dcsimg

dust extractor vs cyclone

This topic contains 36 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Austin 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

would a cyclone on a bucket with a shop vac work just as well as an expense dust extractor?

I want to start doing more dust control but dont what to speed $600+ on a dust extractor

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

would a cyclone on a bucket with a shop vac work just as well as an expense dust extractor?

I want to start doing more dust control but dont what to speed $600+ on a dust extractor

The short answer is no a cyclone on a shop vac will not preform as well. But is still going to be better than not having anything.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

A shop Vac and a dust collector have very different flow rates and air speeds. I use a Dust Deputy that set up over a garbage can for more capacity than a five gallon bucket. It does a good job on the equipment I use it on but it does have it’s limitations. In the long run, it comes down to budget and what equipment you are using.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

I’m talking for a job site not a shop btw

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If you are looking at the jobsite, unless it is a big job or a long term one, I would stick with a vac setup for portability. you are probably only looking at a miter box and table saw in addition to hand tools. A dust collection system would be overkill I would think. A Good vac and filter , coupled with a cyclone do a good job containing dust. The better the vac you use, the more dust you will contain, but there are diminishing returns.

vos
    Pro
    oswego, NY

I’m trying to compare a shop vac and cyclone to a festool stile vac

It also depends on the tools you are using. If you are using sanders or routers with dust collection connections, the dust extractor will eat all that fine dust well. Connecting to a miter saw or jobsite saw, the cyclone and a good shop vac will handle things better with a larger diameter hose.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

There is a thread on here asking if the Bosch dust extractor is worth the price and it has some good points but if you are going to make your own set up it still won’t be cheap. A ridgid vac would be between 60-100 bucks depending on wich one you get. A dust deputy is 50 bucks a HEPA filter is another 25 bucks plus you need an extra hose for the dust deputy that’s 15. Also if you want to make the unit mobile and make a cart to put it all on there is 30-60 bucks in casters if you get wood to make the base for free. Also if you want a tool activation switch thays at least 40. So yes for one third to half the price you can have a dust extraction set up and it will work. There will be compromises of course. It will be louder more bulky and not extract the dust as good but it will work. I have seen plenty of those set ups and most that I have seen eventually get put aside for a festool or something.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m trying to compare a shop vac and cyclone to a festool stile vac

No comparison at all. The legit extractor will pull a ton more air than any shop vac out there. I run both systems, and unless I’m using the planer, I go with my Bosch dust extractor. The seperator definitely helps to save bags, but when paired with a lower suction shop vac, it savings aren’t worth it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Start with a good shop vac, get the 1-1/2 contractor grade hose, run a vac switch, and use bags AND a good filter. It will increase the efficiency of the shop vac big time!! I used that setup for years before pulling the trigger on a Festool vac. I still use it on our table saw when running a bigger job with multiple vacs onsite,

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

the dust collector will pull more air than the dust extractor. I have both and use both, however i am definitely not lugging my oneida mini gorilla out of my shop. I’ll bring the bosch extractor and plug it in to the tool to collect dust.

Doobie
    Pro

No! And if you haven’t tried one yet, once you do, you’ll never want to go back.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

the dust collector will pull more air than the dust extractor. I have both and use both, however i am definitely not lugging my oneida mini gorilla out of my shop. I’ll bring the bosch extractor and plug it in to the tool to collect dust.

If you are looking at the jobsite, unless it is a big job or a long term one, I would stick with a vac setup for portability. you are probably only looking at a miter box and table saw in addition to hand tools. A dust collection system would be overkill I would think. A Good vac and filter , coupled with a cyclone do a good job containing dust. The better the vac you use, the more dust you will contain, but there are diminishing returns.

Guys….

We aren’t talking about a dust collector here. It’s extractor vs shop vac/separator.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

well a cyclone does not improve the performance or CFM of the shop vac.
    Its clearly only for debris separation and saving bags.

a dust extractor has more suction/ higher cfm and works more efficient than a shop vac.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

A high end dust extractor like the Bosch vacs have very high powered motors compared to most Shopvacs. Even the most high end commercial grade Shopvacs with comparable airflow have lower water lift specs when you compare them at the motor.

Regardless if you stick a small cyclone ahead of either a high end dust extractor or a shopvac, you’re reducing the amount of large particulate that ends up hitting the filter media (Bag and actual filter if you run both). That means you just end up emptying a bucket more often and what’s left is usually the very fine stuff that your filter media in the vacuum will catch.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m talking for a job site not a shop btw

What are you using now?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Guys….

We aren’t talking about a dust collector here. It’s extractor vs shop vac/separator.

In that case, the shop vac plus cyclone action is better than nothing but a bosch or festool extractor with cyclone is even better. The cyclone is just a separator,it doesn’t increase efficiency or sucking power. It just saves you from emptying the extractor and replacing bags in the festool. It also saves your filter giving it a longer life before plugging up if used on a rigid shop vac.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Correct. Actually a separator will hurt the CFM’s by as much as 30%.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

a dust extractor has more suction/ higher cfm and works more efficient than a shop vac.

A DC has a higher cfm than a vac to move more air.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.498 seconds