dcsimg

dust extractor vs cyclone

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

A portable 1hp dust collector would be an option

I also use a dust deputy with a larger Ridgid vac. It does well, but is not a dust collector

I agree that the cyclone makes the vac less effective initially, but since the filter stays clean, it stays at that power level longer. Its a fair tradeoff IMO. I like my DD

better than nothing, not as good as a shop dust collection system

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think a lot of it depends on your site conditions. If you are working in a lot of finished areas, a Dust extractor may be required or even something greater like an air cleaner such as the Build Clean. If you are in unfinished areas something less may be necessary. Whenever possible, we cut outside if we are in a finished area, in the new homes we do, we are able to maintain a significant amount of the dust with a saw hood. About the only time we use Dust extractors is for grinding or cuting drywall in finished areas or cleanup. whether it is a shop vac direct to a miter saw, through a cyclone or a dust extractor, all are fairly inefficient in collecting the dust that comes off of the machines. Connected to the dust port of a sander, smaller saw grinder or plane is another story.

What is the expectation of the customers you are working with on your projects

Doobie

The cyclone is just a separator,it doesn’t increase efficiency or sucking power. It just saves you from emptying the extractor and replacing bags in the festool

And I don’t care about using bags. I prefer it. So much simpler.

Don’t want an awkward stupid looking space consuming cyclone to drag around also. More work.

well a cyclone does not improve the performance or CFM of the shop vac.
    Its clearly only for debris separation and saving bags.

Correct. Actually a separator will hurt the CFM’s by as much as 30%.

Didn’t realize it was that much. Another good reason.

I just never understood the allure of these add on cyclone things. Not worth the negatives.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

well a cyclone is just a personal preference like anything else out there, right?!
    I do like the fact on saving bags. It already paid off.
    When I rip 2x4s in half and even sometimes cut the beveled edges off for certain projects, the shop vac and cyclone does a great job with collecting debris. a 5gal bucket fills up quick.

I use my cyclone and shop vac on every tool in my shop and I just love the fact that I just take the bucket and empty it out in the trash or even sometimes in the compost (depends on the content 😀 )

You are probably right Ron with the loss of CFM but it doesnt hurt too much.

I am still looking forward to get the bosch dust extractor to make up the loss of CFM due to the cyclone 😛
    But thats not the main point why haha. I still want a quieter and more efficient unit in the shop.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

I’m talking for a job site not a shop btw

What are you using now?

nothing at this point but i have a ridge shop vac

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The cyclone is just a separator,it doesn’t increase efficiency or sucking power. It just saves you from emptying the extractor and replacing bags in the festool

And I don’t care about using bags. I prefer it. So much simpler.

Don’t want an awkward stupid looking space consuming cyclone to drag around also. More work.

well a cyclone does not improve the performance or CFM of the shop vac.
    Its clearly only for debris separation and saving bags.

Correct. Actually a separator will hurt the CFM’s by as much as 30%.

Didn’t realize it was that much. Another good reason.

I just never understood the allure of these add on cyclone things. Not worth the negatives.

Here is my take on the cyclone. I prefer it, yes it is slightly a pain to move it around as it means you have to move two things around at a time. However for the festool the cyclone comes in a systainer that sits ontop of the extractor so it moves as one unit.
    like so.
    https://stusshed.com/tag/dust-deputy/

The loss of suction, unfortunately i don’t have a vacuum measuring device but the power still seems powerful enough to use and does well, in fact i just used it on my ridgid planer and it cleaned right up. It was powerful enough to empty the planer as its going.

Doobie

The loss of suction, unfortunately i don’t have a vacuum measuring device but the power still seems powerful enough to use and does well,

For most things, the reduced suction would likely not be an issue. But for when using my extractor with my Kapex, I know it would negate its dust collection efficiency too much having a cyclone/Oneida thing involved in the mix.

The Kapex tends to need the highest suction setting and also the larger hose than the standard 27mm one that comes with most of the Festool vacs. Many have even cut their larger hoses shorter to increase its collection efficiency with the Kapex. I haven’t done that yet myself, but one day I may. It’s pretty good, but I know it can be that much better in doing so based on many comments I’ve read in this regard.

woodman_412

I still have my Dust Deputy cyclone set up with my old shop vac and use it when I need two portable extractors or when I don’t want to suck up something with my Bosch extractor like drywall dust. I find that with the reusable fleece bag in my Bosch extractor there isn’t really that much need to use the cyclone since I can empty out the bag almost as easily as I can the bucket under the DD. I find that using the fleece bags in the extractor eliminates the problem of dirty filters and loss of suction too which is why I bought the DD for the shop vac a few years ago.

Dan

danpattison.com

Having owned a full DC, with and without cyclone, shop vacs, with and without cyclones, and a dust extractor, my opinion is buy a dust extractor if you can afford it.

Will

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I use my cyclone more for the extra capacity I get when planing lumber or performing operations that create a lot of shavings. I have it set up on a 15 Gallon garbage can so with a 15 gallon shop vac, I can create 30 gallons of shavings without emptying if I want. Usually I empty the can when it is close to full. I find that i have to replace or clean the filter of the shop vac a lot less often.

Doobie

Having owned a full DC, with and without cyclone, shop vacs, with and without cyclones, and a dust extractor, my opinion is buy a dust extractor if you can afford it.

Bingo!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wanna put something like that on my vac090 in lboxx with cyclone on top but is there any smaller pieces that that I don’t wanna carry around nuclear reactor kind of looking thing I wanna fit it in the lboxx somehow will Def save on bags I’m almost out of the paper bags and have 8 wet bags left so bags goes quick still have 2 new filter though

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The loss of suction, unfortunately i don’t have a vacuum measuring device but the power still seems powerful enough to use and does well,

For most things, the reduced suction would likely not be an issue. But for when using my extractor with my Kapex, I know it would negate its dust collection efficiency too much having a cyclone/Oneida thing involved in the mix.

The Kapex tends to need the highest suction setting and also the larger hose than the standard 27mm one that comes with most of the Festool vacs. Many have even cut their larger hoses shorter to increase its collection efficiency with the Kapex. I haven’t done that yet myself, but one day I may. It’s pretty good, but I know it can be that much better in doing so based on many comments I’ve read in this regard.

lol there is only one way to find out, next time you run your kapex, im bringing the bosch 9 gal vac over.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m talking for a job site not a shop btw

What are you using now?

nothing at this point but i have a ridge shop vac

If you are doing inside sanding in living quarters on work you’ve installed you really need a dust extractor. The fine blow by that comes out of the Ridgid can still make the place a mess. I like the small square units to fit well in my van.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

If you are doing inside sanding in living quarters on work you’ve installed you really need a dust extractor.

Vacs and DCs although they seem the same in principle are really two different tools. One is designed to pick up dust they other is designed to remove dust from the air.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Doobie

lol there is only one way to find out, next time you run your kapex, im bringing the bosch 9 gal vac over.

With its smaller dia hose, I don’t think its higher suction rating would fare any better.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I thought that the bosch hose was a bigger diameter. IIRC 35mm

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.447 seconds