dcsimg

Essential Router Bits

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author

What do you guys think are the essential router bits to have? I like Gary Rogowski’s list from FWW posted a few years ago:

http://www.holbren.com/whiteside-10-essential-router-bits-set.html

I would probably add a few more sizes of bits to this to really round it out (i.e. more round-over bits and a couple of different sizes of straight bit) but all in all this is a really good set-up.

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Is this still the go to list? It seems pretty complete and I see @supimeister JohnS has just purchased the set.

I am trying to piece it together with bosch bits to give them a try.

Any other crucial bits you would want to add?

Plywood bits? 1/4 spiral?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Oh interesting – totally missed this topic. I am thinking I will probably want a few additional sizes of dovetail bits and I would love to know what you think of Bosch’s!

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I just sent this list of to BTP, all Bosch numbers

85410M ¼” Single flute straight bit
    85251M ½” Double flute straight bit
    85601M ½” Double flute trim bit
    85601M ¼” Roundover
    85913M 3/8” Spiral upcut
    85597M 1 5/16” x45* Chamfer bit
    84428M 3/8” x 9/16” Cove bit
    84706M 9* Dovetail
    85615M ½” Rabbeting bit
    85610M ¼” 3 wing slot cutter bit
    82811 5/16” arbor for slot cutter

I haven’t decided if the dovetail furniture/drawers are what I want yet. I know the pride in doing them is nice, but I don’t know if it adds any real value for us. Maybe big hand cut ones in certain furniture.

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have always had good luck with Bosch Bits. I would say about 2/3 of the bits I regularly use are Bosch. The rest are a big mixture of everything.

As for the bit list, for me, I could do without the slot cutter, I have one that I seldom use. I originally bought it to cut slots for biscuits but now that I have a biscuit Joiner I don’t think I have used it since. I could also do without the dovetail bit as Really don’t ever use them. If I were going to cut dovetails I would buy the specific bit I wanted. While there may be a savings in the set, you kind of take what you get, if you are piecing it together, there a couple you could pass on or wait until you need a specific bit.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Wonder how many points that is going to run you Brad? Did you get an answer yet?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

No idea? Any guesses? Some of those bits range from $10 to $40. Nothing really expensive I don’t think. I just sent it in this afternoon. As individual bits it’s quite expensive. The whiteside set is reasonable and they appear to be top quality bits.

I would like to give the bosch ones a try. I honestly haven’t used a bosch product I haven’t liked yet.

Brad T

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m thinking around 120K for all of them.

One of my essential router bits is a 1/8″ roundover. That gets more use than any of my other bits. I use it to ease the edges. A good 90 degree edge on hardwood can be sharp even to the point of cutting you.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I think it makes a big difference what type of work you’re doing. My most used bit is a three sixteenths roundover bit, I use it when building decks, for when I rip a piece of decking and want to make it look like the rest. I use it on my railings, too.

I’ve never made dovetails so have never bought one of those bits.

I have been pleased with Bosch bits.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

for me i carry

1/2″ straight cut bit
    1/4″ straight cut
    3/4 straight cut

1/4, 3/8″ roundover
    1/4, 3/8 cove

flush cut bit

roman ogee,

i have roughly 40 bits but some of them are duplicates of my commons that i carry just incase one burns up during a job while im in the middle of something, others are ones i bought for a one off project or its a cool profile and i got it off a clearance table

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Attachments:
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice setup Jeff, I am going to make storage box forbitsin one of the L-boxx’s I just got.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

here’s what I am starting with plus the 3/4″ that’s in the router table. Some decent, most are cheapies.

Brad T

We have the exact same router kit @thedude306. Its been a fantastic kit. Keep us posted on the bits.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I got the 3/8 inch spiral from Bosch…my guess is that they buy from Amana — it is stamped that it is made in Israel on the side. It looks to be very high quality. Cannot remember the point value of it, but it was aroun 7,500 I believe. Could be wrong on that, though. I like dovetail bits for sliding dovetails. I do not really like using a bit for drawers as I find it looks too machined, but that is just me. Roundover bits and straight bits are probably the most used bits that I have and maybe an Ogee thrown in there. A core box or two gives you coves. Actually a bowl or dish cutting bit is very handing to have, especially if you need to remove a lot of material.

Orange County, CA

I got the 3/8 inch spiral from Bosch…my guess is that they buy from Amana — it is stamped that it is made in Israel on the side. It looks to be very high quality.

Interesting… I wonder if all of their router bits are made by Amana? I have heard that they definitely make some quality bits, so that is exciting to hear.

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man now youz guys have got me! I’m really hurtin on the router and bit set up. I have two cheap a$$ routers and some cheap Ryobi bits….Sad but true!
    Altho cheap the small coffee grinder size Ridgid works well and has made it’s money back over and over again.
    Router and bits is something that is high on my list of things I need to up grade.
    Well at least my router says made in the USA on it!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

When I don’t have the bit I need in my kit I can probably find it in here. The box is about 12 by 20 by 8 inches deep and all Bosch bits. There are a lot of duplicates but having him around comes in handy. Originally I had about a hundred twenty bits in the box.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

That’s a nice stash of bits Kurt.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

WOW Kurt, that’s a pretty good haul? Was that a going out of business find?

We don’t see many (any) bosch bits on the shelf up here.

I do not really like using a bit for drawers as I find it looks too machined, but that is just me.

I tend to agree, I think if I am going to do a joint, it would just be a simple box joint.

We have the exact same router kit @thedude306. Its been a fantastic kit. Keep us posted on the bits.

it’s a great kit, the new MR23 is even better.

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.541 seconds