dcsimg

Ellen's Design Challenge TV show

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

I like the show called Fixer uppper. With the guy and his beautiful wife. They even have their kids on the show at times.

Yeah, I think your right on about that show, it’s a good one.

@ChadM
    yes sir, that’s another great show. No drama, just get it done.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I did watch the first 2 episodes last night. Some cool designs and they have some really talented carpenters working with them. It is good entertainment and I actually learned something. One girl got her walnut bed to look very dark by aging the wood with vinegar and water instead of stain. Pretty cool. I want to read up a bit more on that technique.

That second episode showed some real design talent. The aged walnut with gold leaf accent and the welded steel/walnut bed were my favs.
    Reality show hype aside, I’m going to enjoy watching.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

New Yankee Workshop is a timeless show and has influenced more than a few people through the years. If it was produced today it would probably be driven by sponsors and advertisements, and I doubt “Norm” would have had free reign on narration, choice of tools, or editing like back in the day. Call it the skeptic in me.

well the wood whisperer is doing a good job with decluttering his tools so that regular joes can follow him.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

New Yankee Workshop is a timeless show and has influenced more than a few people through the years. If it was produced today it would probably be driven by sponsors and advertisements, and I doubt “Norm” would have had free reign on narration, choice of tools, or editing like back in the day. Call it the skeptic in me.

well the wood whisperer is doing a good job with decluttering his tools so that regular joes can follow him.

All those are great, of course Roy Underhill is the ruler of the roost in my opinion. That guy is the best, and no other woodworking show will show accidents as they happen. Wood Whisperer is great, too.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

All those are great, of course Roy Underhill is the ruler of the roost in my opinion. That guy is the best, and no other woodworking show will show accidents as they happen. Wood Whisperer is great, too.

WW is carving out a niche for himself with his “hybrid woodworking” concept. A lot of us are doing that but he has put a name on it and given it legitimacy. I haven’t read his book yet, but I will one day.

I also enjoy Roy Underhill for the “unvarnished” reality of it, does anyone else also watch Tommy Mac on PBS?

Will

I also enjoy Roy Underhill for the “unvarnished” reality of it, does anyone else also watch Tommy Mac on PBS?

Something about him I just dont like. He seems really good at what he does, but cannot get past something about him

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thanks, I’ll check both of them out.

yellaD
    Pro

One girl got her walnut bed to look very dark by aging the wood with vinegar and water instead of stain. Pretty cool. I want to read up a bit more on that technique.

I’ve tried 0000 steel wool+ vingegar, rusty nails+ vinegar, but not vinegar and water. The other two methods color/stain/age the wood well but both leave a funny smell and texture after drying. You might want to seal it as well after as well.

#Hate Judge Judy, ARGH!

Wood whisperer is my fav. for entertainment value + useful info. Others are not entertaining or just fluff. He makes it easy to follow and probably throws a lot of money at the video set-up. I did watch his vid on him explaining some of this when he built his new shop.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How did ellen get her claim to fame?? Why is she a big deal. It isn’t her looks that’s for sure!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

How did ellen get her claim to fame?? Why is she a big deal. It isn’t her looks that’s for sure!

It’s her big heart.
    She is most undoubtedly the most giving person in show business, even more so than Oprah, apparently??.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

It’s her big heart.
    She is most undoubtedly the most giving person in show business, even more so than Oprah, apparently??.

She had a sitcom years ago that did pretty well. After that, she did some small variety shows, some voice work (finding Nemo was a big one) and married Portia De Rossi.

She is comfortable in front of a camera, speaks her mind, and keeps it light.

Not my taste, but she seems like the type of person you want in a light daytime talk show or as a reality show host

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

WW is carving out a niche for himself with his “hybrid woodworking” concept. A lot of us are doing that but he has put a name on it and given it legitimacy. I haven’t read his book yet, but I will one day.

that is amazing, i didn’t realize that was the name of what we do. hybrid woodworking, sounds pretty cool actually.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m becoming a big fan of Matthew Cremona. Young guy doing everything from cutting logs, milling lumber to some really fine furniture building.

His cherry secretary build is truly spectacular.

yellaD
    Pro

Yes, Matt Cremona and Marc are the two more popular guys on youTube. They’ve recently teamed up to do WW’s podcast, so maybe they will do more stuff together in the future.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have been a longtime fan of Roy Underhill, would love to do a class or two at his school.

Something about him I just dont like. He seems really good at what he does, but cannot get past something about him

I think he is a little…exuberant for some people lol. He really gets in to what he does. He did a great TED talk too for anyone who is interested.
    http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxRaleigh-2011-Roy-Underhill

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Is Ellen married to a famous movie star or have famous kids??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

This thread is still going? 😝

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

This thread is still going? 😝

Yes.
    At a base level, I don’t see anything different here from a music, hobby related, food, YT video, weather, or other off topic “TATJS” thread…

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The second season of this show is now finished and from the minds of the young designers who participated has come a really interesting body of work.

They and their tradesman helpers used CNC machining, plasma cutting, vacuum bagging as well as some traditional joinery to accomplish this.

I enjoyed watching just to see the finished pieces emerge from the variety of materials and technology that were used. Not everybodys taste but, I enjoyed.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.518 seconds