routered profiles on the edge. But I can see that changing. Then it’s a one off for the project.

I will also look at specialized bits to do our house trim when the need arises.

Brad T

Sometimes you can use just a portion of the profile of one bit and combine it with another profile or portion of one and avoid having to buy another bit.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

I think it makes a big difference what type of work you’re doing. My most used bit is a three sixteenths roundover bit, I use it when building decks, for when I rip a piece of decking and want to make it look like the rest. I use it on my railings, too.

Oooh, I like that idea. I hate the ripped board at the end.

Kurt – that is a great haul of bits. Looks like it is newer or older packaging…different than what is available at Lowes nowadays. Igot one of the spirals from BTP and it came in similar packaging. Seems like a really nice bit.

Brad — I think starting with the one set is a good first step, but like anything I bet that more bits find their way into your shop…I have several hundred bits now in 1/4, 8mm, 3/8 and 1/2 inch shank sizes.

Orange County, CA

Man now youz guys have got me! I’m really hurtin on the router and bit set up. I have two cheap a$$ routers and some cheap Ryobi bits….Sad but true!<br>
    Altho cheap the small coffee grinder size Ridgid works well and has made it’s money back over and over again.<br>
    Router and bits is something that is high on my list of things I need to up grade.<br>
    Well at least my router says made in the USA on it!

Nothing wrong with the Ryobi, Dirty…you have one of the good ones and if it works for you then that is great. I would heartily recommend the MR23 series routers if you wanted to get a new one or one in a plunge base.

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Brad — I think starting with the one set is a good first step, but like anything I bet that more bits find their way into your shop…I have several hundred bits now in 1/4, 8mm, 3/8 and 1/2 inch shank sizes.

Scot, isn’t that the truth, now that I have a dedicated set up i have been looking for sales and bargains etc. I am sure over the next little while my collection will grow substantially.

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@thedude306. ! Did you get a point total for your list of bits?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@kurtwelkerhomes-com
    yup,

82811 5/16” arbor for slot cutter 11,600

84405M ¼” Roundover error in number

84428M 3/8” x 9/16” Cove bit 15,250
    84706M 9* Dovetail 9,000
    85251M ½” Double flute straight bit 10,100
    85410M ¼” Single flute straight bit 6,750
    85597M 1 5/16” x45* Chamfer bit 14,320
    85601M ½” Double flute trim bit 11,650
    85610M ¼” 3 wing slot cutter bit 9,600
    85615M ½” Rabbeting bit 14,700
    85913M 3/8” Spiral upcut 23,500

that’s 126470 points.

I gave Aaron the wrong number for the round over so I need to add that. Say another 15000

Brad T

I am starting my bit collection from scratch. The lists of essentials posted are a big help. Thanks! First ones I get will be flush cut, round-over and spiral cut.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I’m thinking around 120K for all of them.

Sven hit it fairly close with his guess. Are the bits your next redemption @thedude306

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@kurtwelkerhomes-com

I think so. I always struggle with points. I think it’s a nice thing to get stuff that I normally wouldn’t purchase. Like my L-boxxes. Or the little pinner I got (that I love and should have bought long ago)

A complete set like those above is one of those things that I normally would piece together over time… To have it all at once would be nice. And I am close in points.

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@thedude306

I noticed that you were close, I feel the same way with the points, I dont know what my next target is, just collecting fornow. Without a goal, Iit is harder to be as motivated and I feel like I have a lot less to say.

I think bits and accessories is a great way to spend points. The costs of these things can gar outweigh the cost of a tool, too. I do not need too many tools as I have most of what I need already, but I always need blades and bits and other consumable items.

Orange County, CA

I think you summed it up quite well again Scot. I am in the same boat at this point. Although you and others have me convinced a track saw is in my future.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.497 seconds