dcsimg

Dust collector

This topic contains 268 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 269 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

My General has little teeth to hold the bag up until you get the ring on it. Works GREAT. It’s just a PITA dumping the bag. I vaccuum two pails (with the dust deputy) out of the filter AFTER I beat it and used the flapper spinner thingy on the pleats. (isn’t that technical) It holds a LOT of dust. So glad I am not using a filter bag.

I vacuum the pleats out with a brush attachment on my hose into my Festool vac. Way easier than trying to get them out manually.

I’ve tried blowing them out outside with an air compressor once. Never again. You get covered in it. You also risk blowing a hole into the pleats.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Here’s the little teeth, it would be impossible to hold the bag and get the clamp on with out them. Even a sheet screw from the inside out would help.

IMG_3334 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

I really like that mines on wheels as well. I think if you can find that adapter you will like it a lot. I’m using the DC and the vac on the table saw and plan to do the same at the miter saw. High vacuum on the blade and big CFMs on the back side and underneath.

All cleaned up and back together

IMG_3336 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Have you looked into the Harbor Freight 2HP unit? It’s basically the only motorized tool that I’d ever consider buying from HF, but you can’t beat the price (esp with the ubiquitous 20% or 25% off coupon), and the unit holds up well, is easy to modify, and is powerful enough for any machine you’d reasonably have in a home shop, or runs of multiple tools. I severely modified mine, but with a Thein Baffle and a Wynn filter, it rivals the best on the market with ease. Between that unit and my Jet Air Filtration System, I feel like I’ve got my bases covered on the DC front.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

My General has little teeth to hold the bag up until you get the ring on it. Works GREAT. It’s just a PITA dumping the bag. I vaccuum two pails (with the dust deputy) out of the filter AFTER I beat it and used the flapper spinner thingy on the pleats. (isn’t that technical) It holds a LOT of dust. So glad I am not using a filter bag.

I vacuum the pleats out with a brush attachment on my hose into my Festool vac. Way easier than trying to get them out manually.

I’ve tried blowing them out outside with an air compressor once. Never again. You get covered in it. You also risk blowing a hole into the pleats.

I use the air compressor to clean the pleats and yeah you have to create a snowstorm outside, it is quite the show when i do it.

redwood
    Pro

Ok, today I got to use the dust collector a little more today, cutting up pieces for my outside chair parts. It did great on the table saw. You could hardly tell I used it.

The bandsaw didn’t do as well. Now I don’t know how much sawdust is generated with each pass, but it did leave some on the table. I ripped 12 pieces 21″ long x 3-4″ tall.

The Glide saw with the midi attached to it, easily was the worst at dust collection. I’ll have to look into the mods for that saw.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie
    Pro

The Glide saw with the midi attached to it, easily was the worst at dust collection. I’ll have to look into the mods for that saw.

Starting to miss the Kapex in that regard?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Starting to miss the Kapex in that regard?

you have to extend the dust chute or mount the kapex chute on your glide.
    will be much better 😛

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

redwood
    Pro

will be much better

Which begs the question, why didn’t Bosch do that. If it was that simple and the cost was negligible, why not.

I do want to say with the Kapex, there were times the chute got in the way. The chute eventually developed a tear and I’m pretty sure I either lost it or tossed it. At the time most of my work was outside and it wasn’t a big deal.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie
    Pro

The bandsaw didn’t do as well. Now I don’t know how much sawdust is generated with each pass, but it did leave some on the table. I ripped 12 pieces 21″ long x 3-4″ tall.

How was it inside the bottom wheel housing? The DC port there working well by design?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

probably need some overarm type of attachment to get more dust at the cut point. when i did have my bandsaw it was a huge dust maker, at that point i didn’t have a dust collector.

yellaD
    Pro

IMO it doesn’t look too bad. I personally have never used a bs that had perfect dust control. Then again I’ve never been in any “dream” shops.

redwood
    Pro

How was it inside the bottom wheel housing? The DC port there working well by design?

There was a good size pinch of dust on the bottom of the door. It probably would help if there was some kind of seal on the door to the wheel housing.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

There was a good size pinch of dust on the bottom of the door. It probably would help if there was some kind of seal on the door to the wheel housing.

I think a seal on the door would help, but there is usually a lot of open space below the table, too.
    IMO a lot of CFM and cross your fingers will be the best approach. The 4″ dust port on the lower wheel housing seems to me to be the best location for dust collection.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

redwood
    Pro

I think a seal on the door would help, but there is usually a lot of open space below the table, too.
    IMO a lot of CFM and cross your fingers will be the best approach. The 4″ dust port on the lower wheel housing seems to me to be the best location for dust collection.

I’m thinking a seal on the door would draw more sawdust through the blade opening. As it stands, there is little vacuum pressure up at the top since there is so much leakage at the door.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie
    Pro

Mine only has a dust port below the table and tons of dust build up in the lower wheel housing. One of those things I’ve been meaning to alter, but never have in addig a port of sorts in that lower wheel housing like Mark has built into his.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

madman_us wrote:

will be much better

Which begs the question, why didn’t Bosch do that. If it was that simple and the cost was negligible, why not.

I really think that Festool puts a lot more thought in dust collection than any other company.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

madman_us wrote:

will be much better

I really think that Festool puts a lot more thought in dust collection than any other company.

No argument there. But Bosch is no slump either imo.

I’m thinking a seal on the door would draw more sawdust through the blade opening. As it stands, there is little vacuum pressure up at the top since there is so much leakage at the door.

Sealing the door should help create more suction at the opening at the top. Some adhesive backed weatherstripping type sealing material should work well and you can still open the door easily for servicing the blade. Trying it first with masking tape to see if it has an effect could be a good idea too.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

yesterday we were looking at an upgrade for the dust collector in our shop.. right now we have a 1 hp 550 cfm collector that connects to a shroud that hangs over the table saw blade… problem is it only grabs about 30% of the dust….

were looking at upgrading to a 900 cfm unit but we also need to create a downdraft.. issue being that the unisaw we have in the shop is 30 some odd years old and the motor is wide open.. hard to get a downdraft on that…

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I have a 1HP dust collector but something I did to boost the performance is put a canister filter on top and a fleece bag filter on the bottom so it increases the filter area thus increasing the air flow. The key to being able to do that though is having a cyclone separator attached first. I have the Super Dust Deputy on mine and it works great.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 269 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.701 seconds