dcsimg

Dust collection for small shop

This topic contains 63 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Dan 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author

New question

Ive been using my small wall-mounted shop fox 1hp dust collector for a couple of months now (but only a few projects since its been slow) and it is a PITA to empty the felt bag.

The bottom unzips from edge to edge, making about a 12 inch slit, but nothing wants to come out. I planed a bunch of pine and found myself having to reach in with my arm to pull out the chips and dust.

I know I could use a separator. I have the LV garbage can lid, but my planer blows harder than my DC sucks, so it blows the lid off. I just gave up and ran it to the dc directly, and it all goes in the bag.

Any tricks for emptying the bag? Reaching in and knocking it with a stick both suck and take forever

yellaD
    Pro

Reporting back

After a lot of Internet research, and a lot of expert advise from you guys, I decided that while I don’t have room for a floor unit, a small unit is better then nothing, and inexpensive enough to be with a shot

I decided to get a wall mounted unit, and the shop fox 1hp is about the best I could find. It’s a twin to the Grizzly, but with a 2.5 micron bag filter instead of the Grizzly 30 micron

The wall unit will be mounted to a French cleat, so I can move it as needed, bring it near the tool, and store it in the basement when not in use.

Also went with a garbage can lid separator. The Veritas one gets good reviews. It’s more of a chip separator then a cyclone, but seems to work about the same as the Thien, and I didn’t want to have to build something.

I am also thinking of buying a hanging ambient air cleaner, to help with any fine dust that makes it through. Again, I realize a real DC does a better job, but I don’t have the floor space, so I’m doing what I can to make it work

A focus on getting the dust at the source will also help. For my GTS1031 TS, The over arm blade guard with dust port makes a huge difference with my shop vac, so I’m sure the DC will be even better. Worth ordering from Europe for anyone using a GTS1031 or a 4000/4100

Very interesting thread so far, I’ve got the same problems as you.

yellaD
    Pro

New question

Ive been using my small wall-mounted shop fox 1hp dust collector for a couple of months now (but only a few projects since its been slow) and it is a PITA to empty the felt bag.

The bottom unzips from edge to edge, making about a 12 inch slit, but nothing wants to come out. I planed a bunch of pine and found myself having to reach in with my arm to pull out the chips and dust.

I know I could use a separator. I have the LV garbage can lid, but my planer blows harder than my DC sucks, so it blows the lid off. I just gave up and ran it to the dc directly, and it all goes in the bag.

Any tricks for emptying the bag? Reaching in and knocking it with a stick both suck and take forever

@Montreal Medic, Do you think the Grizzly would have the same problem?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Montreal Medic, you need a better system period. Can’t say anything better to help you. Sorry! 🙁

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

New question

I can only say splurge for the oneida series. I went to welback sawmills and bought mine. However since i’ve bought mine atlas tools now carries the same brand and they are amazing. I only wish I had a bigger house so I can get one larger.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’m in an 11X22 one car garage and have a 1300 CFM dust collector which I took apart from the way they sold it to get it to occupy less room. If I can accommodate such a unit, anybody can. Get away from the shopvac trying to suck a golfball thru a garden hose and get the right equipment is all I’m saying.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

yellaD
    Pro

I’m in an 11X22 one car garage and have a 1300 CFM dust collector which I took apart from the way they sold it to get it to occupy less room. If I can accommodate such a unit, anybody can. Get away from the shopvac trying to suck a golfball thru a garden hose and get the right equipment is all I’m saying.

Thanks for the advice! I’m glad you’re saying it with conviction because I was on the fence about doing it properly or shop vac it.

Thanks for the advice! I’m glad you’re saying it with conviction because I was on the fence about doing it properly or shop vac it.

You have a car in there too?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Kevin is right. Don’t try the shop vac route. Go dc all the way, from the start. Volume of air flow is what does the job and a shop vac can’t deliver volume.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

How full are you filling the bag? I’d there a chance that you are waiting too long and the chips are compacting and making it more difficult to empty it?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

How full are you filling the bag? I’d there a chance that you are waiting too long and the chips are compacting and making it more difficult to empty it?

That actually might be it. I tend to go until it is “full” -even everflowed and popped off the hose once – made a bloody mess

Reporting back

After a lot of Internet research, and a lot of expert advise from you guys, I decided that while I don’t have room for a floor unit, a small unit is better then nothing, and inexpensive enough to be with a shot

I decided to get a wall mounted unit, and the shop fox 1hp is about the best I could find. It’s a twin to the Grizzly, but with a 2.5 micron bag filter instead of the Grizzly 30 micron

The wall unit will be mounted to a French cleat, so I can move it as needed, bring it near the tool, and store it in the basement when not in use.

Also went with a garbage can lid separator. The Veritas one gets good reviews. It’s more of a chip separator then a cyclone, but seems to work about the same as the Thien, and I didn’t want to have to build something.

I am also thinking of buying a hanging ambient air cleaner, to help with any fine dust that makes it through. Again, I realize a real DC does a better job, but I don’t have the floor space, so I’m doing what I can to make it work

A focus on getting the dust at the source will also help. For my GTS1031 TS, The over arm blade guard with dust port makes a huge difference with my shop vac, so I’m sure the DC will be even better. Worth ordering from Europe for anyone using a GTS1031 or a 4000/4100

You may want to replace the bag and put a pleated filter in. More surface area, smaller pores, less restriction.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Shop vacs don’t move the same amount of air, you definitely need to upgrade.

http://www.atlas-machinery.com/oneida-2hp-super-gorilla-hepa-cyclone-dust-collector/

This is what I would’ve went to but i didn’t have the height to accommodate it so i went with the mini gorilla which was 1.5 hp at least I think it was 1.5

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

You may want to replace the bag and put a pleated filter in. More surface area, smaller pores, less restriction.

I did that with my 1300 CFM DC. Makes a huge diff and last longer before the suction reduces as well.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’m in an 11X22 one car garage and have a 1300 CFM dust collector which I took apart from the way they sold it to get it to occupy less room. If I can accommodate such a unit, anybody can.

@doobie,
    How did you disassemble and in what manner did you re=assemble to make it fit? Was it too tall? What brand? How many horses?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

yellaD
    Pro

http://www.atlas-machinery.com/oneida-2hp-super-gorilla-hepa-cyclone-dust-collector/

This is what I would’ve went to but i didn’t have the height to accommodate it so i went with the mini gorilla which was 1.5 hp at least I think it was 1.5

OMG that’s a lot of $$$ to spend on a small shop DC. Prolly AMAZING though!

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’m in an 11X22 one car garage and have a 1300 CFM dust collector which I took apart from the way they sold it to get it to occupy less room. If I can accommodate such a unit, anybody can.

@doobie,
    How did you disassemble and in what manner did you re=assemble to make it fit? Was it too tall? What brand? How many horses?

It’s a 220V King 1300 CFM single stage DC with a pleated canister filter. I removed the motor and mounted it sideways on the wall, shortened the line to the canister which was removed from the base it was originally set up on with its motor an fitted onto a new base that has a smaller footprint.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

OMG that’s a lot of $$$ to spend on a small shop DC. Prolly AMAZING though!

As much as it was to spend on it, not only will your tools work better in a dust free environment, you will work much better in a dust free environment. Trust me it is worth it, and right now my dust collector isn’t in my shop, once i get it cleaned up with the new tool box i’ll have it set right back up.

yellaD
    Pro

I can’t wait to see this thing in action! It got crazy reviews…

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

my big DC was the best (well right after all the lights!!) purchase I have ever made in my shop.

I now try and encourage everyone to make it their first purchase vs their last.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.363 seconds