dcsimg

Dust collector

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 289 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

OK, with my bandsaw purchase there has been mention of dust collection. I’m thinking I may need something now. I’ve never had a inside shop before, so dust is probably going to jump out at me now.

I have a Festool midi for sanders, domino, tracksaws and such, but it doesn’t really cut it for the table saw, the planer, and now maybe the bandsaw.

Anyone have any experience or comments on this offering. I like that it appears to be mobile. My shop isn’t that big to accommodate a lot of fixed pipe all around.

http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-FOX-W1727-Dust-Collector/dp/B001R23T44/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1453064951&sr=1-2&keywords=dust+extractor&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_89%3AShop+Fox

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I don’t have any experience with that DC unit but I know a couple guys that have some Shop Fox equipment and they do not have any complaints about them.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I would think that would take real good care of you Mark. That seems like a real good price also!

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Not interested in the Bosch?

redwood
    Pro

I’ve actually requested a Bosch through the rewards program, but that is not actually a dust collector per other folks on this forum. At least not for bigger machinery.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Bosch Vacuum only has 150 CFM, the Shop Fox is rated 800 CFM. It is better designed to handle the heavy dust creators. Will it be enough? I think @Doobie has one that is 1200 CFM?, Now that one keeps his shop clean.
    From reading I have done 1200 CFM plus is a better option but the cost definitely reflects it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Bosch Vacuum only has 150 CFM, the Shop Fox is rated 800 CFM. It is better designed to handle the heavy dust creators.

Thanks I didn’t really know that.

woodman_412

What did you get for a bandsaw Mark and what size dust port does it have? I’ve always used my shop vac for dust collection on my bandsaw. I have a Delta 14″ which has an 1 1/4″ port on it so the shop vac plugs right into it or my Bosch extractor depending on what I want to use.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

What did you get for a bandsaw Mark and what size dust port does it have? I’ve always used my shop vac for dust collection on my bandsaw. I have a Delta 14″ which has an 1 1/4″ port on it so the shop vac plugs right into it or my Bosch extractor depending on what I want to use.

I got the 14″ ShopFox Dan. It has a 4″ port.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

If you are buying a dust collector, look for one that can have a Thien baffle added. Works like a cyclone, but more compact and easier to DIY.
    http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm
    And lots of other places on the web. Look for the tophat version.

@redwood, I just finished reading a book on dust collection today. They recommend 2 stage dust collection if possible such as hooking up an Oneida Dust Deputy to help collect the larger particles and dust before it gets to the dust collector. From personal experience I agree. Dan has written about this on some threads previously. In addition the book strongly suggested a canister filter and not the filter bag. Too much fine dust gets through the filter bags. As mentioned more CFM is better. A table for various shop equipment said 400 cfm for a 14″ bandsaw with a 4″ port was what was needed. The book was titled “Dust Control Made Simple” published by Taunton Press. It was a quick read and had a lot of useful info.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If you are buying a dust collector, look for one that can have a Thien baffle added. Works like a cyclone, but more compact and easier to DIY.
    http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm
    And lots of other places on the web. Look for the tophat version.

I followed that tutorial when I built mine. It’s not perfect, but you’ll have a functioning separator when you are done. It does leave some details out as to how to “tune” the baffle and exactly how to position the intake and exhaust though.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

@PI_Woodworker

Lon, the Shop Fox dust collector I referenced has a 2.5 micron filter. I’m assuming only particles smaller then that are supposed to escape. What does a common dust mask filter? I just read 95% of .3 micron.

I’m thinking that this is a reasonably priced mobile unit with enough CFM (800)to handle most tools one at a time. I’ve worked my whole life almost without any dust collection, I have to believe this is much better. I’m fairly sure I already have a 2×4 in my lungs.

This all a little bit daunting to me. I’m just trying to keep my shop a little cleaner then other wise. I will still wear a mask for some operations.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Doobie

Bosch Vacuum only has 150 CFM, the Shop Fox is rated 800 CFM. It is better designed to handle the heavy dust creators. Will it be enough? I think @Doobie has one that is 1200 CFM?, Now that one keeps his shop clean.
    From reading I have done 1200 CFM plus is a better option but the cost definitely reflects it.

Actually, when I was shopping for it, it was all an issue of whether I could go 220V for power. The same design, but with a larger motor running at 220 vs 110 cost the same. The diff was in the suction. 700 CFM versus 1200 for the 220V motor. Can’t say that still holds true today, but I recall both General and King had identical offerings like this.

@redwood, I did not check the specs of the Shop Fox. I was just passing along what they suggested in the book. I certainly am not trying to argue with you.

I can relate from personal experience, I had a bag filter and switching to a canister filter was a big improvement for me. Canister filters have more surface area to filter the air flow and do not cake up from the dust fast like a bag filter. Changing the dust collector bag was and is a pain. So when I added a Dust Deputy I found the bag did not fill anywhere near as often and the emptying of the Dust Deputy barrel is a lot easier instead.

Hey Red. the shopfox should be more then enough. btw are your bags hanging up?

redwood
    Pro

Good to hear from you Yanni, I don’t even know where my bags are.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

I think that the unit looks pretty good – looks similar to a Delta unit as well. The issue with the filter bags is that they get seasoned with dust quickly. While this can actually help reduce fine particles from escaping the bag, it does reduce the CFM and efficiency of the collector. Probably not a huge issue if hooking up to one machine only. I might add a cartridge filter like one from Wynn or something to improve performance and airflow – at least that is what I did on my DC.

Orange County, CA

Doobie

I replaced my upper bag a few years after I bought mine from the thick cloth filter it came with with an upper canister solid framed pleated filter as it was not available when I first bought it. Major improvement in no longer having that fine dust seepage and maintaining good suction.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Mark, I have a DC similar to the Shop Fox you are looking at with a Thien second stage ahead of it. It looks after the TS, BS, planer, jointer, router table one at a time with no problem.
    I will be stepping up to a canister to replace the top bag when I can afford one.
    You will probably want a remote start for the DC as well.

I’ll get some pics up later today.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 289 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.877 seconds