dcsimg

Drill Torque Settings

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I use different settings when I drive kreg screws or for instance small screws on tiny hinges

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I never use the torque settings my drill.

Me either…drill are for drilling holes. Impact drivers are for driving screws IMO.

I always use em. Do you use a impact for cab pulls?? I use my 12 volt driver set on #2 or 3 ,, I know it’s a ol school thing. Drills are for drilling but a driver has a clutch for a reason.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

this is a 3 year old thread that just became active again… i cant close it.. can you dan or dabbs

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

this is a 3 year old thread that just became active again

Start low and work your way up. I’ve got a similar hammer drill and I love the torque options.

The post above is only a year old…

Doobie

Might be an old thread, but it’s interesting to have read here how many are just like me. 99% of the time, I never touch my torque settings. Stays on max torque pretty well all the time.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Might be an old thread, but it’s interesting to have read here how many are just like me. 99% of the time, I never touch my torque settings. Stays on max torque pretty well all the time.

Max torque will handle most all situations. The reason whey you would mess around with torque settings is to install fasteners without stripping. If you are doing a lot of sheet metal work you need to find the setting that gets it tight but does not strip it out. Same with that furniture that is made of particle board, max torque will strip that screw out when it bottoms out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Max torque will handle most all situations. The reason whey you would mess around with torque settings is to install fasteners without stripping. If you are doing a lot of sheet metal work you need to find the setting that gets it tight but does not strip it out. Same with that furniture that is made of particle board, max torque will strip that screw out when it bottoms out.

Good points Bill, here in the shop, when we are installing screws for panels or Windows on the simulator, we generally used the torque setting, basically just to save from damaging the screw heads,
    But most of the other times, I will just try to control it with the trigger.

Clev08
    Pro

I rarely use the torque settings on my drill, most of the materials I drive screws in to vary too much to get consistent results and it’s easier to just use the variable speed trigger IMO. I do use the torque settings on my impact though.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I rarely use the torque settings on my drill, most of the materials I drive screws in to vary too much to get consistent results and it’s easier to just use the variable speed trigger IMO. I do use the torque settings on my impact though.

it depends what i am drill into that determine torque settings, and yes i do play with the torque settings quite often to get what i want.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Same here I have never used any other setting but max .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I also find I like the drill setting rather then the screw setting that requires downward pressure to activate.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I do use them on mine, but mostly I use my 3.6v Hitachi electric screwdriver for the smaller ones ; https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL2-Dual-Position-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B004Y74AU6?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Will

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I do use them on mine, but mostly I use my 3.6v Hitachi electric screwdriver for the smaller ones ; https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL2-Dual-Position-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B004Y74AU6?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

That’s a nice tool, I’ve been thinking of getting a mini driver.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I pretty much only use it on my ps21 when doing fancy hardware.i can’t think of a time that I used the clutch on my hdh181. I may end up using it time to time on my dds 182 though.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Me too. I understand when I’d want to use it, but haven’t found a need. I also find that squeezing the trigger in short bursts and not trying to drive until I need to stop and then stop exactly at that moment gives me good control over stripping/splitting wood/cam out as well.

Doobie

Me too. I understand when I’d want to use it, but haven’t found a need. I also find that squeezing the trigger in short bursts and not trying to drive until I need to stop and then stop exactly at that moment gives me good control over stripping/splitting wood/cam out as well.

Maybe it’s us that are doing it the old way and not taking advantage of the torque settings on our drills/drivers.

It’s like my drill press. It has all sorts of different speeds, but mine always stays on the same speed. Mind you a drill press requires a little more effort to change its speed than a hand drill.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Maybe it’s us that are doing it the old way and not taking advantage of the torque settings on our drills/drivers.

It’s like my drill press. It has all sorts of different speeds, but mine always stays on the same speed. Mind you a drill press requires a little more effort to change its speed than a hand drill.

Depends what I’m working on. There will be times I’ll try to set a proper torque and other days I just leave it on Drill.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

When I have any predrilled holes for woodworking I can set my PS22 and consistently torque screws down without worrying about splitting the wood or overtorquing it and pulling the screw out. Otherwise on impacts I just count how many times the IDH182 goes off at the lowest setting.

They have settings?

@Siberian

The PS22 has the clutch and the IDH182 has 3 speeds which limits max torque when you have the trigger fully depressed on the IDH182. The IDH182 I usually just set it on the lowest setting for woodworking and let it lightly impact and sink screws. The second and third settings are honestly way too much (Especially the highest setting with a 4ah pack) for any woodworking project short of using bolts.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.415 seconds