dcsimg

EGO

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 253 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

Yes, starting up the generator is not fun, but they have gotten a lot easier with electric start. Mine is hot wire directly to my panel, I just have to remember to shut off my main breaker. No extension cords and my 10 KW generator powers everything in the house, just not all at the same time.

I do have to keep a lot of gas on hand, as when the power goes out, a lot the local gas stations shut down.

Most folks around me have propane standby generators that kick on as soon as the power goes off. Unfortunately, my house is all electric and I didn’t want to bring in a propane tank just for power outages.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Yes, starting up the generator is not fun, but they have gotten a lot easier with electric start. Mine is hot wire directly to my panel, I just have to remember to shut off my main breaker. No extension cords and my 10 KW generator powers everything in the house, just not all at the same time.

I do have to keep a lot of gas on hand, as when the power goes out, a lot the local gas stations shut down.

Most folks around me have propane standby generators that kick on as soon as the power goes off. Unfortunately, my house is all electric and I didn’t want to bring in a propane tank just for power outages.

Sounds like a good setup Mark , yeah I was thinking about getting those generac generators , also I could install it behind the pool shed , I already have a propane line running their for the pool heater , plus I have a 220 panel inside the shed , that would be a great fit , but it’s just the initial start up cost , I believe it would be around 6 grand , give or take a couple of hundred dollars.

redwood
    Pro

My Generac generator is a portable, fuel injected model. I got it onsale at Costco for $800 US, a couple of years ago. Other then the week it was onsale, I’ve never seen it below $1000 US anywhere.

Only other costs were to install a 220V receptacle and make up a short heavy cord.

My setup is bootlegged and definitely not up to anyone’s code but mine. I’ve had this setup at 2 houses for 30 years. Just have to remember to shutoff the main breaker before starting the generator.

With the traditional setups, you basically have a subpanel to hook up your generator. This doesn’t usually cover the whole house, like mine does. If I am judicious with power, I can run anything in my house.

Generac-Generator

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

My Generac generator is a portable, fuel injected model. I got it onsale at Costco for $800 US, a couple of years ago. Other then the week it was onsale, I’ve never seen it below $1000 US.

Only other costs were to install a 220V receptacle and make up a short heavy cord.

My setup is bootlegged and definitely not up to anyone’s code but mine. I’ve had this setup at 2 houses for 30 years. Just have to remember to shutoff the main breaker before starting the generator.

Suicide/widowmaker cord?

redwood
    Pro

“Suicide/widowmaker cord?”

I suppose it could be in the wrong hands.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The ego 56v batteries are quite big in size.

redwood
    Pro

Yes, the better to power your equipment.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Yes, the better to power your equipment.

Yeah they might be slightly larger than some of the other 60 volt competition batteries , but I really find the tools well balanced with the 5.0 batteries , and it’s not that bad actually , I was just using the pole saw with the 5.0 amp battery , and pretty good balance ,

Thats because they have massive capacity

At the end of the day, amp hours and volts don’t really matter as much as watts do – volts and amps are essentially how you manage to “get there” while the wattage is what you can do with it.

An 18v (let’s ignore peak vs run voltage for this) 6.3ah battery has the ability to deliver 113.4 watts of power for 1 hour. Eventually, you hit amperage limits for the cells and wiring, and slightly different discharge curves at different amperage rates, but you can still ballpark that it can deliver double that for half the time and so on.

Ego has a 20amp discharge rate per row of cells. The 2.5ah have one row, the 5ah have two rows, and the 7.5ah has 3 rows. There is a 10ah in Europe which I assume is 4 rows. 3 rows in an Ego means 60amp max discharge at 56v, or 3360 watts at a time – WAY more than anything you could plug into a normal wall socket. 7.5ah means you have 420watt hours of capacity – so, they can deliver up to 3360 watts at a time, for about 7.5 minutes, or deliver 420 watts for an hour.

Either way, an Ego 56v 7.5ah is about 4 times more power than an 18v 6.3ah battery, and they can handle (briefly) power bands that are well into BIG gas territory (3360 watts is 4.5 hp)

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

my local HD still have EGO tools in stock, I went there buying some electrical parts yesterday but walked over to check to see if they may be having the EGO stuff on clearance, not yet LOL.

redwood
    Pro

my local HD still have EGO tools in stock, I went there buying some electrical parts yesterday but walked over to check to see if they may be having the EGO stuff on clearance, not yet LOL.

Relatedly, Lowes now has some EGO in stock and online.

I’m hoping some of EGO’s Home Depot stock gets sent to my auctioneer.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Just have to remember to shutoff the main breaker before starting the generator.

I have seen set ups where they try to back feed through an external 115V outlet, then wonder why 1/2 the outlets and lights don’t work….lol

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Just have to remember to shutoff the main breaker before starting the generator.

I have seen set ups where they try to back feed through an external 115V outlet, then wonder why 1/2 the outlets and lights don’t work….lol

Yes I was told that because your panel is divided into two halves , so depending what side that outlet is on , you will only have what ever is on that side of the panel working ,

redwood
    Pro

My setup uses the 220V outlet and feeds the whole panel.

We are straying a bit gents. Back to EGO

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

I haven’t seen any deals online at the HD for EGO stuff and none have showed up at my auctions yet.

Lowes has a few EGO items, but far from complete. Some things you can order and they will come to the store, but other items no. Items that can’t come to the store but are deliverable carry a hefty delivery charge. $100 for the Nexus 3000 watt inverter w/batteries. I’m hoping that changes soon. Though I will say, that the price is considerably lower then the same deal on Amazon, even with the delivery charge.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

I haven’t seen any deals online at the HD for EGO stuff and none have showed up at my auctions yet.

Lowes has a few EGO items, but far from complete. Some things you can order and they will come to the store, but other items no. Items that can’t come to the store but are deliverable carry a hefty delivery charge. $100 for the Nexus 3000 watt inverter w/batteries. I’m hoping that changes soon. Though I will say, that the price is considerably lower then the same deal on Amazon, even with the delivery charge.

The only deal I saw was last week from someone on ig who saw that HD had a liquidation sale on the Ego string trimmer , it was under 150 I think for the kit , that’s here in Canada ,
    I’m still waiting for the Nexus power station and the new snow blower to get in to the supplier near me , I contacted Ego and igocordless , asking about anything like a special promotion or something , they said no 🙄😢

I just saw a post from Mike Holmes on IG promoting the yeti zero something like that 3000 Watt like the Ego 🤯 4900 plus around 500 bucks for the solar panel , that’s crazy , I’d much rather have the Ego and multiple batteries ,

redwood
    Pro

I’m am now seriously considering the Nexus 3000. Just waiting to run my new pellet stove (it’s been too warm) and seeing how much wattage it uses and how long the Nexus would power it. It would help out so that I don’t have to run my gas generator so much. As well as go out first thing in the morning and having to starting the generator. Maybe I can brew a cup of coffee first, as well.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

I’m am now seriously considering the Nexus 3000. Just waiting to run my new pellet stove (it’s been too warm) and seeing how much wattage it uses and how long the Nexus would power it. It would help out so that I don’t have to run my gas generator so much. As well as go out first thing in the morning and having to starting the generator. Maybe I can brew a cup of coffee first, as well.

Yeah I know , I’ve been reading more about it , it could run a large fridge for over 16 hours , it’s just looking more and more practical for me , at least for a few years , especially since I’ve been buying into the platform , I’ll have extra batteries for extra runtime just in case of longer power outages.

I’ve been extremely impressed with the Ego products so far.

I have the Nexus and it runs a Traeger pretty much forever. If that helps. Not the same type of pellet burner but probably quite a bit of overlap

redwood
    Pro

That’s good to know about the Traeger, I have a Pit Boss pellet BBQ, I should have checked that for power consumption. I imagine it would be really close to the stove. The stove may have a additional blower, that wouldn’t use much energy.

What AH batteries are you using?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 253 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.083 seconds