dcsimg

Essential router accessories

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 114 total)
  • Author

What do you consider essential accessories for your router?

-Dust control?
    -Edge guides? (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1054-Deluxe-Extraction-Adapter/dp/B00005RHPP)
    -Various jigs?
    -Other things?

John S

kzcarp
    Pro

An edge guide like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-42690-Guide-Models-Routers/dp/B0000222V9
    and a home-made trammel for cutting out circles or parts of circles.
    And lots of high quality bits.

kevin

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

What I am thinking would be essential right about now would be a table for my router. I have a fixed depth router that would be great under a table but I just haven’t found a good table yet.

redwood
    Pro

All my routers have edge guides, some better then others. We have to do a lot of dadoing for wireing and such.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Edge guide , I have various wheel jigs and I like that they are all plunge routers

Edge guide for sure
    Bushings for template work
    DC is a must-have for me now
    Router bits 🙂
    Router table
    MFS Template system — so I can make just about anything/any jig I need

Orange County, CA

I just quickly scanned through this whole doc, which demonstrates some of the different potential uses of the MSF template system… very impressive

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/mfs-users-guide-brice-burrell.pdf

John S

Yep — it is very nice. You are only limited to your imagination. You use the template to cut MDF or something to make a template for your keeper piece — makinig arcs or circles, for example — I would not want to commit to cutting a table top right from the MFS – -I would rather mess up a piece of MDF, refine it and then use that as a template for the real deal.

Orange County, CA

If you were to get a Festool-only router setup, it sure seems that the $$ keeps racking up real quick. That makes me like some of the accessories the guys mentioned earlier a bit more 🙂

John S

It does, but considering how well the stuff works and lasts it does not seem so bad. Festool really does provide a lot of value — you just have to get over the initial cost.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The good tools make their money back and make your job easier.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I did not see anyone mention a router mat. These are nice to have when routing something not attached to anything yet.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Does anyone have the Bosch router and table setup? Or recommend a universal router table that I could potentially use with my Hitachi router?

I think generally people think the Bosch benchtop router table is pretty decent. It is definitely better than the other options around that price. But for a little bit more, the Kreg and Bench Dog benchtop router tables are supposed to be very good.

John S

I think that these are good products. I have a small Bench Dog and it is awesome.

Orange County, CA

I have a full sized table for the shop. One friend had a Kreg and I felt it was not sturdy enough when I looked at it (he was selling it). I have another friend that has a Bench Dog and he highly recommended his when we spoke about portable router tables.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow that cast iron table looks super good!

Dirty

Wow that cast iron table looks super good!

I suppose rather than getting a benchtop router table you could always just add it as an extension to your table saw!

Another option I have toyed with myself is doing the Paulk workbench v.2 which has a router table built into the bench….

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Did you get the V.2 plans?

Dirty

Not yet – I just don’t think I have enough room in my shop for it, even though I like a lot of what he has done. But the fact he added the ability to add a router and fence to his table is a great upgrade to it

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.572 seconds