dcsimg

Dust collector

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 289 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yesterday we were looking at an upgrade for the dust collector in our shop.. right now we have a 1 hp 550 cfm collector that connects to a shroud that hangs over the table saw blade… problem is it only grabs about 30% of the dust….

were looking at upgrading to a 900 cfm unit but we also need to create a downdraft.. issue being that the unisaw we have in the shop is 30 some odd years old and the motor is wide open.. hard to get a downdraft on that…

so I guess you could check out oneida as they have a few that blows the 900 cfm out of the water
    http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={7F6C8978-92E8-4902-9A37-D8A254EDF4FC}
    this one can do up to 2700 cfm. lol can probably suck paint off a wall

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

yesterday we were looking at an upgrade for the dust collector in our shop.. right now we have a 1 hp 550 cfm collector that connects to a shroud that hangs over the table saw blade… problem is it only grabs about 30% of the dust….

were looking at upgrading to a 900 cfm unit but we also need to create a downdraft.. issue being that the unisaw we have in the shop is 30 some odd years old and the motor is wide open.. hard to get a downdraft on that…

When I got my unisaw, the motor was wide open as well. Just a week or so ago, I made up a motor cover with 1/2″ ply and hardboard. Dust collection has improved tremendously since then.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

When I got my unisaw, the motor was wide open as well. Just a week or so ago, I made up a motor cover with 1/2″ ply and hardboard. Dust collection has improved tremendously since then.

Peter,
    I had to take a real good look at that. It looks like it was made along with your uni and blends right in. Nice job.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

redwood
    Pro

I have a 1HP dust collector but something I did to boost the performance is put a canister filter on top and a fleece bag filter on the bottom so it increases the filter area thus increasing the air flow. The key to being able to do that though is having a cyclone separator attached first. I have the Super Dust Deputy on mine and it works great.

I thought that I read a pre separator decreases the performance a bit, but on the plus side decreases filter changes.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

I have a 1HP dust collector but something I did to boost the performance is put a canister filter on top and a fleece bag filter on the bottom so it increases the filter area thus increasing the air flow. The key to being able to do that though is having a cyclone separator attached first. I have the Super Dust Deputy on mine and it works great.

I thought that I read a pre separator decreases the performance a bit, but on the plus side decreases filter changes.

I did what Dan has, but without a seperator. Still works excellent. The canister was a big leap in efficiency
    and air flow. I read they increase the surface area of the upper cannister five fold versus straight bag instead.

I didn’t upgrade from a bag to an upper cannister because I was having a problem with suction, but I did notice a significant increase and overall ease of functionality when I did.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I have the Harbor Freight 2HP (green) machine, and modified it with a Thien Baffle (homemade separator using a trash can and a plywood top) and a Wynn filter. I love mine. Here was the project that inspired mine on lumberjocks: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/29578

Mine looks basically the same as this one. I also have the Jet passive Air Filtration System. I have invested a lot of time and a little bit of money in my dust collection because of scary articles about breathing sawdust.

woodman_412

Yeah I think a cyclone takes a small amount of suction power away Mark but keeping the filters clean and thus the suction up over time is well worth it.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I thought that I read a pre separator decreases the performance

I thought that I read a pre separator decreases the performanceYeah I think a cyclone takes a small amount of suction power away Mark but keeping the filters clean and thus the suction up over time is well worth it.

I believe the most important factor in DC is cfm and not the vacuum power. You want a lot of air exchange. Anything you can do to improve airflow across the filters will result in more dust being removed. Brad did a lot of research on this when he set up his DC in his old shop.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yeah I think a cyclone takes a small amount of suction power away Mark but keeping the filters clean and thus the suction up over time is well worth it.

the crazy thing is, if you haven’t ever used a cyclone you don’t know how much better it works and how you really do need one. I was skeptical when i first looked into cyclones, I was thinking this is bs and how could it really help. I was changing out the filters to my ridgid often enough that i bought several filters so i can wash and clean them while I use it. As soon as I bought the dust deputy i ended up not using any of the extra filters i had for months.

yellaD
    Pro

Same here with the DD cyclone, I had no idea what or how useful it is…until I got one and hooked it up. I like it so much I’d think about getting the one specially made for Festool vac. so that’s saying a lot, considering the price.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Same here with the DD cyclone, I had no idea what or how useful it is…until I got one and hooked it up. I like it so much I’d think about getting the one specially made for Festool vac. so that’s saying a lot, considering the price.

it is the same thing just in a different form factor, it allows you to clip it to the vac. it also adds a piece of wire to ground for static.

I fully agree with @r-ice the Dust Deputy is the way to go. I have been extremely impressed with its performance.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

we got the new setup yesterday and my boss hooked it up. its a arm system on rollers that extends overtop of the saw.. he as both a hose to the new blade shroud as well as a pipe to inside the saw base. he ran a few pcs of mdf through the saw and noticed next to no dust compared to the old system which you could see the dust flying off the blade

next time im in the shop ill snap some pics of it

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have the Harbor Freight 2HP (green) machine, and modified it with a Thien Baffle (homemade separator using a trash can and a plywood top) and a Wynn filter. I love mine. Here was the project that inspired mine on lumberjocks: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/29578

Mine looks basically the same as this one. I also have the Jet passive Air Filtration System. I have invested a lot of time and a little bit of money in my dust collection because of scary articles about breathing sawdust.

Mine is very similar to yours except I’m using a 1 HP DC. I like the idea of the can mounted under the DC. I should check out the possibility of doing the same thing to mine.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

redwood
    Pro

I think I need more help with my dust collection.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Attachments:

Let it overfill?

redwood
    Pro

Let it overfill?

No, I don’t have a dust port or any collection device on the planer.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Ah! Looks like my old Ryobi planer…which makes me Really glad I have the DW735 now! I wasn’t aware that the 734 didn’t have a dust port. The 735 has a blower that launches the chips a good 10 feet! I’d be a bag would be sufficient, but a vac hose on the machine makes it incredibly clean for a planer.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

She filling up too fast there Mark? Planers fill them up pretty fast.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

She filling up too fast there Mark? Planers fill them up pretty fast.

thats impossible lol, if my vac90s can keep up any half decent dust collector can do that. I know for my ridgid there is the port right on the cutter head itself. Any way to retrofit a dust port?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 289 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.799 seconds