dcsimg

EGO

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 253 total)
  • Author

That’s good to know about the Traeger, I have a Pit Boss pellet BBQ, I should have checked that for power consumption. I imagine it would be really close to the stove. The stove may have a additional blower, that wouldn’t use much energy.

What AH batteries are you using?

I have eight of the 7.5ah

Nice to keep four on fast chargers in my solar powered workshop while using the Nexus with 4 others.

Although it hits my battery bank HARD to charge four on fast chargers. 1680 wh is about a quarter of my daily solar production so I can handle six waves of batteries per day on the first day and four on subsequent days. Enough to run a pellet stove, a chest freezer, and the kitchen fridge. Even a coffee maker, just not for long

That’s good to know about the Traeger, I have a Pit Boss pellet BBQ, I should have checked that for power consumption. I imagine it would be really close to the stove. The stove may have a additional blower, that wouldn’t use much energy.

Nice to keep four on fast chargers in my solar powered workshop while using the Nexus with 4 others.

Although it hits my battery bank HARD to charge four on fast chargers. 1680 wh is about a quarter of my daily solar production so I can handle six waves of batteries per day on the first day and four on subsequent days. Enough to run a pellet stove, a chest freezer, and the kitchen fridge. Even a coffee maker, just not for long

What kinda setup is it you have bin the shed , how big of a solar panel is it , and how many fast chargers do you have , I assume they are all plugged in to a power bar.

That’s a good supply of batteries and power.

What kinda setup is it you have bin the shed , how big of a solar panel is it , and how many fast chargers do you have , I assume they are all plugged in to a power bar.

My solar setup is pretty heavy for a shed. I have 2400w (nominal) of panels going into a 24v battery bank (220ah – four 12v 110ah lifepo4 batteries for a 5,6kwh capacity) which in turn charges a secondary 12v bank (510ah – three 12v 170ah lifepo4 for another 6.5 kWh)

the 24v bank has a 4000w inverter and the 12v bank has a 3000w inverter.

All power tools in my workshop run off these easily, and all tool batteries can be recharged once the main banks get over 80%, including the Ego stuff

Between my two banks and my Ego Nexus, I effectively have three distinct circuits, so running a dust collector and a big tool (jointer, planer, table saw) still leaves me a plenty of headroom

But, because I chose to put the solar panels in places I can’t see them, none of the strings get more than a few hours of sun a day. Most days, production is between 3 and 6 kWh, so if I drain everything down, it could take a couple of days to get back to full.

In a power failure, I run a 30A plug from the shed to the house and plug it into the generator transfer switch. Runs everything but heat.

Since I got my solar to this point, the only time I start my generator is for maintenance and monthly run.

That said, despite all this, there is no point in tying back to the grid, because our Hydro rates are so low that 6kwh per day is irrelevant. Great in a power failure, but still.

My solar setup is pretty heavy for a shed. I have 2400w (nominal) of panels going into a 24v battery bank (220ah – four 12v 110ah lifepo4 batteries for a 5,6kwh capacity) which in turn charges a secondary 12v bank (510ah – three 12v 170ah lifepo4 for another 6.5 kWh)

the 24v bank has a 4000w inverter and the 12v bank has a 3000w inverter.

All power tools in my workshop run off these easily, and all tool batteries can be recharged once the main banks get over 80%, including the Ego stuff

Between my two banks and my Ego Nexus, I effectively have three distinct circuits, so running a dust collector and a big tool (jointer, planer, table saw) still leaves me a plenty of headroom

But, because I chose to put the solar panels in places I can’t see them, none of the strings get more than a few hours of sun a day. Most days, production is between 3 and 6 kWh, so if I drain everything down, it could take a couple of days to get back to full.

In a power failure, I run a 30A plug from the shed to the house and plug it into the generator transfer switch. Runs everything but heat.

Since I got my solar to this point, the only time I start my generator is for maintenance and monthly run.

That said, despite all this, there is no point in tying back to the grid, because our Hydro rates are so low that 6kwh per day is irrelevant. Great in a power failure, but still.

WOW , sounds like you have a good setup , I bet it wasn’t cheap though ,

redwood
    Pro

So, I broke down and bought the Nexus 3000, tool only, on Amazon. Thought I would try it out and see if I felt I would need more then the 5 batteries that I have.

It did run my coffee maker, so that’s a plus. I wasn’t able to get the wifi or bluetooth apps to run off either my apple phone or my Samsung tablet.

I decided to check out some youtube videos and see if this has come up. I didn’t find anything. But, I did find something hidden in the comments of a pretty good review by workshopaddict. Their review was from Mar. of 2019 and was pretty good actually, they used it in a number of real life scenarios.

They posted this comment a couple of weeks ago. We had to stop our testing due to high voltage killing many of the items we have tested it with. Even after getting a new one from EGO, we still have that issue.

I asked them if they had posted a update video addressing this and here was their response. No because I was threatened by EGO by them telling me, if you do that we will……

Now I’m afraid to use it. I guess I’ll send it back to Amazon.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

So, I broke down and bought the Nexus 3000, tool only, on Amazon. Thought I would try it out and see if I felt I would need more then the 5 batteries that I have.

It did run my coffee maker, so that’s a plus. I wasn’t able to get the wifi or bluetooth apps to run off either my apple phone or my Samsung tablet.

I decided to check out some youtube videos and see if this has come up. I didn’t find anything. But, I did find something hidden in the comments of a pretty good review by workshopaddict. Their review was from Mar. of 2019 and was pretty good actually, they used it in a number of real life scenarios.

They posted this comment a couple of weeks ago. <strong class=”gdbbx-bbcode-bold”><em class=”gdbbx-bbcode-italic”>We had to stop our testing due to high voltage killing many of the items we have tested it with. Even after getting a new one from EGO, we still have that issue.

I asked them if they had posted a update video addressing this and here was their response. <em class=”gdbbx-bbcode-italic”><strong class=”gdbbx-bbcode-bold”>No because I was threatened by EGO by them telling me, if you do that we will……

Now I’m afraid to use it. I guess I’ll send it back to Amazon.

It’s funny you mention that , I actually contacted Brian from workshop addict on a IG post , and he told me something similar , he said he was not going to post anything on the Nexus because of a run-in with Ego , mind you he never mentioned anything about that with other electronics. I even asked someone else on youtube , Andrew from kitearmy , he seems to like Ego , but I’ve noticed that he’s been trying other options , and told me that he hasn’t done anything else with the Nexus , that’s one of the reasons I have been holding off on my purchase , I have it in my cart on igocordless , but haven’t pulled the trigger yet , I haven’t really seen any newer videos or reviews on it , that being said , it still looks like a good unit , 🤷‍♂️

redwood
    Pro

Well it’s not a good unit if it fries other devices that are plugged into it. I can’t afford that.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Well it’s not a good unit if it fries other devices that are plugged into it. I can’t afford that.

I agree , but did they actually have proof , I’m not saying I don’t believe them , it’s just I prefer to have solid evidence or real time videos or something solid to base it on , it seemed like it was a hit , but now I don’t hear to much about it anymore

redwood
    Pro

You know I’ve thought about EGO shutting down their Community forum. That was one of the best resources for info on their products, including problems. The only reason I can think of is that folks brought their problems there for all the public to see and EGO didn’t like it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

You know I’ve thought about EGO shutting down their Community forum. That was one of the best resources for info on their products, including problems. The only reason I can think of is that folks brought their problems there for all the public to see and EGO didn’t like it.

😯 Geeze , I was just looking at the workshop addict youtube video again , plus I saw your comments between you and them ,
    That’s a real bummer ,
    I’ll have to check out the Ego community room also.
    Just when I thought it was a decent product ,
    I wonder if Eric @montreal_woodworks has had any issues with his 🤷‍♂️

Not to change subject Mark , but since you mentioned it , I’ve been doing research on a few other battery power supply stations , one that I found interesting is the bluetti , I was just looking at the ac200 model , it’s slightly more than the Ego with four 7.5 amp batteries here , I don’t know , lots of things to consider , it’s a fairly big amount of money

I just was in Reno Depot , and I said a few Ego products , I talked to an employee and he said they will be selling them now and have more in the next few weeks wohoooo

I am about to pull the trigger on this 2 stage blower , just looking for the best deal , it’s 1797.99 at the Ego service center that I could and have sent my Ego products I’ve bought online , he said he can give me 2 percent if I pay by debit , I’m okay with that , but I could also buy it from Reno Depot in the next few weeks , and pay 1799.00 but get plenty of air miles points 🤷‍♂️ not sure what options to choose , I was hoping to get a promotion deal or something ,

Anyone have an opinion

redwood
    Pro

Is that with or without batteries?

I’m not sure about the availability of the two stage, here in the US. Lowes doesn’t even have it on their website and Amazon says that it usually ships in 3-5 weeks, which means they have no idea. Ace and Acme are two other US dealers that don’t have them in stock.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

redwood
    Pro

On another EGO issue. I haven’t really tried out my Nexus, other then I did plug in the coffee maker and it did work.

Anyways, I have not been able to connect my Iphone or Samsung tablet to the Nexxus. To this point, customer service has been a failure. On the plus side, three times I’ve reached a person within 5 min. The bad is that they waste my time and theirs by going over the same things each time, including warranty stuff, when it was all previously registered on line. Anyways, none of those 3 really had a clue and said they were escalating the issue upstairs. Unfortunately, each time they tried to transfer me, I was disconnected after waiting a few min. each time. Still no resolution, and for me their hours are lousy. They shut down at 2:00, my time and they mean it. Once after being cut off, I tried calling back at 2:02 and they were shutdown. You can’t leave a message or call back #.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

That is frustrating. It’s nice they take our money, but when it comes to support and they fail like that, myself, my allegiances run short.

Is that with or without batteries?

I’m not sure about the availability of the two stage, here in the US. Lowes doesn’t even have it on their website and Amazon says that it usually ships in 3-5 weeks, which means they have no idea. Ace and Acme are two other US dealers that don’t have them in stock.

That’s with two 7.5 amp batteries

On another EGO issue. I haven’t really tried out my Nexus, other then I did plug in the coffee maker and it did work.

Anyways, I have not been able to connect my Iphone or Samsung tablet to the Nexxus. To this point, customer service has been a failure. On the plus side, three times I’ve reached a person within 5 min. The bad is that they waste my time and theirs by going over the same things each time, including warranty stuff, when it was all previously registered on line. Anyways, none of those 3 really had a clue and said they were escalating the issue upstairs. Unfortunately, each time they tried to transfer me, I was disconnected after waiting a few min. each time. Still no resolution, and for me their hours are lousy. They shut down at 2:00, my time and they mean it. Once after being cut off, I tried calling back at 2:02 and they were shutdown. You can’t leave a message or call back #.

So you decided to keep the power station , it’s still something I’m looking into , I heard people have had a hard time connecting with devices , strange I read somewhere that it needs to be on wifi network to be able to connect , I’m really not sure about all this ,
    I would like to have it for short periods of power failure’s , say like a few hours or even a day ,

That definitely sucks about the customer service , but I have to say , I’ve read this on numerous reviews about Ego , I just can’t understand why they would be like that.

redwood
    Pro

I have 30 days to return the Nexxus to Amazon. If I don’t get a fix for the wifi/bluetooth issue, I’ll send it back, but probably for another one.

This morning was finally cool enough to try the Nexxus with my pellet stove. I’m happy with the results, so far. With 2 – 5.0AH & 2 – 2.5 AH batteries, the Nexxus say’s it will run for 6+ hours. When I swapped one of the 2.5AH for a 7.5AH, it says I will get 9 hours. Since it’s not a replacement for my gas generator, only to give my lazy ass time to wake up and have some coffee before I hook up the gas generator, that is more then enough.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

I have 30 days to return the Nexxus to Amazon. If I don’t get a fix for the wifi/bluetooth issue, I’ll send it back, but probably for another one.

This morning was finally cool enough to try the Nexxus with my pellet stove. I’m happy with the results, so far. With 2 – 5.0AH & 2 – 2.5 AH batteries, the Nexxus say’s it will run for 6+ hours. When I swapped one of the 2.5AH for a 7.5AH, it says I will get 9 hours. Since it’s not a replacement for my gas generator, only to give my lazy ass time to wake up and have some coffee before I hook up the gas generator, that is more then enough.

LMAO , well that’s good enough for me , looks like I’ll be chopping for a unit before Christmas ,🤣
    I don’t need it for heavy use either , but to be able to make coffee and use a few other things , will be fine for me. Thanks Mark

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 253 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.810 seconds