dcsimg

Easy slide L-boxx drawers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The drawer on my 3D is loaded with 18v drill and impact driver, plus some other bits, and it doesn’t slide that well on the rails. I thought I’d try some silicone grease on the sliding surface and holy crap they now slides better than ball bearing drawers. The drawers have stop to keep them coming out all the way, but i-boxxes don’t so you may want to skip lubing those just so they won’t fall out too easily.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Thanks, never even thought about doing this. Mine gets stuck some times. I will have to do this. What brand did you use.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thanks, never even thought about doing this. Mine gets stuck some times. I will have to do this. What brand did you use.

Superlube silicone lubricant, but I’d imagine any type would work including spray cans.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Funny this comes up now. My tin shed that has plastic runners on the doors for them to slide on the tin tracks was getting difficult and sticky, so I blasted them with some silicone spray and now they glide effortlessly. I just had some cheap stuff from the dollar store (Better than Silicone is the name). I use to use it on the neighbours car door seals to keep them from freezing closed in the winter, they always seemed to ice up then. As much as I am a proponent for avoiding silicone with wood working, there is a place for it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Great idea, I’m thinking this would work for a lot of other Plastic containers with drawers too.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

self closing drawers? lol
    thanks for sharing that @jzmtl
    Does the lubricant attracts/catches dust? Just asking before I try it out, because I live in a sandbox and the fine sand dust just gets everywhere.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

self closing drawers? lol
    thanks for sharing that @jzmtl
    Does the lubricant attracts/catches dust? Just asking before I try it out, because I live in a sandbox and the fine sand dust just gets everywhere.

I’d imagine if you let it slide a few times then wipe off any extra, it won’t be any worse than without. Worst come just pull out the drawers, wipe it clean and reapply grease.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I thought I’d try some silicone grease on the sliding surface and holy crap they now slides better than ball bearing drawers.

Great idea for the overloaded drawers. Not that anybody would overload one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Pretty cool idea, do you think it can damage the plastics in the long term.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Petroleum based lubes will break down plastics in time.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Use silicone based lubricant only, they are generally plastic safe.

Great idea, I’m thinking this would work for a lot of other Plastic containers with drawers too.

My Concern is if I touch the track and get lubricant on my hands it spreads on to other surfaces that must not get it on like finish walls and trim .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.745 seconds