dcsimg

Dust collector

Viewing 9 posts - 281 through 289 (of 289 total)
  • Author

Very similar size to mine, Lon, what dust collector are you using it with?

I have a JDS 2HP cannister model similar to many others. I believe that they are out of business now. If I were to buy a new one, I would probably buy this: https://www.baileigh.com/cyclone-dust-extractor-dc-1450c. I find the dust window in the dustbin and being a simple disconnect on wheels very user friendly.

Doobie

I have a JDS 2HP cannister model similar to many others. I believe that they are out of business now.

I didn’t know they went under. I have their overhead air cleaner in my shop I bought over 15 years ago from a small woodworking retailer that has also since gone under. There were very few places here in Canada that imported anything JDS.

The only thing I wasn’t crazy about my JDS 750 air cleaner was the finicky controls on the remote. I just used the controls on the side of the unit itself which were within easy reach instead.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@smallerstick,
    “I need to find a way to lift the drum lid and SDD and hold them clear of the drum so I can slide it out for emptying. Any suggestions?”

I’m thinking a frame that fits around the barrel in sort of a ‘U’ shape (opening of the ‘U’ large enough to slide the drum out to empty. Some hooks or lips at a height the SDD could be lifted and slid back onto the holders to keep it in place while emptying the drum.
    Seems it could be easily make with 2×2 stock, but I would probably go with rebar to save space.

For that matter, even a couple shelf brackets with a piece of ply mounted with a cutout so the SDD sits on the barrel, but easy to just lift up and slide back onto the shelf.

Ohh I like that a lot. Simple but effective ”I’ve got some heavy brackets that would do just nicely and I think there is enough space for the lid to move back onto the shelf. Thank you.

I have been focusing on some sort of lifting rig but it always gets complicated.

Let me know how it works out, might have to invest in one of those SDD’s myself one of these days.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick,
    “I need to find a way to lift the drum lid and SDD and hold them clear of the drum so I can slide it out for emptying. Any suggestions?”

I’m thinking a frame that fits around the barrel in sort of a ‘U’ shape (opening of the ‘U’ large enough to slide the drum out to empty. Some hooks or lips at a height the SDD could be lifted and slid back onto the holders to keep it in place while emptying the drum.
    Seems it could be easily make with 2×2 stock, but I would probably go with rebar to save space.

For that matter, even a couple shelf brackets with a piece of ply mounted with a cutout so the SDD sits on the barrel, but easy to just lift up and slide back onto the shelf.

Ohh I like that a lot. Simple but effective ”I’ve got some heavy brackets that would do just nicely and I think there is enough space for the lid to move back onto the shelf. Thank you.

I have been focusing on some sort of lifting rig but it always gets complicated.

Let me know how it works out, might have to invest in one of those SDD’s myself one of these days.

I will, for sure, Stan. The shelf is next on the list after a dust pickup hack for my planer.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So, my old lunchbox planer doesn’t have a way to hook up to a dust collection system. I saw a hack like this on another forum and stole the idea. I cut a hole in the dust deflector to accommodate a 4″ HVAC pipe and fabricated an aluminum cover for the open bottom of the deflector. Pop rivets hold it all together.

BTW, I ran some birds eye maple through it just to check it out. Not a speck of shavings or dust was missed and there was not the smallest particle in the dust bag on the DC; it all was caught by the new cyclone. I am impressed!

Doobie

So, my old lunchbox planer doesn’t have a way to hook up to a dust collection system.

What model/unit is it? Just curious Peter. Mine came with a dust collection port. A no longer avaible Delta lunch box planner that had that and variable speed with anti snipe tech.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Final (maybe) adjustment, a shelf to hold the lid and cyclone to allow removal of the drum. Thank you, Stan @mtroads for suggesting a shelf, it seems to work well so far.

I put a ledger on the wall behind and attached an MDF shelf with a cutout. Simple. Lift the lid and slide it back onto the shelf. Remove drum.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Excellent implementation Peter. Just out of curiosity, is that unit ‘top heavy’ at all? Just wondering if there is any concern with it tipping over while sitting on the shelf – specially if the shelf gets bumped while moving the barrel in or out from under the shelf.

If so, a small clamp or two like the ones attached would be cheap and easy to add, just raise the lid/cyclone up, slide it back and lock it in place with the clamps so it doesn’t go anywhere.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Attachments:
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Excellent implementation Peter. Just out of curiosity, is that unit ‘top heavy’ at all? Just wondering if there is any concern with it tipping over while sitting on the shelf – specially if the shelf gets bumped while moving the barrel in or out from under the shelf.

If so, a small clamp or two like the ones attached would be cheap and easy to add, just raise the lid/cyclone up, slide it back and lock it in place with the clamps so it doesn’t go anywhere.

It’s not top heavy at all, I think the lid itself is the heaviest part of the system. The cyclone is only 5 or 6 pounds. When I first lifted it, I just moved it off to the side of the shelf a bit and it was good. Switched the drum bag and got back to work. I’m loving it!

I do like those clamps a lot; I may add them just for some extra security. I think I have a couple tucked away in the back of a drawer somewhere left over from a long abandoned jig. Thanks for that idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 281 through 289 (of 289 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.339 seconds