dcsimg

Early adopter or late adopter.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

When new tools, technologies, materials, or methods are developed are you the first on the bandwagon or do you keep the old ways until the last possible moment?

Me personally I tend to be in the second wave of adopters and sometimes on the cutting edge. I usually don’t keep up with new things close enough to be a first adopter.

Where do you fall on the spectrum?

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Extremely late adopter. I wait until the technology has matured and all the bugs have been worked out.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I am an inventor at heart. If I like the concept, I will give it a whirl if the price is reasonable. Sure there ,many flops and few successes, but I just can’t help myself.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say I am an early adopter, if it looks good and looks like it will speed things up or make things easier I will typically give it a try.

Really interesting thread @jdw1865. I probably fall somewhere in the middle since you can save a little bit by waiting a lot of the time.

John S

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I am an early adopter of most things. I am always willing to try a new product to see if it can help me do my job better.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Depends. Depeends on how comfortable I am with the job, if it is all new materials or just an adapted way of doing something, source it comes from.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I like to be an early adopter also but depends on what it is and the amount of extra cash I can spend to jump on that train.

A Working Pro since 2004

It depends on the product and its use . If I’m showed what is wrong and new product works better I will adopt right away .

Always willing to learn .

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I like to see a little track record of success before I’ll adopt a new practice or material..

--Steve

I’m usually an early adopter, for tools, electronics, and sometimes materials. If I’m trying something new on a customers project I’ll research it as much as possible.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

I like to wait until I hear if there are any problems and then purchase.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Me personally I tend to be in the second wave of adopters and sometimes on the cutting edge. I usually don’t keep up with new things close enough to be a first adopter.

I pretty much fall into this category. I follow new developments and usually let them get into the wild a bit before I go out and purchase. It’s still new but they may have worked a few early kinks.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Plus, I live in the sticks, so the latest and greatest is usually hard to find..

--Steve

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I pretty much fall into this category. I follow new developments and usually let them get into the wild a bit before I go out and purchase. It’s still new but they may have worked a few early kinks.

I’m in this range as well. Brand new tools are certainly intriguing but there isn’t always a lot of information available. There won’t be any reviews to speak of and thise who do rush out and get the “new thing” are essentially everyone elses guinea pig.

I hate wasting money on a bad tool, so these reviews are important to me.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I would be a late, early adapter. Not quite the first to adapt. I want a few people ahead of me to test he waters at least a little.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I think I’m an early adopter too. I see something that can help me in my little shop and if it is in my price point I am more likely to pounce on it IF it is from an established manufacturer. Most of our companies that we all prefer or have experience with have great R&D and when they field a new unit most of the time to me, it’s worth it.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im a late adopter I have quite a bit of tools for everything so if Im going to invest in something I already have its got to be because I have read some of your remarks and feel it will be an improvment to the way I do things.

Technology….forget it…I never bother

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I like to see a little track record of success before I’ll adopt a new practice or material..

I am the same way , I like to wait for a while to see how everyone else likes it first .

staker
    Pro

I usually wait till to see if the product holds up to the specs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.660 seconds