dcsimg

End grain cutting board through a thickness planer?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well, i put on my ear muffs, safety glasses, turned my privates away from the machine, said a little prayer and let her rip….

Came out very nice for a unique look.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The few end grain boards I did, I used my router and a jig because I didn’t deem it worth the effort or risk to try the thickness planer, and I practically guarantee that you a router, so the jig only takes a few minutes.

Nice boards by the way.

Will

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The few end grain boards I did, I used my router and a jig because I didn’t deem it worth the effort or risk to try the thickness planer, and I practically guarantee that you a router, so the jig only takes a few minutes.

Nice boards by the way.

Do you have a picture of your set up? its something i have been looking into as i need to flatten a few logs lol.

Love the pattern!

There is no pattern. 🙂 And that is what makes it cool. It looks like it was quite a jig saw puzzle to put together. Great work.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Well, i put on my ear muffs, safety glasses, turned my privates away from the machine, said a little prayer and let her rip….no tearout, and most importantly, no explosion! I rounded the leading edges with my belt sander, and took very light cuts, thanks for that input r-ice! Worked very well really, i tried as best i could to get flat glue ups, used cauls and clamped every which way i could, but still seemed to have some slippage. The belt sander would have done the job, but not nearly as nice as the planer, and would have taken much longer, so now i know, but i think the advice from r ice was key, round the leading edge and very light cuts, and it got my adrenaline going that first pass or two, which is always a good thing! Thanks everyone!

That turned out great!

I like your explanation of the pattern too – did you cut it on a table saw? Or bandsaw? Or …?

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well, i put on my ear muffs, safety glasses, turned my privates away from the machine, said a little prayer and let her rip….no tearout, and most importantly, no explosion! I rounded the leading edges with my belt sander, and took very light cuts, thanks for that input r-ice! Worked very well really, i tried as best i could to get flat glue ups, used cauls and clamped every which way i could, but still seemed to have some slippage. The belt sander would have done the job, but not nearly as nice as the planer, and would have taken much longer, so now i know, but i think the advice from r ice was key, round the leading edge and very light cuts, and it got my adrenaline going that first pass or two, which is always a good thing! Thanks everyone!

That pattern is great. I’m happy it worked out for you.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

All done on the tablesaw. Just google “random pattern cutting boards” the russian guys video comes up, no explanation but just watch to get the idea, just wing it for measurements and angles. I made a router sled too, but the speed and precision of the thickness planer was just too tempting!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

All done on the tablesaw. Just google “random pattern cutting boards” the russian guys video comes up, no explanation but just watch to get the idea, just wing it for measurements and angles. I made a router sled too, but the speed and precision of the thickness planer was just too tempting!

yah the router sled would be good for larger pieces that can’t fit in the planer, i’d use the thickness planner for the end grain just as safe as i possible can.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Well, i put on my ear muffs, safety glasses, turned my privates away from the machine, said a little prayer and let her rip…

Very unique pattern to say the least. Great work.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Nice boards by the way.

Do you have a picture of your set up? its something i have been looking into as i need to flatten a few logs lol.

Nick Offerman has written several articles about his success. He uses his setup mostly for slabs, but for end grain cross cut logs (I’m assuming) you’d do the same thing. I’ve never tried it myself, but you may find something if you use his name in your search.

Great looking board!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Beautiful cutting board! It would have been a shame to see that one explode, for sure. Really glad it worked out for you. After all the information here, I may have to give the planer a try for end grain. Think I will stand to the side, though.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

dibs16
    Pro
    Hanson, MA

Looks great!! Love the black walnut and maple combo

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Anxious to see it oiled. I don’t think I would have been brave enough to run it through the planner. I’m wondering if it will warp or pull apart in time? I made checker boards out of maple and walnut and they all ended up coming apart.
    Looks great now .

Not sure if I would try that myself when I have a drum sander that is available. I appreciate the tips on extremely light cuts and rounding the leading edge should the need arise. That makes sense on long grain too for extremely hard woods like hickory.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Some salad bowl oil a final buff with some beeswax really brought out the colors, and a grapefruit and tequila shot is fitting i think!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s a Picasso cutting board! Where did you come up with that pattern?…and how long did it take to assemble all of those irregular cuts?

The board looks great, I have no idea how you got all those shapes to get tight.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Some salad bowl oil a final buff with some beeswax really brought out the colors, and a grapefruit and tequila shot is fitting i think!

That looks amazing. Now I’ve been in search of beeswax so I can melt some in with mineral oil o use as a finish. With the salad bowl finish did you build up a layer ?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Amazing looking board! I can just imagine the care taken to ensure all the parts are in order.

That looks amazing. Now I’ve been in search of beeswax so I can melt some in with mineral oil o use as a finish. With the salad bowl finish did you build up a layer ?

If you have problems finding beeswax, I can hook you up easily. Let me know.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Sure looks nice! I like the handles you added. I think it is to nice to use!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice job on the cutting board.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.323 seconds