dcsimg

Drill Torque Settings

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@siberian

The PS22 has the clutch and the IDH182 has 3 speeds which limits max torque when you have the trigger fully depressed on the IDH182. The IDH182 I usually just set it on the lowest setting for woodworking and let it lightly impact and sink screws. The second and third settings are honestly way too much (Especially the highest setting with a 4ah pack) for any woodworking project short of using bolts.

Now you’ve gone off topic and talking about the 3 speed impact.. I have one too and use all 3 speeds too.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s a nice tool, I’ve been thinking of getting a mini driver.

They come in handy especially for low torque work. I find it easier to keep them on the screw sometimes rather than using a bigger driver.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Doobie

That’s a nice tool, I’ve been thinking of getting a mini driver.

They come in handy especially for low torque work. I find it easier to keep them on the screw sometimes rather than using a bigger driver.

Those mini drivers are especially good when dealing with smallish brass screws so as to not strip them which is so easy to do even by hand.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I do use them on mine, but mostly I use my 3.6v Hitachi electric screwdriver for the smaller ones ; https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL2-Dual-Position-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B004Y74AU6?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Will, That’s a nice compact driver.

I have the Skil on that’s on the rewards list, picked it up at auction last year. same as the one below.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I do use them on mine, but mostly I use my 3.6v Hitachi electric screwdriver for the smaller ones ; https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL2-Dual-Position-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B004Y74AU6?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I have the Skil on that’s on the rewards list, picked it up at auction last year. same as the one below.

Pictures or it didn’t happen lol,
    Is it that exact one, have you used it yet, if so how do you like it.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Costco had that Skil set on sale cheap a few years ago and I almost picked up one. But I already had way too many drivers so I eventually put it back.

The best low torque driver I’ve used is Makita DF010DSE, not cheap but the low clutch setting and auto stop is awesome for disassembling/assembling stuff.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The best low torque driver I’ve used is Makita DF010DSE

I’m torn between the Makita and the Ryobi, the Ryobi has a bigger platform for that pellet battery.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I keep forgetting to redeem for that. I need one of those.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Costco had that Skil set on sale cheap a few years ago and I almost picked up one. But I already had way too many drivers so I eventually put it back.

The best low torque driver I’ve used is Makita DF010DSE, not cheap but the low clutch setting and auto stop is awesome for disassembling/assembling stuff.

I think i had that makita a few years back when i started to get tools. However i think i ended up giving it away to friend that needed it.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m torn between the Makita and the Ryobi, the Ryobi has a bigger platform for that pellet battery.

True that the Makita 7.2 volt battery is not interchangeable with other tools, but the kit comes with two of them and I just treat it as an independent system.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doesn’t Makita make a higher quality tool?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

With out a doubt but when it comes to a little cordless screwdriver it doesn’t matter as much.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@theamcguy its true makita makes a higher quality tool but ryobi and their multi faceted battery platform seems to make a convincing argument. i just noticed they started with a new garage door opener that can combine with multiple plug ins to do alternate work in the garage. i was impressed. I actually stopped at the store to check it out.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

With out a doubt but when it comes to a little cordless screwdriver it doesn’t matter as much.

My Makita 18voly vacuum is exactly the same as the Ryobi in Japan. I would guess that Ryobi makes them for Makita.
    Go ahead Doobie start digging around Ryobi Japan web sites and find the pic.

Dirty

I looked at that driver and thought it would be handy as a string winder for guitars if I were doing more work on them.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i also use the drill torque settings for pocket holes, i find if i don’t the screws poke out on the other side causing a line of sharp tips.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

i also use the drill torque settings for pocket holes, i find if i don’t the screws poke out on the other side causing a line of sharp tips.

I’d just use a shorter screw then? and adjust the torque so it just snugs it up good without overtightning.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think screw length is tour problem here…can’t just use the same screws for every application.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

I think screw length is tour problem here…can’t just use the same screws for every application.

I agree. Are you using the washer pan head type screws that you are supposed to so they are less prone to over driving/sinking the screw? You really need to use those. Otherwise when you over sink them, you are also compromising the strength of the joint because you are crushing and deforming the pocket hole itself, often to the point where it can start to split the wood surrounding the hole from the inside where you can’t always discern it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I agree. Are you using the washer pan head type screws that you are supposed to so they are less prone to over driving/sinking the screw? You really need to use those. Otherwise when you over sink them, you are also compromising the strength of the joint because you are crushing and deforming the pocket hole itself, often to the point where it can start to split the wood surrounding the hole from the inside where you can’t always discern it.

no i bought the kit that comes with tons of different sizes. i match the screw to the size of the wood i am using them on and when i sink them in, it just pops out on the other side.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.451 seconds