dcsimg

Dust collector

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 289 total)
  • Author

Is “schedule 40” PVC simply 4 inch PVC Eric? I’m not faniliar with that technical term.

And what about some pics? Pics are always nice. ☺

Will provide some 🙂

Schedule 40, 80, etc. Are all just (as far as I know) standards for wall thicknesses at each nominal size.

So Schedule 40 4-inch pipe will have a consistant wall thickness to go with that constant inside diameter. Schedule 80 is about 50% thicker. There are a few other schedule #s. As far as I know, Schedule 40 is the standard, neither flimsy nor heavy duty.

redwood
    Pro

Does 4″ PVC fit the standard 4″ dust collector fittings? I’m going to be setting up my hard pipe soon. It’s going to be fun avoiding all the shop lights and the garage door.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Does 4″ PVC fit the standard 4″ dust collector fittings? I’m going to be setting up my hard pipe soon. It’s going to be fun avoiding all the shop lights and the garage door.

Not even almost. A couple of splice pieces (inside rather than outside fitting) seem to fit but not all. And those add a slight restriction in that it is an interior fitting

I just went for Fernco style plumbing fittings that sit on the outside, because I didnt feel like figuring it out

All my bends are the standard plumbing fittings, and I run standard until the tool or some flex pipe, then fernco over to the “official” dust collection fittings

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I used the white 4″ PVC and found that, yes, the 4″ std DC fittings do fit…. sort of. The 4″ DC fittings fit snug into the ID of the 4″ PVC and adapters can be made easily to attach 4″ flex pipe to 4″ PVC.
    I cut about a 4 or 5″ length of PVC and cut a 13/16″ section out of it. 4″ flex will then fit over the adapter (pics attached)
    Blast gates and other DC fittings don’t need to be glued; friction fit is good.

As Eric mentioned, there is a slight reduction in size because of the DC fittings reducing the ID of the pipe. So far I haven’t seen this as being a large concern in my system.

DC system is a 1 1/2 HP Delta with a Thein separator.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING:

First drill press DC I have seen that actually works!

Doobie

I built a homemade contraption years ago, but for easy adjustability I ended up swapping it all out for this much simpler and nimble stiffish articulating hose I bought at LV.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=58751&cat=1,42401,62604,58751

I have it attached to a dedicated old shop vac sitting on the base plate of my DP that turns on via having wired it to what was the built in overhead light of the DP. Works like a charm.

Sorry for the current mess of my DP in the pics, but I think you can see how it works more or less.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

OLD THREAD WARNING:

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/uYdHxpNksLk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

yeah seems like it’s working out for him with the DC

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I built a homemade contraption years ago, but for easy adjustability I ended up swapping it all out for this much simpler and nimble stiffish articulating hose I bought at LV.

I have it attached to a dedicated old shop vac sitting on the base plate of my DP that turns on via having wired it to what was the built in overhead light of the DP. Works like a charm.

Sorry for the current mess of my DP in the pics, but I think you can see how it works more or less.

The point with the OP is the bell end on the pickup tube which creates enough velocity in the airflow to capture the larger, heavier chips that a drill press commonly throws out. Straight tubes or tubes which taper down are not able to capture these pieces.

Doobie

The point with the OP is the bell end on the pickup tube which creates enough velocity in the airflow to capture the larger, heavier chips that a drill press commonly throws out. Straight tubes or tubes which taper down are not able to capture these pieces.

Mine does. I aplologize. I actually just riffled thru that video the other day and didn’t even see his end result. I went to the end just now and now see he is doing exactly what I’m doing, except I got rid of my ‘holder’ contraption and basically ran that same stiff articulating hose straight I also have but in blue from the inlet port of my vac using enough length of that stiffish articulating hose to do so.

He just didn’t realize he didn’t need to do all that, but so did I although I had not been using the stiff articulating hose with my holder contraption at the time and was using that rubbery regular dust collection hose stuff instead. Once I went to LV and played with that type of stiff articulating hose and brought it home, it became quite apparent I could just go straight from the vac with it and remove my holder contraption entirely. Less clutter and easier to move out of the way when not wanted.

The wide scoop nozzle he has on the end, I have as well. I use the slim narrow one instead. If you place it right next to where your drill bit or Forstner is drilling, it collects pretty well everything even with the slimmer nozzle attachment. The wider nozzle is not as efficient in getting the suction up close to collect debris because of its wider opening which depending on what you are dealing with, can make it difficult to position properly for efficient collection.

I found some old pics from when I did this almost ten years ago. I think it shows a lot better than my previous messy drill press pics I took of it the other day.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING:

I’m using this old thread because there is so much good information already here as background.

I just received a Super Dust Deputy and will be hooking it up over the next few days. It’s the 5″ inlet model with a 6″ top outlet. This matches the 6″ inlet on my Delta 1 1/2 HP DC.

I will be using a 45 gal dust drum with drum bags as liners.

The SDD replaces a Thein separator on a 120 liter pail. Separation has never been great with this setup and capacity is not sufficient for my needs.

I’m looking forward to being able to just lift the lid, pull out the liner, replace it and carry on. No more messing with emptying dust bags and then cleaning up.

redwood
    Pro

I’m really interested in this Peter. I’ve thought about a separator for a long time, but just haven’t bit the bullet. I’ll have to move a lot of things around in my shop to add almost any size dust bin. I absolutely hate the plastic bag on my 1.5 HP ShopFox dust collector.

please post pics when you get it set up.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m really interested in this Peter. I’ve thought about a separator for a long time, but just haven’t bit the bullet. I’ll have to move a lot of things around in my shop to add almost any size dust bin. I absolutely hate the plastic bag on my 1.5 HP ShopFox dust collector.

Can’t you set it up outside your shop and just have the ducts inside?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I hear that, Mark, those plastic bags are why I am going this route.. Pics will follow, for sure. I have started to gather some of the pieces I will need put this puzzle together.

Doobie

I still use my canvas bottom bag. I use a host of rare earth type magnets to hold the backside of the bag with its metal strap in place as I move to the front to finish the clasping mechanism to set it back in place. Works like a charm.

Biggest things I did to achieve what is essentially a Thien style of seperation as I have no real estate for a seperate large debris pre-motor unit anyways, I removed the heavy cloth upper bag of my 2 HP 240V 1350 CFM collector for a pleated cannister. But way more impactful to ‘seperate’ stuff, was I took my entire unit off the mobile base it came with and set up the main collector unit on a standalone aftermarket $50 mobile base, and affixed my motor unit to the wall beside it and shortened the hose as much as I could to around a foot to the collection tower with the minorest of bend possible.

The exhaust port of the motor unit and the 6in feed to the collector unit are horizontal instead of as it was with 3-4 feet of hose winding up to the inlet of the collector unit. Suddenly, hardly anything other than fine dust was in the upper cannister unit and I only need clean out the upper pleated cannister filter once every half dozen bottom dumpings. Changing over to a pleated cannister makes a huge diff in suction alone, but reconfiguring the whole orientation of where the motor/impeller unit is was an added bonus even though I initially only did it to save floor/footprint space.

When I did this, the only pleated sytems with a seperate easy to dump cannister units were all too tall for my shop ceiling. They’ve since come out with more compact models that would fit my shop, but heck, my setup works just fine and like I said, magnets to hold that damn strapping and bottom bag in place as you fiddle to get the front done make life a lot easier. Some people use little spring clamps instead, but I found magnet holding is way easier as it keeps the shape of the bag and is less of a struggle. FWIW.

I’ll see if I can dig up some old pics of this when it was first set up. Right now, it’s so cluttered in that area with all sorts of add-ons I don’t think any current pics can really show it well enough.

EDIT: Found some pics.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Followup to the previous, the unit is set up and operational. MUCH easier than I had anticipated. Mounting to the drum lid was a piece of cake, very straightforward. I had to do some rerouting of ducts to accommodate the higher inlet and outlet positions and move a lumber rack slightly to allow clearance.

I opted to use HVAC components more as a temporary measure to get it up and running as quickly as possible.

A few notes and questions:
    I need to find a flanged 6″ inlet for the Delta DC. The 2 x 4″ wye fitting doesn’t work. I would like a 6″ inlet direct from the SDD to the DC. Right now it is stepped down from 6″ to 4″. Any suggestions?
    I need to find a way to lift the drum lid and SDD and hold them clear of the drum so I can slide it out for emptying. Any suggestions?
    I would like to do some more streamling of the inlet and outlets to avoid the crossed flex hoses …… later.
    I reattached the built in gasket on the drum lid with contact cement to keep it in place. It is necessary for a good seal at the drum lid connection. I used the lid clamp to secure the lid as well.
    The drum I got was previously used for honey. Cleanup was easy and the sprayed coating on the inside is a bonus.

SDD I got previously owned, never used $245 shipped. HVAC parts $30, drum $30, the rest I had in the shop.

I did start it up and run it. I even swept some debris into the floor sweep collector. Man, this unit really sucks! I don’t have any way of measuring how much better this is than the Thein but my gut says it’s a huge improvement. The footprint of the new SDD is virtually identical to the old arrangement. Taller, yes, but not much different otherwise.

Pics show the old setup and the new

@redwood

’m really interested in this Peter. I’ve thought about a separator for a long time, but just haven’t bit the bullet. I’ll have to move a lot of things around in my shop to add almost any size dust bin. I absolutely hate the plastic bag on my 1.5 HP ShopFox dust collector.

I purchased an Oneida Dust Deputy kit a few years ago. What a difference it has made. I empty the dust collector plastic bag around once a year. The dust barrel gets almost all of it. It is about 1/3 of a standard barrel in size and very easy to handle. I would highly recommend one. Here is a link to the current product similar to what I bought.

https://www.oneida-air.com/super-dust-deputy-4-inch-deluxe-cyclone-kit

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

’m really interested in this Peter. I’ve thought about a separator for a long time, but just haven’t bit the bullet. I’ll have to move a lot of things around in my shop to add almost any size dust bin. I absolutely hate the plastic bag on my 1.5 HP ShopFox dust collector.

I purchased an Oneida Dust Deputy kit a few years ago. What a difference it has made. I empty the dust collector plastic bag around once a year. The dust barrel gets almost all of it. It is about 1/3 of a standard barrel in size and very easy to handle. I would highly recommend one. Here is a link to the current product similar to what I bought.

https://www.oneida-air.com/super-dust-deputy-4-inch-deluxe-cyclone-kit

Very similar size to mine, Lon, what dust collector are you using it with?

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@smallerstick,
    “I need to find a way to lift the drum lid and SDD and hold them clear of the drum so I can slide it out for emptying. Any suggestions?”

I’m thinking a frame that fits around the barrel in sort of a ‘U’ shape (opening of the ‘U’ large enough to slide the drum out to empty. Some hooks or lips at a height the SDD could be lifted and slid back onto the holders to keep it in place while emptying the drum.
    Seems it could be easily make with 2×2 stock, but I would probably go with rebar to save space.

For that matter, even a couple shelf brackets with a piece of ply mounted with a cutout so the SDD sits on the barrel, but easy to just lift up and slide back onto the shelf.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@smallerstick,
    “I need to find a way to lift the drum lid and SDD and hold them clear of the drum so I can slide it out for emptying. Any suggestions?”

I’m thinking a frame that fits around the barrel in sort of a ‘U’ shape (opening of the ‘U’ large enough to slide the drum out to empty. Some hooks or lips at a height the SDD could be lifted and slid back onto the holders to keep it in place while emptying the drum.
    Seems it could be easily make with 2×2 stock, but I would probably go with rebar to save space.

For that matter, even a couple shelf brackets with a piece of ply mounted with a cutout so the SDD sits on the barrel, but easy to just lift up and slide back onto the shelf.

Ohh I like that a lot. Simple but effective ”I’ve got some heavy brackets that would do just nicely and I think there is enough space for the lid to move back onto the shelf. Thank you.

I have been focusing on some sort of lifting rig but it always gets complicated.

redwood
    Pro

I’ve been looking at the same setup that Lon has. I need to go check out my Dust collector and see what type of fittings I might need.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 289 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.830 seconds