dcsimg

Drones in construction

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Drones are used a lot in many industries.

Amazon is talking about using drones in larger cities to do 2 hour delivery for Prime members. So it seems the ability of drones to handle weight is not an inhibitor anymore.

I saw some videos of this product called Hover Camera that could take pictures and videos of you by following you in the front or back, orbiting you, avoid obstacles as it flies, and obey voice and hand gesture to go lower or higher, closer or farther etc…

Original Hover:

Hover 2:

Hover, Breeze, Spark, Dobby:

What about how it can help people like us?

What about L-Boxxes or Packout boxes that fly themselves wherever I walk?

What about if a gallon paint can can sit on a drone, and have a drone lift the paint and follow me as I cut in a ceiling corner with a brush?

What about a drone as a third hand? Hold the other end of a 4X4 while I check for level and plumb?

Think this is coming in our life time?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

New rules for drones coming soon in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/new-drone-regulations-1.4973023

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What about L-Boxxes or Packout boxes that fly themselves wherever I walk?

What about if a gallon paint can can sit on a drone, and have a drone lift the paint and follow me as I cut in a ceiling corner with a brush?

What about a drone as a third hand? Hold the other end of a 4X4 while I check for level and plumb?

Think this is coming in our life time?

Man you have a vivid imagination.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

Dirty, the only time I’ve seen drones used in construction was to do the very same thing that you saw the guy in the manlift doing a couple of weeks ago… taking photos of the job site.

For elevating equipment and materials… scissor lift platforms, conveyor belt ramps, and cranes of all kinds are what I see. Dozens of tower cranes up and running in all the downtowns around here. Quite a contrast from 10 years ago.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Times are changing though.

I think there are applications that makes sense. May be not for lifting 50 sheets of 4X8 to the 12th floor, but lighter applications.

They can insert balloons into a blood vessel, they can scope out your rectum and cut on polyps…so why can’t they make a baseball size robot to roll or wheel down a 4″ sewer, bluetooth back images, videos, and cut away obstructions or tree roots if present?

No reason with the battery technology they are having with the Tesla semi truck they can’t engineer a flying toolbox to follow me around in a few years and sell it for $59.99. Or a hover board to go inside or outside a crawl space or attic to pick up forgotten tools or batteries where a helper outside can fetch.

CB
    Pro

They can insert balloons into a blood vessel, they can scope out your rectum and cut on polyps…so why can’t they make a baseball size robot to roll or wheel down a 4″ sewer, bluetooth back images, videos, and cut away obstructions or tree roots if present?.

They already have balloons and video cameras in 4″ sewers. The balloons are used to isolate sections of sewer line for pressure testing. This has become required now before getting a final. The video is used to determine how far in the lateral to shove the balloon, before it wyes into the main.

We wouldn’t want those items as remote robots. Have you ever worked on a sewer line tie in when someone suddenly flushes a load and drains their bathtub down the main? Bye bye robot. Hello huge remedial liability for blockage down stream. I think most underground contractors would prefer tethered.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I just bought a tello small drone , nothing fancy , its just to inspect my roof shingles and other areas on my house , beats pulling out the 24 extension ladder and putting on a harness and trying to find a place to tie it off , just fly the drone , if everything looks good , if not then I have to get all prepped ,
    I think they will have robots helping out on jobsites before drones ,

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

They already have balloons and video cameras in 4″ sewers. The balloons are used to isolate sections of sewer line for pressure testing. This has become required now before getting a final. The video is used to determine how far in the lateral to shove the balloon, before it wyes into the main.

We use test balls and inflatable plugs as well for head tests. But those are manually inserted, and either has a tail that needs to be anchored or a lever for removal. It’s a singular purpose mechanical device.

We wouldn’t want those items as remote robots. Have you ever worked on a sewer line tie in when someone suddenly flushes a load and drains their bathtub down the main? Bye bye robot. Hello huge remedial liability for blockage down stream. I think most underground contractors would prefer tethered.

What I am hoping is the technology would be advanced enough, with both battery power, miniturization, and robotics would make tethering not necessary. I haven’t done sewer line work in a large high rise with hundreds of occupants, only single and multi-family that I am able to shut off the plumbing for maintenance and be reasonably sure no one would flush or drain within a period of time, but that’s my point, if a robot gets flushed away, then it’s not a lousy robot LOL. I am talking about something like the Mars rover that can transform for $99.99!

I mean, even today, self leveling sewer camera are common, yet more than half the drain companies still don’t have one. Too expensive, so yes, open a faucet and rely on the water trickling to determine which way is down and whether you have a wye coming in from the left or right. The tethering is needed for the video for power, AV transmission, then when you see a blockage, which most of the time you can’t see except an underwater murky mess, because the video is sitting at the bottom and can’t even “stand” higher. Then you pull the whole thing out and start unrolling the snake. I think to just drop a robot down that can take video, navigate downstream, upstream, peek into a side connection, look up a vent, obey commands with a number of tool extensions like a dremel or OMT type gizmo, and be able to brace itself, or even if flushed downstream, can find it’s way back.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t like drones. It’s the eye in the sky. Big companies use them to see their manpower on big buildings.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.411 seconds