dcsimg

Energy boxes

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Hey guys just curious on what your using for electrical boxes that meet the energy codes.

We have to use gasket ed boxes in exterior walls. I hate them because they have a flange and foam backing that bulge drywall. I end up chiseling out some of the stud and resetting the boxes after my electrician.

Someone told me Arlington makes a better alternative but I have not yet seen them.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We use the same, don’t really like them, but they seem it
    Be the most economical option. It would probably be easier to route out an eighth inch of the stud instead of the drywall, most dry Waller’s won’t do that. We do not have a lot of problems with the bumps in the walls.

They do make a thin plastic pan that is about 8” x 8” you can use them use a regular box inside the pan. We have used those as well, but they interfere with Insulstion in my opinion.

Another option is to use regular boxes and closed cell foam. It is much more expensive however.

All options have trade offs

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We have to use gasket ed boxes in exterior walls. I hate them because they have a flange and foam backing that bulge drywall

Man another regulation with unintended consequences. I really dislike it when government tries to do design. It usually does turn out as expected.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Its just a hassle. The electrician isnt going to fuss thats for sure so after he does his work I go around and chisel or OMT where the box is so I can move it.
    Needless to say the time….and moving a screw 3/32 is also a hassle, There is a small screw inside of the box as well which opens a liability issue touching someone elses work.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We don’t use these Energy boxes you speak of out here. It must be a east cost thing.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

These more specifically
    https://goo.gl/images/4XJs6s

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

here are a few options that do not create the bump but

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

They all suck. I think squirt some spray foam behind the boxes knowing you can back there well with Batts.
    I also have used the surface mount gaskets behind the trim covers which helped.
    Oh well

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Gasketed boxes have been code for us for 8 years now and do not really cause that much of an issue with bumps in the wall or ceiling. the only place we really have issues is door casing when a box is real close to the door jamb, something we have to live with for energy efficiency.

I can say we have never had an issue with a homeowner complaint about walls or issues that the gasketed boxes cause

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

My complaint is geared towards kitchen backsplashes where we have many and long subway tile can be a problem.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

here are a few options that do not create the bump but

That last photo looks like a nice option.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My complaint is geared towards kitchen backsplashes where we have many and long subway tile can be a problem.

I think in that case I would have my taper add a pass around the boxes when finishing the wall or do it myself with some 45 or 90 minute mud when prepping for the tile. anything to reduce the lippage you would get on the tile. Subway tile are so popular and can make things difficult if you get a bump like that or a bad stud.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.579 seconds