dcsimg

Dust collector

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 289 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I am telling you a canister filter with a cyclone is the way to go. If i had a bit more money back when i bought mine I would’ve went with the oneida dust gorilla. That is the one to go for.

redwood
    Pro

Well, the last 2 posts are back to the age old issue, if I had the money. I would love to have some of these systems, but like a better bandsaw, I’m not sure I am in the position right now to spend $1000 on dust collection. Maybe, and it’s a big maybe, I’m able to generate some income from something, then maybe I can look farther at a better system.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-FOX-W1727-Dust-Collector/dp/B001R23T44/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1453064951&sr=1-2&keywords=dust+extractor&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_89%3AShop+Fox

What about one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU0FZPA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001R23SS6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RZEJ5851H7BTC5F7KY9

I have it and it works well. Same motor as the upright, but I mounted it to a french cleat so it is out of the way when I don’t want it around, and I hang it near the tool I need to keep the runs short.

I also can bring it with me when I need to – ultra portable. Same filter – same motor

Can always get a trash can separator if you want to pull chips out of the airstream for easier cleanup

A pic of it stowed away for context

yellaD
    Pro

For my shop and usage, a Oneida Gorilla is way overkill. The SHopFox Dan showed is much more reasonable. Having it mobile is the best! Can any other shop DC unit be moved like that? I doubt it.

For my shop and usage, a Oneida Gorilla is way overkill. The SHopFox Dan showed is much more reasonable. Having it mobile is the best! Can any other shop DC unit be moved like that? I doubt it.

A little 1HP isn’t the best, but it does a good job inexpensively, and you can move it from tool to tool rather than trying to such through multiple long runs, wyes, and blast gates. I keep mine on either a 10 or 20 foot hose (or both through a trashcan separator) and attach to one tool at a time.

Also hook my DW735 planer to it, and don’t even always bother turning it on – the bag becomes my chip collector propelled by the fan in the planer – catches the mess

redwood
    Pro

Ok, here is my ShopFox dust control unit assembled. I had a pretty big scare when I first turned it on. The blades must have been hitting metal somewhere. It sounded bad. I took off the cover and spun the blade by hand and nothing was hitting. Plugged it back in and turned it back on and it was fine. It felt to have good suction.

Bags are a bit of a pain. I taped the bottom one up and that helped a lot.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Ok, here is my ShopFox dust control unit assembled. I had a pretty big scare when I first turned it on. The blades must have been hitting metal somewhere. It sounded bad. I took off the cover and spun the blade by hand and nothing was hitting. Plugged it back in and turned it back on and it was fine. It felt to have good suction.

I like that it’s on wheels. Will make it nice going from machine to machine and not having to run all the duct work.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Looks nice Mark.

Could there have been something from the factory to keep the blades in place? maybe just a small tie wrap?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Also hook my DW735 planer to it, and don’t even always bother turning it on – the bag becomes my chip collector propelled by the fan in the planer – catches the mess

I’ve done that a couple of times by accident. It reduces the effectiveness of the Thien collector, I found, but that’s all.

1 HP should be enough to look after the needs of a one man shop IMO. Good choice, Mark.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

it depends on what you need it for. if it is just to make sure the chips go in a bag, then any old one will do but if you value your lungs then you want the best one possible.

I have found that the more dust collection I do the happier I am, I started and followed a similar path to Mark. Starting with a vacuum, getting bigger tools, then a DC unit (Delta in my case) adding a Thien baffle and now I am considering going to 6 inch spiral pipe. Mark I encourage you to post your experiences and to progress with dust collection, it is kind of like smoking, never too late to quit = never too late to quit breathing dust.

Will

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’ve had that same dust collector sitting in my Amazon cart @Redwood I am looking forward to hearing what you think of it. It seems like it would be easy enough to add a cyclone later on home made or otherwise. Not needing 220v power or the size and weight that goes along with it is a huge bonus for me. My new workshop shares space with our forced air HVAC system, so I want to try to keep as much of my dust in bags as I can instead of inside the furnace blowing through the whole house.

yellaD
    Pro

so I want to try to keep as much of my dust in bags as I can instead of inside the furnace blowing through the whole house.

Yikes! That sounds like a slippery slope!

redwood
    Pro

Could there have been something from the factory to keep the blades in place? maybe just a small tie wrap?

I don’t know, but it was definitely metal on metal. My first thought was holy shit this is loud. 2nd thought was dang it, I’m going to have to disassemble this unit and send it back. Thankfully, now it just purrs.

I purchased some flexible 4″ hose. Reviews on all the hose’s I found were mixed, including the one I got. Most of the problems were with wood chips making holes in the hose and I’m sure that is not a good thing.

Hopefully today I will get a chance to hook it up to a actual tool and see how it does.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I don’t know, but it was definitely metal on metal. My first thought was holy shit this is loud. 2nd thought was dang it, I’m going to have to disassemble this unit and send it back. Thankfully, now it just purrs.

I purchased some flexible 4″ hose. Reviews on all the hose’s I found were mixed, including the one I got. Most of the problems were with wood chips making holes in the hose and I’m sure that is not a good thing.

Hopefully today I will get a chance to hook it up to a actual tool and see how it does.

Good to hear that it is purring and working as it should, and you not having to go through the hassle of returning it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

so I want to try to keep as much of my dust in bags as I can instead of inside the furnace blowing through the whole house.

Yikes! That sounds like a slippery slope!

Makes me glad I have hydronic heat. No ducts spreading dust

Could you not put a furnace filter or two over any ductwork openings in your shop/garage?

Doobie

That’s one of the reasons I abandoned my effort to change my cloth bottom bag to a plastic one. Couldn’t get a proper seal without dust seepage.

Putting any bottom bag on that type can be an exercise in frustratration as well. I use magnets to keep it in place as I try to get it on it’s rim and hold it in place as I place the clasp-on steel banded ring that holds it. You can use tape as well.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Putting any bottom bag on that type can be an exercise in frustratration as well. I use magnets to keep it in place as I try to get it on it’s rim and hold it in place as I place the clasp-on steel banded ring that holds it. You can use tape as well.

My General has little teeth to hold the bag up until you get the ring on it. Works GREAT. It’s just a PITA dumping the bag. I vaccuum two pails (with the dust deputy) out of the filter AFTER I beat it and used the flapper spinner thingy on the pleats. (isn’t that technical) It holds a LOT of dust. So glad I am not using a filter bag.

I did seal a leak this time too. I made sure and marked them so I new where to silicon up.

My next big investment in dust collection is the 220v ivac controls so that it comes on with the tool.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

redwood
    Pro

Well I did get to try my dust collector today on both the bandsaw and my table saw. It worked great as far as I can tell. Real test will be when I use the machines a lot. Today was just test cuts. I think that most of the sawdust I collected today was already in the table saw. That’s a good sign to.

I looked at my DeWalt Planer DW734 and I don’t see a dust port.

Well I just read the description.
    The DW734 planer includes a dust hood that attaches to a shop vacuum or standing dust collector (sold separately) for efficient collection of chips and debris.

Who the heck knows where that dust hood is?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I like the clear hose . If it clogs up you can see where it is at.
    Happy hood hunting!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 289 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.836 seconds