dcsimg

Dust collection for small shop

This topic contains 63 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Dan 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I think you should check out the oneida line of dust collectors. If you have the space get the oneida super gorilla. I personally have the oneida mini gorillia and i love the way it works. I’ve used it for dry wall as well and it works wonders, while sanding the drywall it doesn’t turn in to a snow storm inside.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Whats the HP of that DC? Is it just a bag, or is there a separator?

It’s 1.5 HP, 110 or 220 VAC, Jet model 1100A.

2 bag system. Stuff slowed in the top drops to bottom for collection.

Like I said, I have a chip separator upstream to protect it and store more in between cleanings. It’s nothing more than a box made of scrap T111 with calculated inside dimensions that maintain flow. Butt joints and caulk. There’s a baffle in the flow path from top to about 1/3 to 1/2 way down that stops larger stuff. A capped PVC pipe in the bottom is the cleanout, which I’ll some day change to a sliding gate for easier access. If I did it again, I’d mount it as high as I could could get it.

I posted the link to the calculations here somewhere. Size and shape aren’t critical, it’s all ratios.

There is maybe another 4 feet between the hood of the car and the bench, but that goes to the mower, the shop vac, and the garbage can. Walls have shovels and rakes, extension cords, ladder, etc above, and sheet materials leaning against.

I’ll second @doobie on you needing a garden shed to move all the garden tools out of the garage.
    I finally convinced the wife to let me put up a shed (4’x7′) all be it small but 97% of my garden tools moved into it. and it gave me much more room in the garage to work.
    I am fortunate that my garage is separate from my home, I probably bring more dirt in the house from walking back and forth. 😮

EDIT:: Just a lean too type shed so it is kinda out of the way and takes up space that was otherwise not being used.

When I did my very first cabinet job out of my shop, this is what it looked like! Since then, I have purged, and purged, and purged. It was even worse than this if you could imagine. This place has come a long way.

Attachments:

I think you should check out the oneida line of dust collectors. If you have the space get the oneida super gorilla. I personally have the oneida mini gorillia and i love the way it works. I’ve used it for dry wall as well and it works wonders, while sanding the drywall it doesn’t turn in to a snow storm inside.

I love the idea of the mini-gorilla, but there is no room for it, and the cost is significant. Maybe I should be saving my pennies, but I am more thinking about the lower (much lower) end DC systems, like the wall mounted and caster-mounted blowers

Every tool I own has a 2 1/2 port (except sanders and stuff with smaller ports) – does the DC get impacted by stepping down (as close to the tool as possible, of course)? Can I run the DC through my existing dust deputy (2 1/2 ports in and out)?

there is NO over lap on DC vs Vacuum. I’ve tried it all and it just doesn’t do it. You need high CFM for proper DC in large areas not high vacuum. That’s not to say there isn’t room for both (well maybe in your shop there isn’t!) but I would NEVER be without DC again. Get the dust at the source. The only exception to this is tools made for vacuums. Stuff like sanders and track saws but the bigger saw/planers etc high CFM is king. If you want to do it right, find the room. :-(

Get the 1.5hp and mount it up high. It doesn’t take up that much more room then a shop vac and all the mess associated with that. I went from a rigid, to a bosch VAC090 to a general DC. I should have gone the other way. They all have uses in my shop but the DC is king.

IMG_2490 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Thanks Brad. What do you mean by mounting it high? I dont see any way for me to have room for it, but I am hoping Im just missing something

Agree with everyone that I need a shed. Because of the heavy red tape with the city for any shed (including the prefab outdoor tiny closets), I will be doing it with a quality shed, as big as I have room for, and am allowed. In the meantime, I am saving my money. Might be a couple of years on that. For now, we are using the basement (besides the furnace room) for storage (food, clothes, furniture, So I cant do any dust producing work down there) and can at least keep the out of season lawn tools there (mower in winter, shovels in summer) as well as my winter/summer tires for both cars…. It isnt perfect, but it lets me survive without a shed.

To me, the question is:
    Is one of these small 1hp units “better enough” then my shop vac setup, or is it not worth it?

Unless there is a way I cannot see, given the lack of space, I dont see one of the big boys happening. I dont doubt that they are orders of magnitude better. I just want to know if a bad DC like those posted above are a worthwhile step up from a vac/cyclone setup. If it works, I can use the same cyclone as a separator in front of the crappy dc

In the end, I decided that I will pass for now, and live with the vac/DD setup for a couple more years. It is far from perfect, but I dont want to get something just to replace it.

I will save up and get the Oneida setup – looks compact and gets crazy reviews

In the meantime, I will keep an eye out for one of the mini blowers on sale – cut down on the chips Im bringing into the house, and will only need a few feet of hose…. If I can get one for a hundred bucks, it will do for a couple of years, then serve as a mobile option to run another tool at the same time

I really appreciate all the tips!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Good that you are looking at the oneida line. I have one and it is great. If you have the space for it go one up for something even stronger like the gorilla dust collector. I only know of one place in ontario that sells it and it is welbeck sawmills. I drove up there in my old ford escape and managed to fit all the parts in the back. However word to the wise, DON’t BUY the damn wheels that come with it. That portion is the worst design i have ever had the misfortune to buy, go with the wall kit. It is cheaper and you can build your own cart.

Good that you are looking at the oneida line. I have one and it is great. If you have the space for it go one up for something even stronger like the gorilla dust collector. I only know of one place in ontario that sells it and it is welbeck sawmills. I drove up there in my old ford escape and managed to fit all the parts in the back. However word to the wise, DON’t BUY the damn wheels that come with it. That portion is the worst design i have ever had the misfortune to buy, go with the wall kit. It is cheaper and you can build your own cart.

Well noted!

Thanks – might be a while though, so who knows what will be released in the meantime.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks Brad. What do you mean by mounting it high? I dont see any way for me to have room for it, but I am hoping Im just missing something

I just mean get it off the floor so you can store stuff under it.

Is one of these small 1hp units “better enough” then my shop vac setup, or is it not worth it?

Way better IMO. Keep an eye out for used units. I got the above for $300. The bag filters are poor as far as I can tell. You want a small micron pleated filter.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I’d check CL out. DC’s are always on there. Relatively cheap too. If you already have space for a shop vac and DD, then you have room for a dedicated DC. Just switch them out.

I’d check CL out. DC’s are always on there. Relatively cheap too. If you already have space for a shop vac and DD, then you have room for a dedicated DC. Just switch them out.

Did – no luck, but I will keep looking. A few different names for them in french, so harder searching

That said, I dont have room for the vac and DD either, I bring them up from the furnace room when I need them. A full-sized DC, even one on wheels, is not mobile enough to move it up and down from the basement, across the house, and into the garage

Maybe one day I will manage to carve out a corner, perhaps in a couple of years when I can get a shed, but for the moment, something like the 750CFM portable model, with an upgraded pleated filter is probably the best I can manage. At least I can disassemble it and keep it on a high shelf when not in use

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

… To me, the question is:

… I just want to know if a bad DC like those posted above are a worthwhile step up from a vac/cyclone setup. …

As long as you don’t take a smaller unit and then starve it for air or choke down too much, I think you’d see an improvement.

I went with 4″ pipe because it seemed so much larger than what I had. Now I’d use 6″ pipe for the mains, then 4″ for the drops.

DCs typically have more of a roar than the whine of a vac. I haven’t compared dB levels, but enclosing them in a cabinet or having them in an adjacent room makes the shop more pleasant. When you do get around to design time, consider also your weather – you may want an air return to the shop to keep from sucking cold air in. If your shop is anything like mine, everything has a big footprint. Wall-mounting the DC and chip collector helps.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Way better IMO. Keep an eye out for used units. I got the above for $300. The bag filters are poor as far as I can tell. You want a small micron pleated filter.

have you tried the canister type filter for those dust collectors? I have heard it works better than the filter it comes with.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

have you tried the canister type filter for those dust collectors? I have heard it works better than the filter it comes with.

I upgraded mine from a bag to a canister. Way better suction and filtration.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Did – no luck, but I will keep looking. A few different names for them in french, so harder searching

That said, I dont have room for the vac and DD either, I bring them up from the furnace room when I need them. A full-sized DC, even one on wheels, is not mobile enough to move it up and down from the basement, across the house, and into the garage

Maybe one day I will manage to carve out a corner, perhaps in a couple of years when I can get a shed, but for the moment, something like the 750CFM portable model, with an upgraded pleated filter is probably the best I can manage. At least I can disassemble it and keep it on a high shelf when not in use

That’s too bad. Sorry, I misunderstood thinking it was already in your workspace. Gotta do what you gotta do. I know my space is small and always looking for more ways to eke out more efficient usage of what I have.

Sometimes CL is a crapshoot. I got pretty lucky with the DC I got. Delta 2 hp real clean, paid $125 for it. Glad to hand him my money.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

today it worked amazingly well with @utopia78 demo’ing the porch and the mini gorilla sucking up all the dust from down below. otherwise it would’ve been crazy dusty.

Reporting back

After a lot of Internet research, and a lot of expert advise from you guys, I decided that while I don’t have room for a floor unit, a small unit is better then nothing, and inexpensive enough to be with a shot

I decided to get a wall mounted unit, and the shop fox 1hp is about the best I could find. It’s a twin to the Grizzly, but with a 2.5 micron bag filter instead of the Grizzly 30 micron

The wall unit will be mounted to a French cleat, so I can move it as needed, bring it near the tool, and store it in the basement when not in use.

Also went with a garbage can lid separator. The Veritas one gets good reviews. It’s more of a chip separator then a cyclone, but seems to work about the same as the Thien, and I didn’t want to have to build something.

I am also thinking of buying a hanging ambient air cleaner, to help with any fine dust that makes it through. Again, I realize a real DC does a better job, but I don’t have the floor space, so I’m doing what I can to make it work

A focus on getting the dust at the source will also help. For my GTS1031 TS, The over arm blade guard with dust port makes a huge difference with my shop vac, so I’m sure the DC will be even better. Worth ordering from Europe for anyone using a GTS1031 or a 4000/4100

I am also thinking of buying a hanging ambient air cleaner, to help with any fine dust that makes it through. Again, I realize a real DC does a better job, but I don’t have the floor space, so I’m doing what I can to make it work

That is a great addition to your work area. You will be surprised how much it pulls out of the air.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I rarely ever turn on my air cleaner. Collecting at source is paramount. Air cleaner on signals something needs improvement or replacement.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.178 seconds