dcsimg

drywall returns vs actual trimmed windows cost comparison

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@Seven-Delta-FortyOne

It would be a cost if you had to come back in a year and fix the molded drywall.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

With the cold weather we have here and the condensation I see on a lot of windows due to poor moisture management in homes, I think Drywall returns are a poor idea. As tight as homes are being built, it is extremely hard to get the moisture out of them and there is not a window made that will not get some condensation when the temperature is 20 below.

Our new code requires less than 3 Air changes per hour (ACH) leakage. Our last one built under the old code of 5 ACH mas tested at 1.18. Our heating contractor is worried that the HRV we are using will not be big enough to compensate for such low leakage. Under the new code we anticipate our ACH to be less than 1

Moisture and drywall returns do not go together.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

it seems all the architects are going for the commercial look in homes… its definitely true that they dont hold up… especially in colder climates.. i dont know how many windows i saw with crumbling drywall returns when i worked at the university… the gc is trying to convince the architect to nix the drywall returns on this house though.. they just dont hold up the same

I have buildings that I take care of that did drywall returns with metal window casings. Being in Wisconsin, all winter long the condensation builds up on the metal windows and destroys the drywall returns in no time. It was horrible design and just doesn’t work well in cold climates. I think you can get away with it with vinyl windows, but I have seen disasters with metal windows here.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

thats just it.. the ones i saw were metal windows.. even trimming metal windows using mdf is a bad idea for the same reason… if i were to do it now id probably use pvc trim

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think Drywall returns are a poor idea. As tight as homes are being built, it is extremely hard to get the moisture out of them and there is not a window made that will not get some condensation when the temperature is 20 below.

Maybe that’s why they are used over here so often. We only get a max of 30º temp change.

I have never been a fan of the drywall returns, i have installed them only a hand full of times. There are very common in the tract built homes in my area, with the builder grade trim package they do in the homes i highly doubt there is a difference in cost overall. I know for sure i can trim out a window faster than i can do a drywall return.

<P>I have never been a fan of the drywall returns, i have installed them only a hand full of times. There are very common in the tract built homes in my area, with the builder grade trim package they do in the homes i highly doubt there is a difference in cost overall. I know for sure i can trim out a window faster than i can do a drywall return. </P>

Yes same here , I am pretty good at drywall, but far from being an expert, but like you say I could trim it out faster

@DirtyWhiteBoy
    nice pictures Dirty , i like the bullnose and trim on the bottom of the window.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

we always do a 1″ pvc sil.. for trim or drywall returns. its the only thing that will hold up… the drywall will either turn to mush or the bead will get damaged in no time

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In an apartment we did a long time ago we used a cultured marble sill. that definitely held up well.

When i do commercial work we do drywall returns because wood doesn’t really look right in a finished office most of the time. the way we do it though is with a “J” channel. you can slide tight to the window and with a few daps of caulk it will stay in place. I can’t stand the look but it cost almost nothing compared to trimming with wood.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

When i do commercial work we do drywall returns because wood doesn’t really look right in a finished office most of the time. the way we do it though is with a “J” channel. you can slide tight to the window and with a few daps of caulk it will stay in place. I can’t stand the look but it cost almost nothing compared to trimming with wood.

That sound interesting. I’ve never seen the J used.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That sound interesting. I’ve never seen the J used.

J channel is used a lot here too . It saves a lot of time .

Next time I’m at one of the buildings I’ll try to snap some pictures I hate the look but it is better the muding up to the window.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

The J is more of a commercial thing here.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I guess I am not seeing it being a wash. Usually drywall returns are painted the same color as the walls. With wood casing and such more than likely you will be painting it a different color or staining. So when spraying, you would only mask the window with a drywall return. With a wood return you would mask the window then the casing or the wall (which ever you like to paint first).

Drywall returns are production cut by the hanger. Or at least I do. Then the corner bead I staple on. So maybe 20 minutes there. 10 minutes for each layer of mud (3). So the basic installation is a little more time but after that, painting is a breeze.

We also put a little bead of caulk in every crevice so that takes a little time when paint prep comes along. Filling nail holes, etc. I think drywall returns are cheaper. Of course the type of trim and how intricate the trim is plays a role.

Personally I do not like drywall returns. I’m in Az so we use them alot. They are very…bla. We usually use the 3/4″ round bead but when we use the 1 1/2″ I think it looks worse.

Just my opinion…..

I guess I am not seeing it being a wash. Usually drywall returns are painted the same color as the walls. With wood casing and such more than likely you will be painting it a different color or staining. So when spraying, you would only mask the window with a drywall return. With a wood return you would mask the window then the casing or the wall (which ever you like to paint first).

Drywall returns are production cut by the hanger. Or at least I do. Then the corner bead I staple on. So maybe 20 minutes there. 10 minutes for each layer of mud (3). So the basic installation is a little more time but after that, painting is a breeze.

We also put a little bead of caulk in every crevice so that takes a little time when paint prep comes along. Filling nail holes, etc. I think drywall returns are cheaper. Of course the type of trim and how intricate the trim is plays a role.

Personally I do not like drywall returns. I’m in Az so we use them alot. They are very…bla. We usually use the 3/4″ round bead but when we use the 1 1/2″ I think it looks worse.

Just my opinion…..

It would be so much easier to thank you for your response if it wasn’t for the avatar. Seriously though, well put. Have followed this thread with great interest since I have never done them out of drywall, but have considered since the rentals get tore up quite a bit.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

When spraying texture does it even need 3 layers of mudd?? I think the hacks that I work after use less.

quartrsawn
    Pro
    WEST SAYVILLE, New York

I only use wood trim. Much nicer look.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

It would be so much easier to thank you for your response if it wasn’t for the avatar. Seriously though, well put. Have followed this thread with great interest since I have never done them out of drywall, but have considered since the rentals get tore up quite a bit.

Lol. Yeah well… they’re tearing it up this season too!!

When spraying texture does it even need 3 layers of mudd?? I think the hacks that I work after use less.

Many guys only use 2 coats. This might be ok when using something like a skip trowel. I think spraying texture is when you need to use 3.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I only use wood trim. Much nicer look.

What kind of wood would you use? We almost never use wood because MDF is cheaper.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.540 seconds