dcsimg

Ellen's Design Challenge TV show

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author

The second season of this show is now finished and from the minds of the young designers who participated has come a really interesting body of work.

They and their tradesman helpers used CNC machining, plasma cutting, vacuum bagging as well as some traditional joinery to accomplish this.

I enjoyed watching just to see the finished pieces emerge from the variety of materials and technology that were used. Not everybodys taste but, I enjoyed.

And one good example of table saw kickback

Some of the designs and tools were cool, but as you say that kickback was spectacularly scary, and it happened even with new tools, pros and good wood.

Will

Would the show be any good with out the professional help the receive for each project .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Some of the designs and tools were cool, but as you say that kickback was spectacularly scary, and it happened even with new tools, pros and good wood.

Contestant or pro? Do you have a link to a video?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

It was a pro I believe, I had the show recorded on my PVR to avoid commercials and silly drama I re-played it a dozen times, I’ll look to see if I can find a link.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The second season of this show is now finished and from the minds of the young designers who participated has come a really interesting body of work.

They and their tradesman helpers used CNC machining, plasma cutting, vacuum bagging as well as some traditional joinery to accomplish this.

I enjoyed watching just to see the finished pieces emerge from the variety of materials and technology that were used. Not everybodys taste but, I enjoyed.

That was a real beauty, Eric, and just a couple of days after I experienced the same thing in my shop. MJ splitters are now in place.

Would the show be any good with out the professional help the receive for each project .

IMO the pro helpers are the backbone of the work. The designers have substantial skills, yes, but not enough to come up with the level of finish we see.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’ve seen the commercials but never watched an episode. It’s not quite my cup of tea.

I’m more of a DIY renovation show kinda guy – that way I can cringe and yell at the TV like I’m watching sports!

That was a real beauty, Eric, and just a couple of days after I experienced the same thing in my shop. MJ splitters are now in place.

IMO the pro helpers are the backbone of the work. The designers have substantial skills, yes, but not enough to come up with the level of finish we see.

I agree the pros are what makes it happen, but some of the designers obviously have more skill than others. I wonder if the most recent winner would have won without her pro as her primary skill set was metal.

Will

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i haven’t gotten to see this show yet, was the kickback preventable? how did it happen?

i haven’t gotten to see this show yet, was the kickback preventable? how did it happen?

About 5 seconds before it happened, I mentioned to my wife that the guy seemed to be in a rush and pushing the wood through a rip too fast. Then I saw there was no splitter or riving knife on the saw despite it being a brand new Jet

Momentary case of the stupids is likely the cause

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

About 5 seconds before it happened, I mentioned to my wife that the guy seemed to be in a rush and pushing the wood through a rip too fast. Then I saw there was no splitter or riving knife on the saw despite it being a brand new Jet

Momentary case of the stupids is likely the cause

I think I remember that it was preventable. Looked like he was working too fast. I’m surprised it didn’t get edited out as it’s probably embarrassing for the guy it happened to. I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. And my wife enjoyed it as well, so win-win. I thought they made some poor judging decisions at times, but then such is the subjective nature of judging.

yellaD
    Pro

Anyone know about the giant Jet mitre saw in that show? It looks much bigger than 12″ blade..

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Anyone know about the giant Jet mitre saw in that show? It looks much bigger than 12″ blade..

I didn’t think Jet made anything bigger than a 12 inch chop saw. Could be something not off the retail production line. Or maybe, like they say, the camera adds 10 pounds (and a few inches to your blade diameter!!)

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I didn’t think Jet made anything bigger than a 12 inch chop saw. Could be something not off the retail production line. Or maybe, like they say, the camera adds 10 pounds (and a few inches to your blade diameter!!)

Maybe camera angles are deceiving? The Jet website does not have anything larger than 12″

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

yellaD
    Pro

No it does not. Probably an illusion, hehe. I haven’t seen the finale yet, but I like the woman’s designs so far. She’s good at metalworking and with the carpenter’s help, it brings her ideas to life…better than if one person tried to do the entire project.

Is it a special edition Jet saw for some reason I don’t now any dealers that sell it @yellaD @58Chev .

Always willing to learn .

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I still haven’t watched an episode yet. Think I will download one tomorrow and give it a shot.

A Working Pro since 2004

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.654 seconds