dcsimg

Drywall Tools – Hawk or Mud Pan?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

For the past 25 – 30 years I have always used a Drywall Hawk.

I see a lot of people using a mud pan these days.

I tried to use a pan a couple of years ago and found it awkward. Maybe I’m just dead set in my ways?

What do you guys prefer? and why?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im a pan guy. When I first spackled I had a hawk and used it for a couple of years. I was too messy and not good with it.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I’m a hawk guy, never really tried the pan, See many people using it, might have had try it and see how it feels.

Sir_Mixalot
    Pro
    Melbourne Beach, FL

I use a mud pan when hand finishing, because I think I have more mud to spread on without reloading for a while.

And I use a hawk when applying a hand texture, because I can get just the right amount of mud on my knife or trowel to keep the texture consistent.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I use a mud pan when hand finishing, because I think I have more mud to spread on without reloading for a while.

And I use a hawk when applying a hand texture, because I can get just the right amount of mud on my knife or trowel to keep the texture consistent.

@Sir_Mixalot
    So a pan is good for a thinner mixture, I guess? Makes sense, I do have some mud to do in the coming weeks and maybe give it another go.

Paul, ThanX good to see that pro uses both and reasoning for both.

— Glenn Botting

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I’m not an expert drywaller but I have just used a mud pan so far. holds enough mud for me to tape couple joints and it doesnt dry out so fast.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

A hawk looks more effective and easier I suppose once you get used to it, but I’ve never tried it. I should though. A pan has limitations in ease of use.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Never tried a hawk for drywall, but have used them when re-pointing brick. I’ll use a pan unless it’s just a small area, then I just load up a 12″ knife and work off that as a makeshift hawk.

redwood
    Pro

Pan only for me. I was always afraid of having the mud slide off the Hawk.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Stainless steel box with welded corners for me doing drywall work .

Always willing to learn .

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Years ago I worked for a drywall finisher, we used a hawk and trowel for the seams,used a pan when wiping down tape behind the banjo, as it was really thin mud.
    Nowadays the finishers I see use more automated tools , and all the hand work they do is with a pan and knives.

Years ago I worked for a drywall finisher, we used a hawk and trowel for the seams,used a pan when wiping down tape behind the banjo, as it was really thin mud.
    Nowadays the finishers I see use more automated tools , and all the hand work they do is with a pan and knives.

I did work for a retired taper . He showed me his hawk . It wasn’t square anymore . He whore out the aluminum with his troweling .

Those automatic machines really speed up finishing process . I’ve seen them once there setup it’s all business .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

That’s pretty well my reasoning for shying away from trying it. Although they are probably quicker to clean than a pan.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

That’s pretty well my reasoning for shying away from trying it. Although they are probably quicker to clean than a pan.

With regular mud it stays on just fine. Sometimes it slides a little, when that happens, you just scrape it back to the top side.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Takes some practice but for the most part it stays put. Much easier to keep clean.

— Glenn Botting

pan, just avoid the plastic ones. Metal strip slides out, knife doesn’t slde down the sides, harder to clean.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

pan, just avoid the plastic ones. Metal strip slides out, knife doesn’t slde down the sides, harder to clean.

I will second that. I did buy a plastic one a long time ago. The steel edges pop out for cleaning, but the whole thing is tougher to clean, harder to get a good wipe with your knife, and just tends to make more of a mess.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I am not a pro drywaller but have done quite a bit of it. I always just load my 12″ knife and work off of that. I keep the bucket of mud close by.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Same reason I only use a pan. I’m content with sticking to it…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I’m a pan guy to. It’s just easier. A lot less thinking about all the mud falling off the hawk.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.314 seconds