dcsimg

Dust collector

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 289 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m finally getting back to my DC system. Now that the workbench is in place, I can begin routing the fixed pipe with enough T’s and Y’s to accommodate all of the equipment which needs to be attached. I have 20′ in place now with another 10′ left to do.

I am using 4″ PVC for the fixed pipe; it’s cheap, readily available and attaches easily to standard DC accessories. T’s, Y’s and elbows are cheap also compared to DC accessories.

Blast gates, 4 – 2 1/2″ adapters etc are a nice friction fit inside the 4″ PVC. No gluing or clamping is really necessary. By cutting out a 13/16″ wide sector from a piece of 4″ pipe, it becomes an adapter for a flex pipe to 4″ PVC connection.

Oh man Peter, you are on a roll right about now, the work bench, the Egg table, now this dust collection system,
    Can you come down to Montreal and stay at our place for a couple of weeks, lol you would help me out a lot, you can swim and eat and have a couple of beers lol

Nice work on the dust collection, I like how you made your own reducer / coupling.

I would love to spend a week or so in Montreal. Schwatz’s, I think it is for MSM sandwiches, some great patios, and, oh yeah, time in the wood shop, and beer. Sounds like a plan! lol

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Schwatz’s, I think it is for MSM sandwiches,

Worth the trip there alone! Best smoked meat in the universe.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I love smoked meats!! I go to Gava Smoked over here.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Shwartz smoked meat is good, but we have better. Smoked Meat Pete out on Ile Perrot, Reubens, and a few smaller shops are all more to my taste. I really miss Ben’s

Important thing is to order it full fat. Dry smoked meat sandwiches are a crime

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

so just a note for anyone looking to buy a oneida, i think they did some r and d recently. They re released the mini gorilla of which i have, and have corrected all the deficiencies that were their in the first version. One of the biggest problems is the rolling stand it came with, it is atrocious. The worst stand ever. They even managed to stick a way better filter on to the side. I may have to sell mine and buy the new one.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

so just a note for anyone looking to buy a oneida, i think they did some r and d recently. They re released the mini gorilla of which i have, and have corrected all the deficiencies that were their in the first version. One of the biggest problems is the rolling stand it came with, it is atrocious. The worst stand ever. They even managed to stick a way better filter on to the side. I may have to sell mine and buy the new one.

I have looked a little at the new mini gorilla. And at $1200 I wonder if the 583 CFM rating is enough. Everything you read claims you need over 1000 CFM to capture the really fine dust?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have looked a little at the new mini gorilla. And at $1200 I wonder if the 583 CFM rating is enough. Everything you read claims you need over 1000 CFM to capture the really fine dust?

I am not sure, I find that when i use it, it does capture the find sanding dust, when i used it for drywall. It has a hepa filter on it, and it fits in my basement, i originally wanted a larger one and had one bought but the larger one was too tall for my shop and i ended up getting the mini gorilla. If you don’t have alot of space this one is good but if you do have the space and money for it, i’d go for the full gorilla. That would be worth it.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Saw this today and had to pass it on… Easy build and cheap.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oulc3cTy-XY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

wow that is a easy genius idea, I’ll have to implement this when I get a new shop. My dust collection currently is based around wheeling the dust collector to the station .

redwood
    Pro

I realize that some like to build everything themselves and that’s fine, but I bought mine for $7 ea. and it was worth it. My time is valuable too.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I realize that some like to build everything themselves and that’s fine, but I bought mine for $7 ea. and it was worth it. My time is valuable too.

Have to agree Mark. While that is a really slick idea and looks like it works will. I think I will just buy a few myself.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Have to agree Mark. While that is a really slick idea and looks like it works will. I think I will just buy a few myself.

might be cheaper if you have a ton of them and can just batch em out.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I agree entirely with the cost vs time factor. The advantage that I can see with these gates over commercial items is the ceiling mount feature with the pull cord operation. The design of his gates works so well as ceiling mounts.

redwood
    Pro

I agree entirely with the cost vs time factor. The advantage that I can see with these gates over commercial items is the ceiling mount feature with the pull cord operation. The design of his gates works so well as ceiling mounts.

I will admit, the ceiling operation, with strings, is something my gates can’t be used for without a ladder. Though, I probably could mount the stick version on the ceiling, though it would be better if the stick didn’t have to be permanently attached.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Thanks for sharing that. Very nice idea tho.
    Building them might be a fun project if you have some time to spare – otherwise buying some is another option as the other mentioned it already.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Here is an affordable dust collector but not hepa rated.

this was my set up for years before I got my oneida

Ive started plumbing in permanent dust collection in my shop using schedule 40 PVC pipe, and it makes a world of difference from the flex hose I was using

My DC is a small single stage 1hp, 500-or-so-in-an-imaginary-lab CFM wall mounted unit that is Shop Fox branded and has a 2.5micron dust bag.

I use it with my table saw (bosch 4100 with 4 inch port added to the bottom) splitting the feed into a 4 inch at the bottom, a 2-1/2 at the back, and a 1-1/2 at the blade guard. It also gets hooked up to my planer (dewalt dw735) but is usually left off since the blower in the planer pushes everything all the way to the bag anyways

I am now adding short runs to my miter saw where it will be attached to a big gulp hood behind the saw (glide, so no rails) and to my workbench for hand tool shaving collection and floor sweep.

I still need to modify my benchtop bandsaw and benchtop jointer to accept a 4-inch port. With quick connects, they can use the same line as the planer since they are on the same stand.

With a DC this underpowered, I was told to avoid runs of any length and to run the shortest possible line to the tool. I agree it isnt a big 3hp unit, but it does a good job moving big air, better than my shop vac/dust deputy, which remains on handheld tool duty.

What I did not expect was that by keeping the PVC runs to under 8 feet, use of blast gates to only have one open run at a time, and avoiding tight bends, I get better performance than I did with a 10ft flex hose. Its not perfect, but it gets the job done pretty well.

I considered adding a canister filter to it, I considered adding a big cyclone separator like a clearvue or super dust deputy – but at over 200$ per component, it just isnt worth it on this little DC. Better to use it for now, and use my ambient air cleaner and a respirator with a decent P100 particle filter, and save the money for a more powerful unit (and a good one, since I actually already get better results than I could with the $150 “2hp” harbor freight unit)

Maybe one of the Oneida ones one day…. if I ever find space for it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

lol @montreal_medic, just switch to an oneida dust gorilla, its compact and most likely can fit anywhere in a modern house. Because my shop is my garage in my old 50’s house, the ceiling was a little lower and thats why I had to get the mini dust gorilla, but when it comes time to it, i am selling this little one and upgrading so I can really nab even the chips out of the air.

lol @montreal_medic, just switch to an oneida dust gorilla, its compact and most likely can fit anywhere in a modern house. Because my shop is my garage in my old 50’s house, the ceiling was a little lower and thats why I had to get the mini dust gorilla, but when it comes time to it, i am selling this little one and upgrading so I can really nab even the chips out of the air.

I dont have the headroom either, but Im not sure i have room for a mini-gorilla. Nice thing about this is that it hangs up near the ceiling and the shop vac fits right underneath the inflated dust bag, so it takes little space. I do have a trash can lid separator that isnt terrible (the Veritas one) but since I already own the trash can either way, that doesnt take up any space when Im not using it.

Doobie

Is “schedule 40” PVC simply 4 inch PVC Eric? I’m not faniliar with that technical term.

And what about some pics? Pics are always nice. ☺

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 289 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.799 seconds